Asus 6970 DCII temp too high

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Alkerion, Jul 29, 2011.

1. summmat

summmat Member

GPU:
    HIS 6950 (unlocked)
    Alkerion, how many monitors do you have?

I have a reference-cooled 6950 (flashed to 6970) and as I have two monitors connected, the clocks are automatically raised at idle to 500mhz core, and 1375 (aka full speed) on the memory. Initially I thought the card was faulty but then noticed the AMD drivers dont allow the cards to enter their true 'idle' (250 core, 150 mem) mode due to having to drive a second monitor.

If you have more than one monitor, try disabling all but one - I suspect you will soon see temperatures dropping! I've not found a reliable way to force the clocks down with more than one active monitor.

edit:

@Hilbert Hagedoorn: Please gently poke AMD to fix this in future GPU's - pretty sure its related to GDDR5. It's damn irritating for multi-monitor users!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi,

Just one Dell 3007 30'' monitor is connected to my PC.

GPU speed is 250Mhz in 2D mode.

BR

3. summmat

summmat Member

GPU:
    HIS 6950 (unlocked)
    Was worth a check - as thats what confused me with my temps.

What voltage is the GPU at idle? GPU-Z or Afterburner should tell you.

4. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Everything is default.
    From memory it's something like 0.825V

I monitor with Asus beta (alpha) software GPU Tweak.

Will post few screenshots in one hour or two.

BR

5. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Okay !

The case :
    [​IMG]

The numbers :
    [​IMG]

The facts :
    It's to my big surprise an airflow issue. :eek3:
    I don't understand how as I've many fans....

In my case the GPU fan speed as no impact.

New chassis will probably solve this.
    To follow...

6. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Nice chart. So it is clearly air flow. It's not the quantity, it's the directionality.

I had a server case, as well. And my temps were poor. My GPU cooler was just dispersing the hot air within the case and it wasn't actually going out.

When I upgraded to an appropriate case, my temps decreased. Intake air has to come through the front, pass horizontally through the case from front to back, and then out the rear.

That's why I posted earlier that assuming your air flow is good, you need to increase GPU fan speed. When you get your new case, GPU fan speed will, of course, become an important factor.

Considering the fact that you were/are willing to upgrade your case, it apparently was a good idea to test with and w/o an open side panel.

Anyway, no doubt your shiny new case will give you great air flow.

7. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    6 cm Fans do not move a lot of air at all.

Get 12 or 14 cm fans for your new case and you will have good airflow.

Some advice: get something like this http://www.hoh.de/Daemmung-Daemmungsmatten_be_quiet_Big_Stoffvlies_BGZ14_i1052_10496_0.htm

For a case like the Obsidian 800 Big Tower you will need 2 sets and it will greatly improve your temperatures and airflow while absorbing the fan and HDD noise generated inside the case.

For attaching the fans without producing vibrations in your case use these: http://www.hoh.de/PC-Komponenten/Case_Modding/Luefter/Zubehoer/EKL_Alpenfoehn_Case_Spaetzle_-_4_Stueck_i1896_55958_0.htm

Definitely worth it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi !

Thanks for your recommendations.

I've used 6cm because I cannot user bigger on the rear, no other choice.

I already use damping material and "rubber" for the fans, I agree with you that's good.

For the HDD I use a damping case, no noise from it anymore.

BR

9. Psycho101

Psycho101 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    You have a lot of fans in your current case, however they're not ideal. The three 60mm won't be pushing much air at all and the CFM/noise ratio will also be very poor.

Ideally you want a fan on the side of the case, directly over the graphics card, bringing in cool ait from outside. My CM 690II Advanced has great air flow, but remove the side pannel fan and my temps increase by ~8c for a single card and more for SLI/Crossfire.

If you're getting the 800D, see if there's an option to buy a side pannel with a blow hole. If there isn't you might want to consider another chassis.

If silence is important, something like the Fractal Design Define XL would suit you better. It has heavy bitumen sound dampening already fitted. That case also accepts large fans of 140mm +. I believe it's supplied with one 140mm front, a 180mm top and a 140mm rear fan. There's also space for another front fan as standard, a third (120mm) via a 5.25" bay converter and a 140mm side pannel fan. You can get Noctua fans that will fit (the 140mm models with 120mm mounts fit perfectly), but the supplied fans are very quiet.

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=54

This is going to be the case I use for my next build, without a doubt.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hello !

Ordered the Fractal Design Define XL too as it seems to be damn good too.

Will see the one I keep once received. :)

BR

11. Cry

Cry Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    So you got an 800D and a fractal xl coming now?!

12. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Yep ! :)

Fractal should arrive first at home as on stock to a shop nearby :)

I'll try to find the time to move everything to Fractal by end of next week then I'll post some new numbers to compare :)

BR

13. Cry

Cry Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    Cool, u sending the 800D back then?

14. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    OK,

Fractal XL case received yesterday and PC moved into this new chassis tonight :)

My PSU is too big and cables too short to be able to use the holes and fit the cables on the back.
    I've had to remove the plate to be able to connect all of them.

I've connected the front fan directlly to the mainboard, and the two on the back to the variator delivered with the chassis.

I've performed the same measurments than last day, sadly the ambient temp is rather high tonight, 27°C :eek:

I've also measured the noise produced by the PC.

Here are the numbers :

[​IMG]

In term of temperature it's better, sadly I can't compare apples to apples tonight, I'll have to wait ambient temp to be 24°C to know the exact gain.

In term of noise the gain is rather low, just one dB at idle, not that much, I've expected more in fact.

BR

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    am going through the same thing atm. i had great temps previously but then noticed my cpu temps were rising up to 75c so i thought bugger! my gpu temps (i redid my 580 paste after 4 months or so) and were fine 30c-35c to 70-80c tops.

i rebuilt + found cpu coolers paste crap and a lot of dust on the heatsink. am def going to get a h20 cooler for cpu next build.

in the rebuild i though why not place the psu at the top of the case (haf32) and then there would be a fan/s at the bottom blowing cool up for the 580 to suck in then exhaust.

result now my cpu temps are back down to 65c tops. which is ok for my voltage n oc. mines a co so needs a fair ol whack of volts.

but...gpu idle temp is now 40c. but have done some testing and the load temps are the same as previous.

so similar to your case i think the idle temps are higher than usual but your load temps are fine and am sure the new case will sort out everything. nice choices.

have ordered some scythes for the bottom of my case to see if that helps or i might try and stick one in at the top (i moved the top one to the bottom). has to be an airflow issue am sure. maybe a top fan is essential to suck out the air...

good luck!

p.s it is summer as someone has pointed out :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

16. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi,

Changed the thermal paste for OCZ freeze and won 1-2°C.

Not a lot but still better than nothing :)

Will try to close the opening between PSU and Mobo to see if it improve.

To follow....

BR

17. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    The fact that your GPU temperature does not respond whatsoever to increased fan speed (delta 1c from 10% to 100% fan speed is nothing) means that the hot air is not being removed efficiently from the case. The card's fans are blowing the same air on to the GPU that is being blown off of it, more or less.
    I don't know if your case fans are running as fast as they can. I would guess that they aren't, seeing as you are actually walking around measuring decibles... :3eyes:

Add more fans to your case to its full capacity. A side fan will surely help blow cool air in the direction of the GPU but more importantly, the hot air needs to be removed (outtake) better.

In air cooling, it's always a trade off between sound and temperature. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

18. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hello !

Tonight ambient temp = 24°C and GPU temp = 37°C

Issue solved :)

I've finally returned the Obsidian 800D chassis as the Fractal XL is good to me (and cheaper).
    I've added more dampening and ordered Noctua silent fans to replace the Fractal.

Thanks to all for your comment and recommendations that helped me to solve this issue.