Asus 6800 weird resolution problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by col888, May 29, 2005.

1. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    6800 Flashed to GT 16xP 6xVS @ 410C 920M w/ VF700
    Greetings 3dgurus

My standard Asus 6800 has been unlocked/overclocked, Iv flashed it to a gt bios, and fiddled with the voltages
    its been working fine for 5-6 months, except for 1 reaccuring problem, every now and again (4+ times a day) my screen will go all wierd, its like the resolution changes to 200x200, I can only see a small part of the desktop, not nearly enough to be useful. It happens in games aswell, but iv found that if I alt-tab back to desktop it fixes the problem and I can carry on.

Has anyone got any ideas on whats wrong/how to fix it?

btw, Im using XG-76.10_ Final drivers

2. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    i get that thing too but maybe once every 2-3 weeks... really don't know what it is about. but my guess, it is related to the drivers... i almost had it stopped until i changed to 76.50. try changing drivers.

3. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

You flashed it to a gt?! That alone could be a big part of the problem (not least because the nu used ddr and the gt uses ddr3). Go back to stock speeds, lock the pipelines and if possible restore the bios - any of them could be the culprit. I don't think it's a driver issue - I've worked through each driver set that's been released in the past year at one time or another and I've never seen anything similar.

As a rule, if a recurring problem escalates, it's usually a sign that something is on the way out.

4. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    right now i stopped getting it for a pretty long time... me thinks it is an overheating problem because it is quite hot here now in egypt...

5. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 16GB
    Probably more likely die to the bios flash. Flashing it to a GT is not a good idea due to the lack of ddr3 memory. Try just unlocking the pipes don't flash it as well. A temperature problem wouldn't cause what you are getting it would just basically shut itself down like a pentium 4 would.

6. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    I agree with adrichard and xaser. The memory timings will be set at DDR3 timings, not DDR1 and they VRAM isn't designed to run at those timings. I think you would be best put your original BIOS in (hopefully you backed it up, if not go the manufacturer's site or go here www.whitebunny.net) and then see how you go just by unlocking via Rivatuner.

I wouldn't think it's heat but a possibility is a possibility :D, 6800 stock also has different voltage to 6800 GT I think. Doesn't it have 1.2V?

Thanks

pz out

7. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yea... the gt has different volts...
    btw, i haven't flashed my bios... he did.

8. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks for all the replies, I did not expect so much feedback.

I forgot to mention, that the bios I used, isnt pure GT, I originally downloaded it from *******.net, the file was listed as an Asus 6800GT 128MB (I presume with ddr1 timings?).
    Also, with a lot of help from Jimmor of this forum, I 'loosened' the mem timings, this allowed me to increase my max memory overclock, from 920, to 950ish (I kept it at 920 tho)
    If I remember rightly (all this happened 3-5 months ago) the new timings were more like the timings from a 6800nu.
    As for the volts, at stock I was at 1.1v, for a short while I upped it to 1.4v, but since I did not get any performance increase I reduced it to 1.2v, the same as a GT.
    Just to add, I dont think my temps are an issue (I may of coarse be totally wrong!) but my case is loaded with fans + heat exhaust, and I have a zalmans vf700 on my 6800 (the only reason why I risked 1.4v).

9. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    looks like u did some major play with the card!!

10. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Have you had any messages in the debug window in the Nvidia control panel thing? I noticed running 76.45 that the driver was throttling the clocks on mine (despite it having run stable at 360/800 for months). I hope these cards don't have long-term problems with overclocking (but yours has had a much more extreme overclock than mine.)

I seem to remember that Dell use some kind of weird gt/nu hybrid (I think it's either a gt running at 12x1/5, or it's a 256mb nu).

11. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i am suspecting that it is an overclocking probelm too... I think that my generic psu isn't giving much power. So, I have the speeds back to stock and everything is back to normal...
    Guess, I'll have to wait for my exams to end to get a new PSU...:mad:

12. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

A better psu is always good... Good luck with the exams!

13. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    thanks man...;)

14. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    yeh, good luck with ur exams omarmakki.
    Just out of interest, why do you use winxp sp1 for games?
    does it give you better frame rates over sp2?

Iv never had any messages on the debug panel, but to be honest Iv dont really check it that much.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  15. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SP2 has a load of resources...
    I have two OS... The SP2 is secure with AV and Firewall and anti-spyware programs...etc which take lots of resources..
    So, I have another Windows (SP1) for gaming with absolutely nothing installed (except games, drivers and fraps) no security at all and nothing to take any resources. I disabled all unneeded services. So gaming is fast and nothing slows it down... I also have the card overclocked and unlocked on the gaming Windows only...

16. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    cool, thats a good idea, and it makes sense, I think I will end up doing something like that on my system now, cheers.

17. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    no problem... good luck ;)

18. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Have people tried FSAutostart? It's the most useful app I've found since rivatuner. It basically lets you shut down every unneeded app and service before you launch a game (it'll even defrag your ram). I didn't notice any performance difference between sp1 and sp2, but then I did turn of a lot of the bonus content...

19. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    cheers adrichardson, Il check it out.

20. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

No problem - it's really worth trying!