ASUS Announces its ROG SWIFT PG27UQ (DisplayHDR 1000 certified)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still to pricey for me, by far. I already wasn't sure about my last monitor's pricing (Acer Xb270HU, cost above 800€ for me back then), but this is three times as expensive for 4K + "HDR"... no thanks.

btw, what does "with an overclockable 144Hz refresh rate" mean? That "overclockable" wording confuses me... please, if somebody knows what's meant with that, help me learn.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  3. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I've been using 4K 28" for a year (Acer XB280HK). For work, 28"4k is nice. For gaming, I recommend going bigger with 4K, 32" at least.

My next jump will be 32" 4k high refresh rate monitor, maybe that would happen in 1 or 2 years.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Too expensive and too small. Also, HDR is a mess, and good luck achieving that 142fps with current GPU's.

Solfaur likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah... I wonder how many people will later post here "I bought that 4K screen, what GPU do I need now? Stupid GPUs can't drive this display!" :D

Noisiv, Solfaur and cryohellinc like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Getting such monitor is an investment and act as an insurance you not gonna need a new monitor for a decade or more.

So there might not be powerful enough GPU to drive it now, or game video settings have to be reduced drastically to achieve 4k@144fps for now.
    However, as new GPUs get released you always will be able to squeeze until last fps, without wasting performance.

Monitors are not replaced as frequently as GPUs.

Dragam1337 and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    How about NOPE.

Other technical things aside, that I won't mention again, as they were by others time and time again, I could maybe, MAYBE get over the ridiculous price, if the panel would have been a 32'+.

Also, I can already see the endless threads of people with more money than sense complaining about the very likely shitty panel quality and loterry just like with the previous generation of 1440p IPS g-sync monitors. :rolleyes:

Noisiv and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    It's too expensive.. too small.. IPS + certified 1000 nits - It's need to be measured, and tested by expert - first.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yeah I know, you are right of course. I bought my own screen with the picture in mind that I'd want to drive it at it's specs now, but yes such a monitor could be seen for future purpose. Don't expect it to run at it's specs with all the eye candy in games, but certainly it's neat, even if that "insurance" has more than a hefty price tag. But actually I was more referring to what Solfaur said, this:

:D

10. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Eh, sounds like anywhere from from 300% to 500% margin :D

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I do not agree. That is a completely dumb action to do.

Why bother buying such a monitor now when you can't use it at it's potential, when you can buy a similar or identical monitor in 2-3 years for half the price (or less), when theoretically GPU's should have caught up in performance to drive this thing.
    Having 4K and HDR is one thing, because there'a also 2D, movie viewing and professional work which needs high detail... but 4K 142-144 FPS is simply not possible for gaming (which is the target of this monitor)

But I'm sure there will be a bunch of rich and dumb "gamers" that will buy it anyway.

BReal85 and Solfaur like this.
  12. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    This thing would need 10,000 zones to not be significantly hampered by the fact that it's an IPS panel. Better make sure you use it in a bright-ass room like in these photos

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Ok what in the world is a Nitt?! 1000 Nitts and Gritz and bittz its driving me Crazy!

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I like the spec but i’d only pay £1500 tops. Until they stop price gouging they can frak off

ivymike10mt likes this.
  15. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    HDR (in its many varieties) is definitely not worth the current premium. It provides such a small benefit compared to a decent monitor with good contrast and color. This pricing is silly.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nitt is basically the brightness level, Basically this screen in theory should have amazing whites and amazing blacks (unless they mess it up)

nz3777 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    So you're saying you'd select a TN panel or a VA panel over this IPS?? Not sure what tech you're basing this off of, but this type of panel they're using is going to offer the best picture at the current moment in time...

18. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Yes, it probably will with both HDR activated or not, and that's painful for most of us to hear because almost none of us can afford it, and those of us who can afford it are hesitant as hell to spend that much on a small gaming monitor. It makes us think our existing monitors will look like cheap TN garbage compared to this thing, and since we can't afford it, that means we no longer have the best experience on our PC's. That means our nice GPU goes to waste because we now have cheap TN garbage. That means every time we load up our favorite game, we are haunted by the thought that this game would look so much better in HDR on one of those expensive monitors. We have to suck it up and deal with having cheap TN crap or fork over the $2,000.
    In other words, unless you buy this monitor, whatever monitor you currently have is like a horse and carriage in a fairytale. It turns to cheap TN crap at the midnight upon this monitors release.

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    IF only this monitor have warranty will last at least a decade
    then probably its good value getting it

but this monitor only have standard 3year warranty (not sure how long just cmiiw)
    so the rest of 7year ... just hope the display last before you eventually use it fully its potential

and also think, how long we getting a GPU that have enough power to drive 4k@144fps?
    there no clear estimation yet.... even if u think its investment, it just a waste investment imo

i would rather just get the display i need, say for now enough at 1440p@144fps....
    and replace it with 4k@144fps when i can use it fully
    the cost / money we spend will same if not cheaper

sverek likes this.
  20. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t

I'm getting 140-160 fps in 4k in Battlefield 1 wit all settings @ ultra. Using 2x 1080ti with 7980xe @ 4600mhz and 4000 cl17 memory. (Cpu isn't just for gaming)