Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Cough XP boosters cough!

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll get me coat (I got it from a loot box...ah stop it!)

tfam26, Grimbarian and Passus like this.
  2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Im happy you could get that off of your err .. loot chest xD

tfam26, AsiJu and Grimbarian like this.
  3. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Bummer! The PS5 has ultra clutter but PC only goes to very high. Must be an oversight as no fps difference. Digital Foundry latest video explains this. Looks much nicer on ultra clutter.

tfam26 likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah a few settings go higher in the config file but clutter isn't one of these, interesting little change there between the versions.

Character=4 (2)
    Rain=3 (1)
    SSAO=3 (1)

Might have been those, I just go to the ini file find the settings and change it to a 9 and start the game and check what it sets back as the maximum supporting nothing too advanced but eh it works. :D
    (Doesn't work with Breakpoint or Wildlands for Ghost Recon though that variant of Anvil sets it to 0 or minimum instead.)

Works the same in Immortals Fenyx rising I think it was water and environment quality maybe one or two others that returned a higher value.

EDIT: Don't want to set anti-aliasing higher though or the highest will be adaptive quality where it scales between low, medium and high and thus 83, 90 and 100% resolution scaling with it if I recall the values for that.

Motion blur and a few other 0/1 on-off settings don't have presets either.

tfam26 and darrensimmons like this.

5. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

This is great, thanks man. Tried your method of just adding nines and got the same results:

Bloom=1
    Character=4
    CharacterTexture=2
    Cloud=3
    Clutter=3
    CrowdDensity=0
    Culling=0
    DOF=2
    Environment=4
    Fog=2
    Lighting=0
    MotionBlur=0
    Rain=3
    Reflection=1
    Shadow=4
    SSAO=3
    Terrain=0
    Tessellation=3
    Texture=2
    TextureFiltering=2
    Water=2

Basically the same thing but my SSAO and rain were both @2 originally and went to 3.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi guys

I'm getting after 45 minutes or 1 hour of play microstutter literally its unplayable that's with RTX 3090 or RTX 2080Ti Strix, tried as well on 10900k and same after 45 minutes or 1 hour of game play micro stutter

Tried few latest drivers and earlier as well drivers too

Thanks, Jura

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Sounds like a driver and / or setup issue. No stuttering at all for me.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Are you playing Fullscreen or borderless? Tried few things like different RAM at different timings etc but still same issue persist, if you ALT tab to desktop it cause more issues too hahaha, hate that game now

Tried with OC or without the OC on CPU or GPU, will check again what is going on with that

Thanks, Jura

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Always fullscreen. With g-sync and fps cap at 58 fps.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Game might be a bit leaky, fast traveling can help a bit but you might want to see what the game is allocating and paging maybe even using something other than the task manager to see what it's doing with the actual VRAM amount though a lot of page hits over time could also be indicating a issue.

Some drivers I believe can also affect this behavior but some games (for exampel Final Fantasy 15) can quickly accumulate a lot of attempted VRAM allocated memory (Not actually used memory.) and page memory. :)
    Fast traveling can clear it out a bit but restarting the game periodically might be the best until a new patch or newer drivers come out.

I'm using ReShade and also SpecialK which alters the DXGI and D3D12 usage somewhat so in my case these play a bit of a role and other software could too including the Uplay overlay or a combination of multiple software hooks.

EDIT:

Also more generally the game could do to re-learn some of the AC Odyssey gameplay conveniences and such additions again too.

Being able to change item appearances again instead of the Om-Nom-Jom Viking only getting this is a strange choice.
    (Especially as some items but for some reason not all items go from a progression of worn iron, fine steel, polished gold / tacky pimp in terms of appearance. :p )

Removing item categories and sorting only by latest is also a hassle when you have near everything but can't find anything at least not easily. :p

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Yup I'm running on second monitor SIV64 and HWiNFO as well and checking what is going on, its more likely memory leak but maybe I'm wrong on this as well

Me too I'm using Reshade and Special K too tried new one and will test that later tonight and see if I will see changes in behaviour

Thanks guys for replies

Thanks, Jura

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If it was a general memory leak, then i'd have the issue too - i don't.

It is something in your setup. Just do the basics man... 1 monitor, no addons (no reshade and other crap), make sure cpu is boosting and xmp is active, do a clean driver install, make sure g-sync is properly configured.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's also the possibility of the in-game framerate limiter being a bit susceptible to timer issues particularly longer periods of uptime for the system but while it's not the best it's also not the most susceptible to high precision timer issues or sleep state problems.

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2018/08/07/high-resolution-timers-and-uptime-headaches/

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/05/16/silentpatch-wonderful-101/
    (Frame pacing and such as seen here for the patch to Wonderful 101 as a good visualization of this.)

Game -> AMD -> NVIDIA -> Afterburner/Rivatuner (Possibly some tweaking.) or SpecialK

Something like that, in-game limiter isn't the best but it's not the worst either.
    AMD well their "Chill" setting can work as a FPS limiter but it's fairly average otherwise.
    NVIDIA to my knowledge has rolled out several options and the FPS limiter is now pretty robust.

AB/RTSS and SpecialK are a bit more specialized but once configured you can flatten out frame time variance and get really good results but it requires a bit of work to set it up optimally from one game to the other.

https://discourse.differentk.fyi/t/assassins-creed-valhalla/1124/18

https://discourse.differentk.fyi/up...eeba07f1e537bb04d06c450cc4f1497e25681b95.jpeg

https://discourse.differentk.fyi/up...1f9de8a2d5a99813a8d9bb4f5b9e2def298ea7ba.jpeg

Those sorts of results. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I had no stuttering issues with in game frame limiter, but I wanted to use borderless, and it doesn't work then. Using driver frame limiter (chill) with freesync monitor and enhanced sync ended up working the same, but that's on AMD. After last patch I also stopped having random crashes every couple of hours.

Generally though, I had best results using Afterburner, as it works everywhere and I never had issues with it.

eGGroLLiO and Dragam1337 like this.
  15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Is it normal that every time I launch the game I get given like 4 runes of varying specialities? I current have about 10 3.4 health runes...

16. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    I can't seem to get the last story arc to start on the map, it's hamptunscire for me? Any ideas or do I have a horrible bug?

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Crazy frametime instability you got - even completely uncapped don't have drops like that.

[​IMG]

But i see you are running it in borderless mode, which is always a no-no.

Passus likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    These aren't my examples I should actually run the test too to see what it reports although D3D12 with flip model presentation and if supported flip discard makes borderless as performant as full-screen exclusive. :)

There can still be problems with borderless display though and while less ideal Microsoft isn't entirely removing it even if they discourage it's usage now.
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/dxgi-flip-model/

EDIT: API problems and such can also be an issue plus the GPU driver side of it all, there's still improvements to be made and the game has it's share of issues too.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I tested with borderless, which gives me 2-3 fps less, and alot more uneven frametimes.

But yeah, there are many possibilities for issues. One of the more common is having more than 1 display connected while gaming, which he has.

Passus likes this.
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I haven't looked into some of the other issues yet like the way the game queries for input and uses a older version of XInput although I see the previous patch directly addressed one such problem where gamepad input could cause a performance decrease so hopefully that's taken care of.

Flip discard is also optional whereas flip model presentation is required for D3D12 and Vulkan so if that's not active there's additional delay compared to exclusive full screen mode. :)

Would imagine AMD's also leveraging D3D12 extensions through the AGS library more than just FreeSync2 HDR support though not quite to the extent as in Horizon Zero Dawn where GCN GPU's underperformed but there's probably still a bit of extra for the RDNA architecture going on here.

Ubisoft also has some other game and engine and PC support stuff to work out in addition to the gameplay bugs and other issues, still better than the state of Watch_Dogs Legion but both aren't without their issues including performance and stability problems.