1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    Thats hilarious mate.. i won't bother with this franchise anymore thats for sure! Btw is there any sign of VM Protect in this game too or it has only denuvo??

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So according to that site, I should be getting 56-63 fps at 2560x1440 on my GTX 1080 Ti and i7-4770K (which is running at 4 GHz)? This is the same as the newer i7-8700K so the game is evidently more GPU intensive than CPU intensive?

So why am I only getting 32-36 fps at this resolution on my setup? Why do I only get 55 fps on the Low preset at 2560x1440?

Could the RTSS overlay be interfering with the game's performance?

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Not sure what preset the Xbox One X will be using but my guess is it'll be High. It'll also be targetting 30 fps and a dynamic 4K resolution, like Origins. Origins actually ran pretty great on the 1X, outside of sub-30 fps dips in cutscenes, so I expect Odyssey will be exactly the same. Still, doesn't change the fact that the game really should be running much better for me at 1440p than it currently is. My PC has a much powerful CPU than the 1X as well as more memory, a faster hard drive and a far more powerful GPU.

Yet what I am seeing when I play is the game rendering at what looks like 1280x720, which is smoothed out by the AA on High. It still looks very pixellated however and yet still runs like utter garbage. What puzzles me is why because Origins runs so much better and doesn't have this weird pixellated image bug.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  4. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    xbox will run probably even medium settings. 1080ti as you have said is much faster than xbox X gpu and should run that game with 4K and 60fps with xbox x settings easily and if game dips even at 1440p there's clearly something wrong either with drivers, or game itself. I hope they will patch that game soon and performance will look comparable to AC Origins.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've just read a post on the official Ubisoft Assassin's Creed Odyssey forum here: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1938753-Problem-with-graphics that the pixellation issue is either caused by MFAA being on and/or DSR. I have both enabled in NVIDIA global settings so I'll see if that resolves the IQ issue and perhaps even the performance issue?

Didn't NVIDIA release a game-ready driver v411.70 for this game (the one I am using)? If so then if they are the cause of the performance/IQ issues then why wasn't it picked up on?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Question: Given that this game uses the exact same engine as Origins then why is it that the CPU usage is so much lower in this game? I understand that Denuvro has been removed from this game (along with presumably VMProtect?) so is that why the CPU usage is lower?

Of course, it's not helping me with my issue but I'm seeing benchmark reviews which mention that CPU usage is much lower in this game than Origins.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    It's the same engine so it's probably more optimized now, who knows. If DRM is what makes Origins run terrible, Ubi would be stupid not to take action in the age of digital refunds, and they vehemently denied that being the case.
    But I'm glad to hear Denuvo is not present here.

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Ok good point. If your decisions have a big impact it could make for a very different journey I hope.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The DRM was part of it, but the game now also lowers physics computations. The cloth physics for example (and there's a lot of that in this game) have been locked to 30FPS to reduce CPU load.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I'm jelly of you guys already playing. Out of convenience I bought the game on steam and it only unlocks this midnight apparently. Oh well... Kassandra will have to wait some more. :rolleyes:

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Just noticed you have to buy the Gold edition to play early which is at least 80€ looking at key sites. Quite a lot of money :)

12. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    This game is a GPU slayer... holy crap. They definitely pushed up the fidelity over Origins, higher view distance, more clutter, higher detail NPCs, higher resolution shadow maps etc. My 980 is begging for mercy... I dialed AA down to low, running 1080P. Environment and clutter I notched down one setting, and shadows... seems to run relatively smooth now.

Don't use adaptive AA! It sucks, it doesn't seem to work and its choppy when I use it.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    For AMD if you overrode it to be enhanced (Or SSAA.) instead of app controlled it messed with the TAA and dithered the hell out of the image causing visual issues and pixelation, game specific profile or back to app controlled resolves it. :)
    And from what it looks like they use a similar deferred render context system as Origins so on supported hardware it'll use and require more CPU resources but if this is available it'll boost performance overall, if not you get stuttering and FPS drops.
    (Origins used 8 of these threads ideally requiring a octo core CPU though a hexa works but it will see drops and it can scale up but it won't scale below 8 or at least Origins didn't.)

EDIT: And yeah I'll just wait for the regular release, extra price for unreleased content isn't really worth it due to it almost being double of the base cost with that.

sertopico likes this.
  14. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    Something is going on with your AA, did you override it with some 3rd party tools? Even with 1080P and AA on low I don't get jaggies like that, its super smooth for me (visually).

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Also for Denuvo if the exe is 150 - 200 MB it's probably in there.
    (Loads of code padding, pretty tell-tale sign before you dig into it deeper.)

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    GameGPU seems to be running an in-game benchmark, are your tests also from that? Otherwise, the simple answer would be that actual gameplay is alot more demanding than the benchmark

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I miss TB's Port Report :(

Party Poison likes this.
  18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Just wanted to let people know that the pixelization issue and low performance issue I was experiencing was down to having MFAA enabled globally in the NVIDIA profile. Setting MFAA to Off in the ACOdyssey.exe profile fixes it completely and the game now not only looks natively rendered at 2560x1440 but also runs at 53+ fps which fits with those benchmarks for the i7-4770K/GTX 1080 Ti that someone posted earlier.

What baffles me is how on earth NVIDIA released a game-ready driver without disabling this in the game profile! I mean considering MFAA is intended to be enabled globally then surely they should have picked up on this bug when testing the v411.70 WHQL driver. Really surprising they didn't and, to be honest, if I hadn't seen someone mention it over on the official AC Odyssey forum then I wouldn't have even thought to have disabled it.

19. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Is it just me or is this game relying waaaay to heavily on characters cursing all the time to make up for otherwise bland dialog? It's sounding way to Americanized. Origins dialog was pretty compelling, so far Odyssey is flat in the compelling dialog department.. I was invested in characters pretty early in Origins.. Odyssey I feel like I'm playing The Bards Tale..

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    It is NOT intended to be enabled globally...

And a game-ready driver fixes custom bits on the driver for a game, not settings you've set in the control panel that you shouldn't have...