1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Are there any real reasons to play through as both or are the stories more or less the same?

2. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    I dont think the 2 chars will differ greatly in terms of gameplay, but it's totally worth playing the game a 2nd time and make different decisions storywise.

Amaze likes this.
  3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    since i have the uplay ver. it should unlock within an hour from now , could someone confirm a VPN trick works ? it's freakin' 00:00 a.m here

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    ok it's playable now , not running smooth @ ultra 4k but it looks good and Gsync is a life saver for now with those bad frame rates , better than Origins in everything

the ost is good too

5. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    So there seems to be a gpu usage problem. It's around 20% heavier than origins in the benchmark but gpu usage is at 86%, this is with a 8700k clocked at 5gig so that needs to be looked at. It looks amazing though. CPU usage is at 65% so I am sure a driver update or a future patch will correct this.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Played about 45 mins of Odyssey... tired... so I’ll be brief. Love it so far, playing as Alexios, on Normal difficultly in Exploration mode. Looks absolutely gorgeous too, more so than Origins... but at a heavy cost...

... I got an ave. of 27 FPS in the benchmark and in-game at maxed out 2540x1440 (native) settings which the game defaults to I get between 24 and 36 FPS!!! Both GPU and CPU usage were below 60% so something was clearly wrong. The graphics also looked oddly pixelated as if it was running at 1280x720. So I set the resolution scale to 200% and the visuals looked much sharper as if they were now at 2560x1440. What’s weird is the VRAM usage went up from 4 to 8 GB but the framerate remained around 30 FPS. And, yes, I had a 165 Hz refresh and the FPS Limit set to off.

Game was playable but I might as well have bought it for my Xbox One X considering how low the performance is. :(

darrensimmons likes this.
  7. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Played for 2 hours. Love the game so far. Playing at 2560 x 1080 with 120% res modifier all ultra except AA low. avg 70-80 fps but as soon as I go to what I used in Origins, same res but 140% modifier I start to drop slightly below 60fps. I think if it wasn't for the 8700k at 5gig I would be having more problems. So for me, I have to drop the res down by 20% compared to origins which is bearable for fluid 60fps but I really think with this system I should be getting better frames. The 1080ti is oc and running at 2050mhz so that helps a little. But yeah, a better driver will perhaps come and another game patch and we should be up to where origins was.

Edit. Managed to tweak the ini files and get 130% res modifier which keeps me above 60fps so only 10% down on Origins now but the game looks better from the get go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I've been very curious about Origin.
    The AC series has always been very hit and miss for me. Liked the first, loved AC2... hated AC3... loved Black Flag (my favorite)... hated Unity and never played Syndicate.
    So, every time Origins has been on sale, I've skipped it because I couldn't make up my mind.

But, I will say, Odyssey looks pretty damn good. And ACG's review was great. So...

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Go for it, it's so much more involved than any other in the series.

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I would if I could.
    But, money is still really tight. It's on my wishlist on Steam so I don't forget about it. But, it'll be some time before I can afford any extra games.

Most likely some time next year.
    I'm still paying for my last round of blood work, and have an upcoming glucose tolerance test to prepare for. :) So, maybe by the time I have the means... it'll have dropped in price.
    Good news is I got promoted at work recently, so, that should give me the means to start paying down some of these medical bills and get back on track.

11. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Unlocked and played about 40 minutes.. The graphics have been improved with character models.. Performance is almost identical to Origins..

While it's a lot like Origins so far, it's also very different in a good way on a few levels. I'm loving this..

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This games runs like absolute jank for me and the image quality is definitely sub-native despite using the 2560x1440 (Native) resolution setting in-game. Let's leave performance for now, take a look at these two screenshots here, both taken using the highest in-game settings at 165 Hz Refresh and FPS Limit and V-Sync set to Off (click on the image to set it full-size):

This one is with AA set to High:

[​IMG]

This one is with AA set to Off:

[​IMG]

Looks horrid, doesn't it? Like it is rendered at quarter-res, i.e. 1280x720 rather than 2560x1440. The only way to get it to look native is to set Resolution Scaling to 200%!!!

And on to performance, which is 24 to 55 fps even on the Low preset (which makes the game look 10+ years old by the way). At the start of the game there is a sub-quest in a cave where there are bandits and here through a crack at the back behind a statue the game runs at around 32-36 fps on the Very High preset with CPU usage around 50% and GPU usage around 55%. If I drop the preset to High (which requires a restart of the game) then the framerate increases slightly to around 38-40 fps. Drop it to Low and it runs around 51-55 fps, still never hitting 60 or higher fps. Both CPU and GPU usage remain under 60%. In fact, on Low CPU usage is around 40% and GPU usage under 30%. Outdoors, on the Very High preset the game runs at 32-36 fps also, again with CPU and GPU usage well under 100%. And it looks like the top image above (with AA on High)! Eeek!

You would think that is the game is being rendered at quarter-res, as it appears to be here, that I would be getting fantastic performance... right? :confused:

The oddity (odyssey?) doesn't end there... in the menus the game runs at 70+ fps but as soon as I hover over the Abilities then the framerate tanks to 31 fps while those little videos are playing.

I'm so disappointed right now in how this game runs and at its sub-par image quality. What I played of the game looks great but so far it is running like a sub-optimal 30 fps console games rather than a PC game. I was playing Origins just before it and while it has performance issues in the heavy city areas, on the same Very High preset at 2560x1440 the game looks much sharper and also runs better; it even hits 70-100 fps outside the cities.

What is going on here? :(

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I'll definitely play as Kassandra too. Should be a breath of fresh air with a battle hardened female character.

@Darren Hodgson Sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time with the game. I'd help you but I'm going on vacation soon so I won't buy the game until I come home again. I can give you my Origins settings that enabled me to run the game at 4K/60fps if you want?

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well that might be a starting point, thanks, but since Odyssey runs like garbage at quarter-res even on the Low preset (it tops out at 55 fps with sub-80% CPU and GPU usage) then I'm not sure they will help me much as there is something else, likely specific to my machine. Can't hurt to try though.

Have a great holiday though!

15. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I got the same pixellated image problem as I ran for the first time Origin, I think it was AA related. I disabled a re-enabled it and then it looked fine.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    Seems not so bad as people say..

17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Dj_ALeX and Darren Hodgson like this.
  18. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    Doesn't that thing work as a framerate cap? I'd say that if you want to bench you should run the test without any constriction, i. e. vsync, framerate caps and adaptive quality stuff. Just set the desired quality settings and run it. The guy does not even have a gsync monitor, as soon as he goes down with the wanted frames the framerate itself sinks dramatically. In any case, it looks like the game is not using system resources properly, better waiting for a second patch. Such a shame, Origins was running great since day one (but there were problems with older cpus).

19. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    The optimization according to gamegpu is very poor.. GTX1080 @60fps 1080p with max settings.. even 1080Τι has mins in the high 60s at the same res.. 2K and 4K is completely out of reach thats disappointing! Apart from that talking now from a CPU perspective the game needs 8 threads with almost 100% usage all the time at 1080p.. i think ubisoft will never learn.. thats sad! And all that for a single player campaign!

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  20. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I think it's not fps cap, because in that previous video you can even see lower resolution tests and fps is sometimes higher than 45fps, so all what that particular setting SHOULD do is decrease graphics quality when fps will dip below 45 fps line, but not cap your fps at 45fps only. IMO with adaptive quality settings that game should run faster compared to standard maxed out settings, not worse

Maybe AC Odyssey developer want to suggest 1080GTX is now only 1080p card :p. Something tells me AC O will be the most demanding game right now but I hope they will patch it. If xbox X runs that game at 30fps, than much faster GTX 1080 should run that game like a dream