Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Starting to watch, looks like witcher 3 so far.

TaskMaster likes this.
  2. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    It honestly looks like a game I'll have a really good time with. But just as you said, removing some of the UI elements will make for a more impressive showing and pleasant gameplay experience.

But I'm quite happy that the damage numbers shown aren't in the ridiculous 100K amounts as they ended up being in Odyssey. When it got to the point where your critical attacks dealt 250K damage, I just removed the damage numbers from the showing up.

DocStr4ngelove and XenthorX like this.
  3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    I remove pretty much everything, only thing I have left is location marker so I know I'm heading in the right direction and the combat icons, everything else isn't necessary, especially don't like seeing damage numbers/health bars/level number and stuff like that over an enemy's head!

XenthorX likes this.
  4. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Yup, that looks like what i expected. Good dark atmosphere with English weather. ;)

Preordered.

I also removed damage numbers and nearby awareness fx from Origins / Odyssey, it makes everything too easy.

Grimbarian likes this.

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    hah! my friend who I showed this to yesterday said the exact same thing!

I mean the witcher although a fantasy land had a lot of influence from Poland, Denmark, Scotland and England, but even the weather and overall coloring/mood feels like the witcher mind you and hey for a huge fan of the wticher this is pretty welcoming!

XenthorX likes this.
  6. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Oh wow. Same animations, same rigid physics, same stupid facial animations..same identical vibe as the last piece of shi!t they delivered. What a let down.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    That footage has to be from an old build, as the animations look very rough and unpolished.

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Everything looks really rough, wondering (hoping) if it was more a proof of concept/vertical slice type thing.

9. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    As I said in my previous post, it's only been 2 years since Odyssey. You don't make a full fledged game in just 2 years in this industry, especially big open world, large scale games. You need a lot of time, more so if you want your new game to really distinguish itself from the previous one. If they do release Valhalla this December it WILL be rough on a lot of aspects, it WILL lack polish and the devs WILL have to cut corners to get whatever they've worked on out by this ridiculous deadline.

This is a similar situation to what happened between Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Whereas one game was worked on for nearly 7 years (from 2002 to its release in November 2009), when the other was worked on barely 1 year and a half. And no, I'm not joking on this: by March 2011 we already had a "sequel to Dragon Age Origins"... yeah right; the difference in both was staggering not because the devs suddenly forgot how to make a video game, but because they couldn't do _shi_ under 2 years of work. Heck, even Inquisition was only worked on for about 3 years and a half, since it came out in November 2014.

Anyway, there's of course many other examples out there. Now I'm not saying that Ubisoft worked on Odyssey for 6 or 7 years in the first place. But the gist is that Valhalla looks so rough, unpolished, and quite simply incomplete as of now because we're looking at a game that is being rushed in order to come out this December. Considering also that for most of this year developers had to work from home due to reasons we all know about at this point I find it plain and simple humiliating to ask them to release a follow up to Odyssey barely 2 years later. It's not like Valhalla turned out to be a heavily story-driven linear game, because if that had been the case then maybe it could have been done. But no, they want Valhalla to be just as complex and multi-layered as Odyssey was if not more so, they want Valhalla to be vast, open world in a completely new setting. But they aren't willing to put an extra 2 years on it? K ...

To any of you here expecting Valhalla to miraculously turn out better than Odyssey are in for a very big surprise this December.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I echo your thoughts. That's why I will never buy a Ubisoft game on day one again. Far Cry 4 was a huge disappointment.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah, the animations for female Eivor looks very masculine, like they didn't do any female specific animations at all.

12. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    They said AC Valhalla is in the works for 4 years now. I can't recall which video it was, but maybe it's being mentioned in the upcoming events on the 12th.

13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    If it's on a par with Odyssey I'm more than happy with that tbh. But the leaked footage we've seen to me is inferior in many ways to Odyssey.

TheSissyOfFremont likes this.
  14. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    Yeah Witcher 3 beat that by a mile; seriously try to make the game look newer (really really really hoping some turd dumped alpha footage)

15. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Member Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's doesn't mean the engine/technical elements - I'm sure they've been working on multiple historic settings for AC for ages.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Considering there was only a year between Origins and Odyssey launch dates, I'm a bit surprised that the Valhalla looks this underwhelming. 2 years for a behemoth like Ubisoft should have been enough, again looking at the previous two games. As for the main character, I kind of like her, but I agree that it looks like they used the same animations like for a male character. I don't mind the muscles and brutish look, but if the animations are the same, then that might be pretty lazy.

Anyway, I'll probably won't get this one at launch, as I have a feeling it will need a lot of polishing.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Solfaur likes this.
  18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Yeah i also preordered. Question is how old was the version of the 1st leak. I'd say it was prob an Alpha with the stuttering and animation problems.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Yeah it does look like a very early version, question is how far from that version are they at this stage, if at all. I'm guessing the pandemic might have something to do with it, as compared to the previous two games, they did have more time on paper (unless they somehow developed Origins and Odyssey at the same time, hence why they released only 1 year apart).

20. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    You played one Assassin's Creed, you've played them all. Just my opinion...as always. Not a true fact, so don't go saying I'm wrong.

I can also say the same for DOOM games, which is the main appeal for new titles in the series. Guess I'm more of a DOOM guy because I'd rather play DOOM and don't seem to get tired of it.

I may grab it next year when it's on sale...but honestly, I never finished Odyssey because the grind began making the game feel like a chore, and when you stop having fun...you gotta quit the game.