Assassins Creed Origin DRM Triggers High CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, that's true in many cases, but certainly not all; maybe not most. I know of people who buy something but play the pirated version, just to avoid DRM. Some people pirate because they wanted a demo of the game, but there wasn't one. Some people pirate games that they don't deem worth their money (I'm not saying that's justified, but that is a reason some people have). Some people think the game is too expensive (where personally I say just wait till the prices drop).

I remember reading an article about how most people who pirate content never intended to buy the media in the first place, so, in most cases, companies do not lose out on anything. But, when they pull crap like Denuvo, they will lose customers.

I've said it before: if you don't want your content to be pirated, make it not worth pirating. That isn't as hard as it sounds, all you have to do is not insult your loyal customers. The Witcher 3, for example, is one of the most successful games (including in a financial aspect) in recent memory and it has little to no DRM required. From what I understand, the game is relatively easy to pirate, and if you were to do so, it doesn't seem anyone or anything is going to stop you. And yet, people buy it anyway, because they deemed the game deserving of their money.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I agree. So far, AC Origins is definitely the best AC game that Ubisoft has ever made. I own the original Assassin's Creed, AC IV Black Flag and AC Unity. I have never finished any of those games due to inevitably becoming bored of the same gameplay and repackaged missions over and over to ad nausea. But with AC Origins, I have a lot of confidence that I will finish the game because every time I play it, I think how much it resembles the Witcher 3 more than it does its predecessors. The genius of AC Origins is that it implements RPG aspects into the character, gameplay, and the missions. This changed the entire feel of the game for the better.

It doesn't hurt that the game looks amazing either, and runs very well on my system :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, they changed the formula a little bit, moving away from just being a parkour simulator, and more in line with an adventure title, AC Rogue was similar in it's approach and along with Black Flag, they are definitely both strong entries in the series but no doubt that Origins is the best one I've played and I find myself doing all the side quests and landmarks which is something I often avoid like the plague. I think this stems from the world being so interesting and detailed, it is quite compelling :)

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I'm seeing much more even CPU usage since the latest patch 1.03. One core is no longer being loaded to 100%. Can anyone else confirm?

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    They lost $0 as a result of being DRM free. DRM doesn't drive people to purchase anything. In the end, a pirate makes the decision to pirate a game and not purchase it. The whole argument about lost sales is a pathetic excuse for suits or developers that can't accept fault.

lucidus and schmidtbag like this.
  6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I'm one of those people that always buys games and then removes the cac from it, especially single player games. I have a real problem with that though these days because can we trust those that help us remove the cac?

Basically the old days of a NOCD fix has become something much more deep. At this moment in time i don't trust either which is sad. This leaves me never buying games anymore unless they are on sale or on GoG. Been burnt a few times with fancy CGI while the game is totally crap. That's why these days i will do my homework on a game before purchase but again that's sad because i have to watch someone else playing it first before i go ahead myself.

The more all this non sense goes on the more i find myself playing Indie games and supporting game devs that actually care what people think of them and their game. That or F2P games.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, most AAA titles have very predictable results if you pay attention to who published and developed it. Also, there are plenty of text-based reviews. You can be informed of how good or bad a game is without seeing much about it other than some screenshots.

As a personal suggestion, look at the lengthy negative reviews on Steam. They're usually the most honest, and sometimes what they deem a con isn't always a bad thing. For example, if you're buying a racing game and someone whines "the physics aren't realistic enough" maybe that would be a good thing to you, because depending on your play style and preferences, realistic physics can ruin the fun. So if you can find yourself disagreeing with negative reviews without even playing the game, that often means its a good fit. If you find the comments about the negative reviews to be worrisome, such as the DRM killing performance, then you dodged a bullet.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh Ubisoft must be really desperate if they need to forms of DRM. Even though I never had any performance issues with Denuvo I own some games that use Denuvo and haven't notice any form of performance hit. Plus maybe the two forms of DRM do not play nice with each other kind of like having 2 Antivirus programs installed that alone can cause issues on any PC. But with the case of the 2 forms of DRM maybe they are playing havoc with each other causing this performance problem.

9. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I know, it was more of a reaction to their pr bs.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Nobody said DRM drives people to purchase anything, so I don't know where you got that from. DRM's purpose is to protect intellectual property from being illegally obtained and shared. The fact that you can't see why DRM exists, makes it plain to me that you have the entitlement mentality which is prevalent in so many of these pirates.

You think that you have a right to enjoy other peoples hard work without paying for it, and that the individuals or companies that create this content don't have a right to protect it. It's interesting to see you and a few of the other posters jump through hoops to justify your behavior, including blaming the developers themselves for why their games get pirated in the first place, and blaming the developer when they try to prevent thieves from stealing their stuff.

Like I've been saying, it's an entitlement mentality. Otherwise you and yours wouldn't be up in arms against DRM that does not impact performance or playability.

11. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    After yesterday's v1.03 patch, there is an optimization in CPU load. My PC's In-game benchmark shows 8~12 milisecs response time for CPU. Before v1.03 it was around 10~20 with a lot of spikes. (i5-6600K@4.4)
    Any chance there would be a performance review by Guru3d?

12. McNasty

McNasty New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 Classy SLI
    Ubisoft is that guy that gets caught cheating on his girl and be like "wasn't me".
    Your rig: But I am looking at you (perfmon)!
    Ubisoft: Wasn't me...
    LOL

StewieTech likes this.
  13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    That's the most condescending post I've read in a while. Your entire post can be summed up with "you disagree with me about DRM so you're an entitled pirate!!!11".

You said that CD Projekt lost money as a result of being DRM free, which implies that DRM gains sales. There's no argument or discussion to be had about losses if DRM doesn't gain sales by driving people to purchase things.

I condemned DRM, I didn't justify piracy. It's a developer's job to make a game and the publisher to market it. If a game fails outright or doesn't meet projections it's their fault. Instead of blaming piracy they should be trying to figure out where things went wrong and how it can be salvaged in the now or prevented in the future. DRM doesn't work. Over two decades of a variety of 'solutions' have shown it's a waste of time.

As a paying customer I feel I am entitled to not being treated poorly because a placebo makes an exec., shareholder, or whoever feel better. I assume others like me are the same.

14. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Might want to check out that EU paper that looked into the effects of Piracy on the economy as far as sales of popular media is concerned. You know the one that was suppressed and only came to light this year as it didn't support the Anti-Consumer politics that's favourable currently.

It objectively showed that Piracy for the most part aided sales rather than being 'lost sales'. There were only two areas that showed an economic hit from piracy and that was box office sales of movies and movie rental businesses. Though the Box Office sales were still only mild. From a game perspective it was a net positive for sales when piracy was factored in.

So please tell me again how this anti-consumer DRM is of any use whatsoever.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I guess people are forgetting that even without heavy DRM's, assassins creed titles have never really performed well. Let alone really anything from Ubisoft. If this didn't have heavy DRM's hindering performance, I'm sure Ubisoft would find another way to hinder performance. That's what they are good at. Sure, if you throw good enough hardware at it, it would perform decently but nowhere near as good as it should.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Does this game actually have DRM that is causing performance high CPU usage, because the main game thread is very passive and those are the people who would know about this.

I'm 100% sure that there are examples people who only buy a game if they can't pirate, but in the long run I believe DRM does more harm than good.
    Saying that, it's their game so they are completely entitled to do whatever they want with it, as are the consumers who choose not to get it or ask for a refund.

This really is a non event.