Asus Dual 2080 rumbling noise

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jason Palmer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    So my 6 mth old Asus Dual 2080 oc started making a clicking noise about 2 weeks ago that went from slight ticking when fans start to rumbling noise when at 100%. After initially thinking it was my corsair h115i pump I checked all fans in case all was fine system had not been opened since the 2080 was installed in September last year so doubted it was a 6 mth old vga card. It was and there was a fin missing on the fan nearest the power connector. I have never seen this before neither do I understand how a working fan can just break, so now the torture of RMA. Hopefully it will be straight forward but expect to be without a card for a month, anyone else had problems with Asus Dual 2080 fans?
    What to do for a whole month.

2. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    Well it is not good news for me, I will never buy an ASUS product again their warranty is not worth the paper it printed on. I brought from Ebuyer and they are saying that it is physical damage that a fin broken off of the graphics card even though card was installed 6 moths ago and not moved but fan became faulty. So poor. Any one got any advice it would be most helpful as I will now have a £720 paperweight oh im so angry.

3. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    I would first take a deep breath. A broken fan does not create an $800 paper weight. If they wont replace the fan...buy one for 3 dollars or a used cooler on ebay and replace it yourself. If you dont like that sell me you paper weight for paper weight prices!

Jason Palmer likes this.
  4. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    :) Now that would be a great for you, but I have just ordered this from ali express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/87m...lgo_pvid=1fc9064b-c9f8-4821-9cf5-7dcad3a95da1

should do the trick. Just annoyed that the fan broke under warranty it is the only moving part on a VGA card it is the most common thing to fail yet ASUS don't have spares or sell them or repair it and neither can the reseller. So I am going to do it myself. Just hope this fan set is good enough.

I will get my card back from reseller glue the fin back on perfectly and then replace when these fans arrive as they will take a month from China

5. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Blessing in disguise.

https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=4075

Jason Palmer likes this.
  6. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    The chance would be a fine thing be nice to be able to afford another £350 on a custom loop and then another £140 on vga block makes it an expensive card I already have a h115i pro rgb cooling the cpu so would be a waste, not sure if there are any aio for 2080 gpus.

7. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    I made one for my vega 64 out of an old cooler master pesidone I had laying around. 4 holes drilled in the connector plate, the appropriate screws, heat fins and I was good.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    This card been running super fine with me. Had another card that broke a fan blade (MSI GTX 770) but never had an issue with it. Guess every design is different in some way, but can see how a broken blade can off-balance the card or create audible turbulence.

9. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    Yeah one fan blade broke made everything vibrate badly didn't want to run it in that state as would of eventually caused damage to the pcie slot and the bearings would prob last a week. Could snap a blade opposite the broken one to try and balance it out but gonna glue fin back on with super glue and wait for the fans I ordered from ali express. Got to wait till I receive my card back from supplier which could take a while. Push come to shove then it some noctua 92mm or 80mm pwm fans and cable ties :)

10. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    Update. So got card back from ebuyer unfixed, tried to glue the fin back on but to no avail. Broke fin off opposite side and it still vibrates but not as much. So will wait for the replacement fans that I ordered last week. I do have a concern though. The Everflow fans that are on this card run at 3300 rpm max, but the fans that I have ordered and they are the only spare available anywhere for an Asus Dual RTX 2080 oc I can find anywhere say they only do 2000 rpm. No my concern is will these cool the card enough? Anyone have any knowledge on these fans https://www.aliexpress.com/item/87m...lgo_pvid=1fc9064b-c9f8-4821-9cf5-7dcad3a95da1 Thanks anyone

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Didnt think the Duals fans went to 3300rpm, but tried custom 100% fan setting in AB and they get up to 3033rpm. Guess you have little choice but to wait till the fan arrives and test how bad the cooling is affected. I know Asus support sucks, but any chance they can sell you a replacement fan? Contact their support and tell them that for a $800 card, they at least have some moral or ethical obligation to help, even if you have to pay for it. I know I would not sit idly by and tolerate complete non-action by them.

Jason Palmer likes this.
  12. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    Asus will not even give me a quote for replace just the fan unless I send it to their service centre, it takes 5 min at most to replace this fan, 5 little screws for the cover, and four screws for the fan, they are just unbelievable I'm gonna try again with them but I don't hold up much hope. The Asus Dual uses an Everflow T129215SH 0.3A 88mm fan but cannot find it anywhere, hopefully will become available as the card gets older but at least I can see what this new fan will be like hopefully OK. If not then I will get a noctua fan and cable tie it. Don't plan on selling the card so will be fine I guess.

13. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    Well I tried again with Asus to try and get a quote from them to replace the second fan on the Dual 2080 oc it is the fan with the white connector and I get the same crappy reply from them. Will not buy Asus again as their customer service is awful the worse I have come across in my many years. their reply.

Dear Jason Palmer,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to let you know that a cost estimate can only be given when the product is with the repair centre.

Our apologies for the inconveniences caused to you.

Kind Regards,
    Mieke van T.

ASUS UK Support team
    Email: https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm?lang=en-uk
    Online support: http://www.asus.com/uk/support/

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    TBH, I would rather send it to Asus and get the proper fan replacement than risk the lower RPM one you ordered. I doubt they will charge too much for it. Even if $50 to replace it, I would still do it, although I doubt they will charge that much. Its just a fan after all.

15. Ruf89

Ruf89 New Member

GPU:
    I've never had a problem with Asus, I cross my fingers. I know friends with MSI and they are also very happy.

Last edited: May 2, 2019

16. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
  17. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  18. haar

haar New Member

GPU:
    zotac 680 AMP!(1241,7000)
    seeing how you are SOL, i second the motion for you to go “hardcore” watercooling... using the (IMO) king of watercooling, ekwb.com.
    if you have a asus dual-2080-O8G, you are in luck and the EK-vector re rgb fits. (the configurator lists it as GtG) yes it is pricey. around the same price as your GPU... for the system.

i use AIO coolers,on the cpu and gpu, because i had a gtx980 and you can use adapters like the nxzt g12/10... (i that system i had three nzxt AIO’s... in a thermaltake v20 gt. )
    then i moved to a gtx1660ti... and found out i am SOL for AIO’s because the spacing on the gpu’s heatsink is 52mm, and EVERY card before it has a larger spacing. i am guessing the reason is because gddr6 is very sensitive to circuit board warping. for example, gddr6 is so fast that roughness, vias, and the path that circuit traces take to the gpu affect the signal quality... meaning, go the waterblock route.

more expensive! yes, but take it as a silver lining as a previous poster suggested...

if the replacement fan does not work try removng the fan shroud and zip tie two Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM’s on to the Gpu heatsink...

IMO go the water cooling route...

19. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    I think I have look everywhere I seen these and was thinking that I could use a strix fan get the 4wire one and just extend the cable but will try the one when it comes and go from there. But if anyone does come across a Asus Dual 2080 fan then please let me know, and will help anyone else with same issue.

Thanks

20. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer Member

GPU:
    rtx 2080 asus dual
    I have looked at the kit and gone through their configurator and yes it is very nice but yes pricey indeed maybe ill get a piece each month and by Christmas will have a custom loop, who knows depend if the wife thinks a custom loop is as cool as I do which I doubt as it does not dance sing or act an idiot on t.v