ASUS E-ATX fanless X570 ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME has 18+2 phase power supply

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy and DannyD like this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Is there any headroom left in todays CPUs to make use of the 18+2 phase, 90a power stages?

3. l0rdw00t

l0rdw00t Member

GPU:
    Vision 3080 OC
    Not really. Even under phase change cooling Ryzen tops at about 5.2GHz on the Dark Power Hero so little if any benefit other than a few Mhz for WR attempts

alanm likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Even with normal B450 you can reach the limit of the CPU H24D7...
    But the motherboard doesn't last too long, so i would say it is still usefull despite being useless in a way.
    (what bother me more is that it is Asus... They are clearly not good on AM4 board and on X570 in particular)

5. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Asus Dark Hero is one of the best performing x570 MB out there with the best bios team. Prove me wrong ;)
    Extreme has a few more features, and are aimed for people like @chispy ;)

This is my Timespy cpu score with 5950x on 30c water on Dark Hero, if you want to compare the cpuscore with other motherboards ;)
    CPU Score 18 729

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/21804830

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    l0rdw00t and chispy like this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    But prime series are catastrophic (the entry level from Asrock are more stable and have more option for 50% of the price)
    The TUF perform worse than Gigabyte, MSI and Asrock... (the B550 let me without voice when i bench it)
    Of course some ROG might be OK...
    But there is a huge gap in quality from what they do with Intel and what they do on AMD.

7. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    But but but... There are good and bad/cheap boards from every vendor :)
    The most important factor for Ryzen cpu's has been bios support. Gigabutt has been the worst, and Asus the best :)

8. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I only get ASUS motherboards now, tried Gigabyte, tried MSI.

Gigabyte - had one with VRM die and the 9900FX was great but then when Gagbyte releases new revisions BIOSES the older revision boards get forgotten about and they can have like 4 revisions per board let alone the family.

MSI - boards are either very good or the worst of anything on the market, very inconsistent.

ASUS - Are generally very good and their BIOSes are much better than anything i have used on the market and have been consistent for over 30 years.

ASROCK - not used any yet but they are part of ASUS or i guess they should be ok but have seen mixed reports

eVGA - motherboards don't exist outside the US Market and as far as i am concerned don't exist, i have had a eVGA graphics card and support was none existent had to buy a competitors card so maybe it's better since the GTX260 days but back then they were the worst of any GPU manufacture i ever had the misfortune in getting and have never bought anything from eVGA since and unlikely to do so for the rest of my life.

Of course, i don't buy budget boards only upper high-mid to high tier boards so when an OEM has bad motherboards in that market i hate to think what their budget things are like.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    On that point for Ryzen it's MSI and Asrock... but i agree on the worse one lol

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Havent used Gigabyte in a long time until recently with Intel and so far its been great. AMD boards do seem to be more finicky than Intel though.