Assembling a computer tutorials

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by peanutmanak47, Jun 13, 2011.

1. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Do you guys have any good guides you can recommend for putting a computer together.

Tomorrow the final parts to my computer will be arriving and I've never build one before and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. So I'd like a good guide to help me out, step by step.

Thanks guys.

2. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Here's a little tip which has helped me greatly during my past builds:
    Just make sure that the time you set aside for the build is for that purpose only.
    No glancing at the clock, thinking " Will I finish this in time to go and pick up my wife from her work," or anything like that.
    If you're not totally focussed on the job in hand, it will take at least twice as long, and mistakes will be made.
    Keep that in mind, and you'll breeze through the build with no bother at all!

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That and make sure that don't have anyone nagging your during builds (ex: mom, girlfriend or wife) because it'll make you lose focus.

deltatux

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    The only tricky part for a first time building is the application of thermal paste and installation of the CPU. When installing the CPU into the motherboard socket, you will need a little bit of pressure to latch it down, so don't be afraid....just make sure you have the pins aligned with the socket, they can go in only one way, and no one will replace a CPU with bent pins. Check out some youtube videos on this.

Other than that, it is very easy to do. Everything just drops right in and attaches with phillips head screws. You may want to modify your case for optimum airflow (and routing of cables that you are not using---it helps if you have a modular PSU, I don't have a modular design but everything worked fine with some simple Dremel work.)

The thing that helped me the most was the motherboard manual. My eVGA came with a large poster-type color photo of the motherboard, what to do first, etc.

A carpeted work place is not ideal, but is not a huge problem in itself.

Post if you have any questions.

6. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah I've been reading online that some people go to the extreme and do it on a tile surface naked or almost naked lol.

Yeah I'm only cautious of doing the CPU and not shocking something by accident. I'm confident I can do the rest with no issue. The wire management will be fun because I'm terrible with wire management in all aspects of electronics. The back of my entertainment center is a disaster zone.

And is there anything special I should know about after putting it together. Like actually starting the computer up for the first time and getting everything set up. Like the drivers and doing windows 7.

7. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    There are general knowledge things, such as if it starts up and immediately shuts off then you've got a short somewhere. Could be bent CPU pins, could be a case switch plugged in wrong, etc.

If it boot cycles then it's likely a ram issue. Re-seating it/clearing CMOS will likely fix it.

Keep your manual close by in case you get a beep code. But be warned- the codes are always extremely vague. IE, if you get a code for "hardware failure" don't just assume that something is dead. Systematically take parts out and put them back in until you can isolate what the cause is. These Sandy Bridge systems can be finicky.

My suggestion would be to download the latest BIOS and have it on a USB drive ready to update before you even install Windows.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    lol i put mine together on the carpet with my clothes on :3

my only suggestion is to be careful and DO NOT RUSH IT. better to do things right than have to take it apart because you missed a step here and there. after the first time you'll breeze through your next builds like a champ.

9. cecire

cecire Member

GPU:
    PALIT / GeFORCE 8600GT
    like what all the guru's has said the key element is taking time to read manuals, keep your focus and avoid static discharge!!

one very important point i have learned one every build that i make is to test everything out of the case..if you have watched the youtube video by newegg you know what im talking about..

keep us posted on the build when you finish it..show your MASTER PIECE..