Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    I don't use what i'd call 'superpowers' in AC Odyssey, like this spreadshot, explosive arrows or the steerable arrow with a camera ontop & in slow motion.

If you actually use normal arrows you can't kill a whole camp just by keeping your distance, esp on hard skill. What i found to be a challenge is a wild mixture of different enemy types coming at you all at once: normal guys keep you busy dodging or parrying while archers hit you with arrows, someone throws a firebomb and those fastmoving daggerwielders come in and poison you.

Play this on hard and simple dodging isn't enough to keep you alive. This is where the combat really shines imho. Can't get enough of Odyssey for this reason.

2. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Exactly! I unlocked the fancy arrow types and they were so cheesy I paid to reset my attributes and only have devastating shot unlocked which I don't use that often, I do have the engraving normal arrows act as fire arrows, primarily because it's just so much fun!

Yep that's how I'm enjoying it too!

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  3. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    I'll miss the naval battles in Valhalla, almost got my ship to legendary status and I'm smashing up the seas, so much fun!

5. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Vikings had their kind of longship as fas as I remember.

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Ubi said that there wouldn't really be ship combat similar to Odyssey but hopefully there's something similar :)

7. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Sooooo ... Englund didn't have a proper Navy back then? Shame. ;)

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I play Odyssey on the second most difficult (I think it's just called hard). I've tried several builds, the bow one is absolutely brokenly OP that it makes the game boring. I therefore play with axes. Out of all the active abilities I only use one bar where I have heal, stun, battle cry and rush assassination. Honestly I can just swing that fire axe like twice and kill several soldiers in a group. As I've said, they are quite stupid and don't really attack often enough to make them difficult. The only exception are mercenaries who use unblockable attacks, but you can always easily dodge them anyway.

I'm not very sorry to be rid of ship combat. It was really fun in black flag with canons blowing stuff up, but in ancient Greece with triremes, bows and javelins it just lacks that fun factor for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    I also use one bar only in melee:
    1- kick
    2- bull rush
    3- shield breaker
    4- heal

Only use swords all the time.

10. kalub

kalub Member

GPU:
    1GB memory size
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Third and fourth game could get a bit silly once you got sufficiently upgraded by just jumping over by yourself and clearing these Man'o'War ships on your own, even required at one point in the third game far as I remember.
    Origins introduced some new systems with the archers and Odyssey lets you just throw spears while installing ancient ship combat weapons and upgrading them to ridiculous levels.
    (From a small ram at the front end to what looks like a giant battle axe plus armor plating, flame throwers and a bunch of demigod lieutenants for various passive bonuses.)

Maybe we'll see a more mixed version of boarding and ship combat here, change the spear throwers to axe throwers or some nice not-entirely-realistic upgrades again. :p
    (Boarding axes can be a thing but I don't think they're something for long range accurate throwing ha ha.)

EDIT: Not that realism is a huge thing in the actual gameplay part or anything, fighting off entire fleets in both Origins and Odyssey and what not.

12. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Right, so I've actually been a bit hesitant on posting these links. 1; clearly they can act as spoilers for a game that is work in progress, and everything seen is subject to change or not polished / finished.

But 30 min-ish gameplay footage has been placed on streamable (presumably in preparation for the Ubisoft inhouse E3 event).
    But I personally watched 2 of them and I quite liked what I saw.

https://streamable.com/v812ig
    https://streamable.com/q562zl
    https://streamable.com/9p4nlm

jbscotchman and cerebus23 like this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    ^^ That definitely looks like alpha or even pre alpha footage. If that's what Ubisoft intends to show this month, they are smoking some powerful sh!t!

14. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    All gone :(

15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    XenthorX likes this.

16. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Not impressed. Everything looks and sound very generic. A generic gameworld. generic gameplay, poor conversations and the same recycled voice actors. Feels like if i'm watching a movie in a country where they translate a movie using their own voice actors instead of using subtitles.

17. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Oh this looks good to me!

Looking forward to dive into this. AC's games always deliver for me. Loving the battle music too.

18. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Hmmm. Feels very similar to Odyssey/Origins. But I can see why. How can you improve the fundamentals? I like the setting and it looks like you can play as male/female again. Also loving the naval aspect. Hope it gets more fleshed out. Looking forward to seeing more from this game. This is obviously quite a rough build but I expect most of the mechanics on display here will be final. Looking forward to Ubisoft's event.

19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I only skimmed quickly through those videos, stopping here and there randomly to look at it for a few seconds.

From the looks of it, it seems to be a very early build. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from last year. However, I'm not saying it is so, but it sure looks and 'feels' like it. If it's actually a recent build though... then I wouldn't see why it should come out this year. After all, Odyssey only came out 2 years ago. My legitimate concern is that 2 years is nothing in this industry for big games. I don't know when they started working on Valhalla, but Odyssey came out in October 2018, still feels like it came out just a few months ago to me. If they started to work on Valhalla almost immediately after Odyssey was completed, say sometime in late 2018 (November or December) then that still only gives them just about 2 years of development if they indeed release Valhalla as planned for December this year. I don't mind 4 or 5 years for big scale open world games. Beyond that... it's pretty rare and only for the extremely dedicated studios out there (with the financial means to support such very long term projects with big teams).

The thing is Ubisoft would be more than capable to delay the game for another 2 years easily. But they won't, because... well, I guess that's the irony; they're Ubisoft. I'm under the impression that they're going to rush it. Then again I could be 100% wrong on everything. And I do hope I am. Because to be frank it looks way too much like a reskinned Odyssey. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they took the Odyssey world map a bit like what happened with Far Cry Primal (which was literally set on the Far Cry 4 world map's physical layout, only reskinned to be set in Primal's setting).

20. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Leaked footage looks great to me, although completely unwatchable because of all that UI crap, first thing I turn off, how can anyone play like that? Completely ruins the immersion.

Angantyr likes this.