Asus 6970 DCII temp too high

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Alkerion, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi !

I've a temp problem with my new 6970 DCII.

My 5870 was at 55°C at idle, and that heat my room too much.
    To solve that I just bought an Asus 6970 DCII especially because of the reported low temp at idle on that Guru3D review :
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-radeon-6970-directcu-ii-review/8

It's reported 34°C at idle, quite low compared to my previous 55°C 5870.

Sadly for me the 6970 heat quite as much as the 5870, on idle the temp is 50°C. More than 3 way SLI GTX 580 if I believe >Guru3D values.

During load (Furmark) temp rise to 84°C, with games around 75°C, also far away from the reported 61°C Guru3D temp.

I've a BIG BIG case, with two 10cm fans bringing air inside and three 6cm fans taking air outside, so I presume it's far enough.

Is my card defective ?

How do you guys at Guru3D measure the temp ????

I don't understand how the temp can be so far away from Guru3D review.

BR
    Yves

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What ambient temperature of your room?
    It's summer, so hardware temperature will be higher than in winter.

Either way, it looks like OK temperature, nothing to be worry about.

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    What's your ambient room temperature? Could be your room being too hot. Also check for airflow, could be a bad airflow within your case.

deltatux

4. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi,
    Ambient temp was 22°C this morning.
    Room temp rise to around 26°C during the after-noon, and GPU temp is around 55°C idle.

With my big case and all the fans it's hard for me to believe of a bad airflow scenario, but who know...

50°C against 34°C it's quite a big diff, and I really want to cool it down (and stay quiet as PC in sleeping room) to reduce room temp, without PC turned on the room temps is around 4-5°C cooler.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I drop all fans to minimum when I go to sleep, and I leave case opened.

In my experience, fan speed doesn't really affect card temperature. I don't have closed card, so I can't compare to that.

If you really bothered with temperatures, underclock/undervolt your hardware or go for water cooling or better air cooling solutions or wait for winter :)

In your shoes, I'd just relax and drop antiliasis setting in games, since they warm up gpu the most. For idle... well, I guess I'd just ignore it or get better air fans for gpu.

6. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    I'm thinking about changing the termal paste, that should perhaps help a bit to reduce temp.
    What do you think ?
    BR

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    don't think that would help...what type of fans do you have? if they are low CFM they won't help much especially if you have a big case because the hot air exhausted from the card inside your case will remain there ...and heat up all your components...a high cfm fan will have an easier job taking the air out of your big case.

8. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Dude, I would not mess with the thermal paste on a new card.

Assuming you have good air flow in your case (it sounds that way) and that the card is not defective (it sounds like it is not, because the curent temps are reasonable) the only thing that is left is fan speed.

If you have an old card, it is a good idea to open it, clean it out, and replace thermal paste, but your card is new, so that's not a good idea.

One of the things that obviously influences GPU temperature is fan speed. I don't think you've mentioned here what your fan speed is. What % is it at when you are at idle? And at full load?

Sometimes the BIOS of these cards is set to run pretty low fan speeds in order to keep noise to a minimum. This often leaves the card hotter than you would want but still in the safe zone. The temperatures you reported here are safe, although they are evidently higher than what you want.

In CCC, you can set the fan speed to manual. Try raising the fan speed while your card is idle to a point where you can hardly hear it and check the temperature (after a few minutes of running the fan at that speed) while idle.

Next, try setting the fan speed higher (even at 100%) and load a game. Then, check what your GPU temperature is. You can try reducing the fan speed until you find the right one for you; the % that gives you a noise level that doesn't bother you while gaming but keeps your temperature low enough for your needs.

So in the end, you have a fan speed for idle and a fan speed for load which you manually set. This is the simplest way to do it although there are other ways.

ps- You can measure your temps in CCC or with GPU-Z or rivatuner

9. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    That's my case :
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=183&page=1

I'll try tonight to leave case open and fan 100% to see if there is any temp difference compared to closed case.

Actually I've let all settings to default, at idle the fan speed is around 10-20% if I remember well.

I'm monitoring with Asus GPU Tweak (quite buggy piece of software).

I'll post a few pictures of the results.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't leave your case open unless you are willing to always leave it open. Otherwise, what's the point? (It is a somewhat odd case. Are the intake and outtake fans all on the same side? If so, I don't understand the air flow direction...).

Crank the fan speeds up! My card (with stock cooling) has idle 27% fan speed and idle temps at this speed are not satisfactory. Turning the fan speed up just 10% to 37% siginifcantly lowered my idle temps but did not increase noise. [This was before I got an aftermarket cooler.]

Anyway, if you haven't tried manual higher fan speeds, you haven't tried anything.

My opinion? Keep case closed, increase both idle and load fan speed in CCC.

If 100% fan speed isn't good enough at load, I would say that perhaps getting a case with better airflow might help but most likely that is just the best your card can do.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

11. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    My PC must be as quiet as possible as it's in the sleeping room, on that point I've a big gain over the 5870 as the 6970 DCII is much quieter.

Rising the idle fan speed will result to higher noises, that's not really an option to me.

What I don't understand is that my GPU is with default settings 16°C warmer than Guru3D review value.
    A few degrees more wouldn't have surprised me, but 16°C it's 50% more.
    How reliable are Guru3D review value I don't know, but it seems to me that's far from reality.

Could be interesting to have values from other 6970 owners to compare.

BR

12. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Reviews always vary. Individual cards always vary. Cases always vary. If their's has better airflow, they'll have lower temps.

The idle fan speed can be increased to a degree that will keep the card cooler but you will not be able to hear the difference. If you haven't tried, you don't know.

If you are not looking for a solution but only a reason to complain about missed expectations, that's another story.

Good luck.

13. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Of course I would like to find a solution to reduce the temps, and I know increasing fan speed is one of them.

I expect that Guru3D tests the cards in an environment that's close to default end user PC, that's why I also would like to have an explanation of such a big difference compared with my rig.

Perhaps I've to consider to change my case that's old and as said quite unusual one.

I'll test with different speed and report results as soon as I'm back home.

I'll also try to find a tool to measure the sound dB level.

BR

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Hey there I received your email.
    Let break it down, the difference can be explained due to the fact that you use FurMark.

As noted in the review here:
    Note: As of lately, there has been a lot of discussion using FurMark as a stress testto measure power load. Furmark is so malicious on the GPU that it does not represent an objective power draw compared to really hefty gaming. If we take a very-harsh-on-the-GPU gaming title, then measure power consumption and then compare the very same with Furmark, the power consumption can be 50 to 100W higher on a high-end graphics card solely because of FurMark.

After long deliberation we decided to move away from FurMark and are now using a game like application which stresses the GPU 100% yet is much more representable of power consumption and heat levels coming from the GPU. We however are not disclosing what application that is as we do not want AMD/ATI/NVIDIA to 'optimize & monitor' our stress test whatsoever, for our objective reasons of course.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-radeon-6970-directcu-ii-review/7

So you are basing your temperature based on a stress test that is just not representable with gaming. Load up a hefty game, monitor your temp then and you'll notice that the offset will be much different and more reliable.

Hope this answers your question.

Oh BTW - we test in a closed Obsidian 800D with default fans running 60% RPM.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah sorry, I just noticed the 75C game results. That's indeed quite a difference.

It can be various factors. Ambient temps, poor airflow in your PC (people underestimate the importance), a soundcard blocking airflow etc etc, but it can even be ASUS that decided to lower RPM at BIOS level to gain more silence after the initial release.

That last one would explain the IDLE difference. BTW 75 Degrees C during gaming is still safe, I would not worry too much.

Our results are handled properly though, as close to real-world usage as possible, it's all I can add/say here. In a closed well ventilated system. other then that it's just noting down the highest temps during the test session.

16. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Thanks Hilbert for your prompt reply and explanations.

I'll investigate on my side to see how I can reach lower values based on all remarks posted on this thread.

Thanks to all.

BR

17. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Ordered an Obsidian 800D, that's seems to be a really good case to update mine that's pretty old.

will see if case made the diff. in term of temp. :)

BR

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hah, I just peeked at your old chassis. Coming from your chassis you have no idea what you will be getting. The Obsidian 800D might be very expensive, but it is a truly delicious chassis my man. Good choice.

19. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn, I hate it when people are so decisive! Out of jealousy, of course. It takes me years to finally decide to upgrade and compare between different options and by then even newer stuff is release. LOL :bang:

Enjoy your new case.

20. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Will install water cooling and Revodrive 3 X2 at the same occasion :)