Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    wrong topic :p.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I also thought this game would be long and repetitive and would wear me out, but that hasnt occurred yet (lvl 50). If you dont vary your playstyle, weapons & armor juggling, then yes it would bore me pretty quick. Played mostly using the same weapon (a legendary sword) and combat was becoming too familiar. Then I started mixing up my gear to take on different enemies and applying new engravings, stacking up their values and thats when the game became more interesting to me. Have this legendary battleaxe thats become really fun to use.

My criticisms of the game is that it felt too 'padded out'. There are some missions that feel unnecessary, like they were just put in there so reviewers could say the game is huge and expansive with over 100+ game hours. Did not like the feeble attempt at story telling and the extended dialogues (which I mostly skipped). The dumb female fake accents seemed like the same woman with the same voice for most of the female NPCs was annoying. Also some male NPCs were annoying as hell too, that gay, cringy Alkibiades character over-extended his presence in the game imo.

Overall, I like the game quite a bit. The combat is real fun. But yeah, I can see the potential for the game to become tedious or boring if not varying things up to make it more interesting.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  3. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Exactly what i do as well. Got a warrior setup, an Assassin and an archer (to deal with boss animals or go hunting bears etc) in different loadout slots. This is how it's supposed to be played i think, although they only added slots per patch later on. I guess a lot of players were tired of changing individual gear parts around when trying to go stealth instead of brute forcing their way into fortresses.

Whenever i change loadouts i instantly roleplay a different guy since it's enforced. As an Assassin i can kill a boss with 2 or 3 strikes and captains instantly as long as i'm not spotted. And that's a totally different gameplay than just killing everyone and walking through the front gate.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yes I'm quoting myself, I guess that's possible? Odyssey is incredible, and yes I am very late to the party. However there hasn't been a game imo since the Witcher 3 where I can sit and stare at the beauty and sound.

I'm not an expert on the AC franchise, but I do love the story driven games that aren't as much stealth focused. As some others have said, you could basically drop AC from the prefix and just called it Odyssey and had a great game.

ac2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The stealth element is what you want it to be. You can focus on an Assassin build and the stealth element is enhanced. Or you can do hunter or warrior builds and diminish stealth or ignore it altogether. Personally I go for balanced builds in all 3 areas, but enjoy the stealth parts. Its fun to take out an entire fort with 20 or more combatants one at a time by stealth. I like games that give you plenty of freedom to choose your play style as you see fit.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Do you guys use the lock on target button a lot? I never do that, i find it easier to switch between targets just by steering the mouse.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Completely forgot about it. Used it in beginning of game but somehow stopped using it. Its useful when dealing with multiple enemies in close quarters. Am on xbox controller which is more convenient to me than mouse.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    RE: lag spiking.

Just want to verify that since I went 4790k-->3800x, I have not had a single lagging issue in this game since. It does seem to like more cores. Or faster ram. Or both.

Passus and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nah, using the mouse works perfectly.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    So far tried all the weapon varieties in the game and like them all. They can all be devastating when you pick the right one with complementing engravings. My favorite so far is Arachnes Stinger, a legendary dagger with the unique perk where all damage done with it is poison (no need to waste adrenaline points on poison effect). Damn, sometimes it seems over-powered. I can win conquest battles ( the harder take over battles) with ease with it. You can get the dagger by defeating a mercenary called "the Weaver".

Heavy blunts also devastating (albeit slower) and can bring down combatants with less hits. Staffs are fun and combat animations make you look like a kung fu expert.

Tip: sharks are much easier to deal with using spears, so make sure you always have a good spear with you when you go diving for loot.

cerebus23 and DocStr4ngelove like this.

11. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Why didnt i think of that!!? I always struggle underwater with a sword. xD

12. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Same here mate .. 4790k to 3700X .. no more stutters and 80fps with 80-90% gpu usage and 30-40% cpu

0blivious likes this.
  13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I had some controller issues lately. The game would freeze and tell me that my controller disconnected. Then reconnected 3 seconds later. (game would freeze as I got a notification)

Turns out the firmware on my Xbox One S controller was really outdated. (Ver 3.x.x) I had to update the firmware using the "XBOX Accessories" app from the microsoft store. (Ver 5.x.x)

For a moment, I thought my freezing issues had returned. But no. Just needed that bluetooth controller update. :)

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Tip: when battling mercenarys, captains or polemarchs try not to kill them. Get their health as low as possible then knock them out. This way you can recruit them for your ship and have a crew of very powerful lieutenants with much better skills than others.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I did not know that.

cerebus23 likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Sadly I didnt know that either until I reached level 50.

cerebus23 likes this.
  17. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Nah, just use Ikaros to scout the area, it will reveal the NPC's stats, whether they're worth recruiting. Most of them are trash anyway. And if the NPC is worth recruiting, I usually used stun/paralyzing arrows to get them down. Anyway, there was a long standing bug, when after each game load/restart, the crew stats were not counting into the ship stats. You had to reassign all (4) of them again to regain their benefits. Maybe it was fixed in some later versions though.

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well, after roughly 24 hours with AC Odyssey (more like 18 since I keep it minimized instead of exiting like right now thank you NVME) I have a few things to say about this game.

As someone who has only played Black Flag previously in this franchise I can honestly say I love it. Ubisoft games to me are hit or miss and this is a big hit! I love the open world and the attention to detail they put in the voice acting and Kassandra's facial animations are just awesome. There is so much content it feels like it's never gonna end which is good because I'll probably be playing this until CyberPunk 2077 is released. I've said before I've stayed away from the series because I'm not big on stealth games but this feels so much more like a genuine RPG which may upset some hardcore fans of the franchise and I understand that. Regardless, this is a solid game and I can't believe I got it for $10 on the EGS.

As for the RPG elements, there are choices but I don't know how in-depth they go. Without spoiling anything I will say my character Kassandra has no allegiance to anyone even though I wear Athenian colors.

Pros: I love the amount of loot, and the ability to upgrade it
    The open world is seamless
    Graphics are beautiful
    Music and sound is great
    Love how screenshots can be shared but I'm late to the party so it's kinda moot now
    The combat. The combat is very satisfying.

Cons: It's time for a next gen engine Ubisoft. You gotta fix those janky character animations.

Finally hit level 20 and she is looking gorgeous. acodyssey4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  19. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    This game can easily get 80hours out of you, trust me.

There's a Viking outfit coming up for Odyssey as well, not sure when it's available.

20. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I got 74 hours completing all main quests.

Great game.