1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS A7a266, WinME "Wrong version of Windows"

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by muffmuncher, Jul 17, 2001.

1. muffmuncher

muffmuncher Guest

Hey ppl,<br>
    <br>
    Iam getting a wierd error, I just installed a new Asus A7A266 and an Athlon 1.4GHz. All seems well in the bios, everything is in order. When I try to run the WinME setup app, it tells me that I have the wrong version!! This copy of WinME shipped with a Dell machine of mine. Does this matter, if it doesnt, what is going on here?<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Athlon 1.4<br>
    ASUS A7A266<br>
    GeForce 2GTS<br>
    Maxtor 40BG Diamond<br>
    (CD drive, nothing else installed in PCI slots)

2. muffmuncher

muffmuncher Guest

I trawled the net for a couple of hrs and found out that OEM's can change the BIOS info on the CD to look for Dell BIOS's. ANyone know where I can get a copy of 98SE? Seem to be all out at the stores!<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    thanks.

3. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Ok if it allready has windows on the system you need to go into the windows folder and rename win.com to win.old then try the install if it still wont do it and you want to boot in windows agian you have to use dos type in path=c:\windows\command then hit enter.Next type in cd windows then hit enter.<br>
    Last type in ren win.old win.com hit enter then reboot.That will put it back the way it was.. <br><br><i>This message was edited by martysweb on 16 Jul 2001 10:09 PM</i>