1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Far Cry 6 in third person thats what this is lol.

2. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:

Ultra wide benchmark on 1080ti, optimization isnt great at all

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The Far cry series to date has nothin' on the size and scope of this title its more like ubisoft snipped up sections from the crew 2 big country map and displaced them all over with water inbetweem. The size is unriveled even for ubisoft. Concerning the optimization issues did he mention of they are using the reported day one patch?

4. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    As somebody noticed in the comments, he turned adaptive quality on and also set the desired goal framerate to 45. Benching on these conditions is not indicative at all. He should have left it off, that's why is getting such an unstable performance.

Solfaur and Stone Gargoyle like this.

5. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    You do realize without adaptive quality results should be even worse? That feature drops quality even lower when performance will dip below 45fps.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming 8G
  7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I loaded up my level 35 save of Origins last night in preparation for this game unlocking tomorrow (already pre-loaded over the weekend) and was somewhat dismayed at how poorly the game was running compared with how it was previously. It is installed to an SSD so it loads quickly but it was not a smooth experience at all, suffering from constant hitching that did smooth out somewhat after about an hour's play. I do have everything maxed out at 2560x1440 using exclusive fullscreen with a 165 Hz refresh and an unlimited framerate but generally the game was running at between 28 and 45 fps in the heavily NPC populated cities and villages and at over 60 fps elsewhere.

This is with the v411.70 WHQL drivers on Windows 10 Pro v1809. It just never felt smooth though... the G-SYNC indicator was showing but it was almost like it was not working. I even tried capping the framerate to 60 and, yes, 30 fps but it was still dipping below 30 fps in places! GPU usage was never at 100% but CPU usage was around 85%-95% most of the time with rare instances of 100% usage.

Last time I played it on the exact same settings/resolution it was running significantly smoother and although it was still dipping below 60 fps in the cities, G-SYNC and the SSD install made a massive difference to how it ran which was very smoothly with only the odd streaming hiccup. It felt great to play. Now it doesn't, at least not for most of the first hour. Not sure what has happened since then; whether it's the NVIDIA drivers and/or the Windows 10 update. Does not bode well for Odyssey really... :(

I've seen footage of the first hour of this game (from the PS4 Pro version) for both the male, Alexios, and female, Kassandra, character and first impressions are that this does look very much like a reskinned Origins in terms of overall look, understandable given it's ancient historical setting. The towns and cities look very similar to Origins and even the HUD, menus and font appear to be exactly the same! The character models do look to be a bit improved, bordering more on photo-realistic at times (which can especially be noticed in the way the eyes look and move) but that likely just means it is even more demanding than Origins to run!

Don't take that as too much of a criticism though as I thought Origins was superb so I'm more than happy to play more of the same in a location that is every bit, if not more interesting setting than Ancient Egypt. They really improved the combat and exploration in Origins plus added a far more rewarding, almost RPG-esque levelling up system. You were always getting new weapons and equipment so there was (is?) that incentive to keep playing more and more. And Origins' location was absolutely massive yet still packed with lots of detail and NPCs that brought the game to life in a way that was more convincing than previous games, even Unity and Syndicate.

I imagine that Odyssey will only improve on that and this game's combat and visuals definitely look a lot like Ryze: Son of Rome, only the gameplay is far more interactive and less linear. Really looking forward to playing this when it unlocks tomorrow. I just hope that it runs well; the one thing I hate doing is compromising on graphics settings and I really do not want to have to pay £1,100+ for one of those overpriced RTX 2080 Ti just to be able to play it at its best (if the benchmarks for Origins are anything to go by it likely will not run much better than the GTX 1080 Ti anyway).

8. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Not sure why you are getting such bad performance Darren, all maxed here at 1440 ultra widescreen with no dips below 60fps at all and buttery smooth. The only option I turn down a little is aa to low as I am running a higher res than my monitor using nvidia dsr. I alway make sure I do a fresh reboot before I start the game though so that may help and the 8700k is clock to 5gig and that made a huge difference to the smoothness over my old 3770k.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  9. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    This is great news, can't wait, loved origins.
    Gamespot have given it 8/10 and ACG loved the game.
    Bring it on!

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Why would you care what IGN says? Or any corporate review site?

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Um, I don't want to come off as rude, but just because IGN gave it a 9.2 doesn't mean that the game is any good. IGN specifically has been giving 9/10s and 10/10 to often sub par, regurgitated schlock, just because the games were "big brands".

12. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Very true, but ACG is someone I always trust and he loved it so...Just purchased the gold edition :)

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    @Darren Hodgson I remember battling graphical settings for a long time after getting abysmal FPS at 4K in the starting scene of Origins. Later I managed to find a fix by slightly lowering a select few things and setting AA to Low which magically fixed my FPS and gave me pretty much locked 60fps at 4K (just some scenes here and there like walking in a lot of tall grass or swimming near shores who had a lot of grass that made the FPS drop). No problems in cities, even Alexandria. There was this weird bug though where walking with a torch in a semi lit area cause the FPS to drop to 50-ish.

I hope it's possible to do the same thing with this game. Actually I'd personally choose the exact same settings and see how that works.

14. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:

300 soldier battle

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    This is the first AC game I bought on launch since I think Black Flag (or III, can't remember 100%). I did like Origins a lot and from everything I've seen it's pretty much this, a combination of Origins + Black Flag with RPG elements.

Honestly, the only things that can go wrong with this is a lackluster story and poor optimization. But judging from Origins (which, keep in mind, I did play ~9 months after launch) the story should be decent, as from the setting alone there is immense potential. And the game should run good too, as it's not much of a visual upgrade from Origins. That being said, I do expect the performance to be a little off at start... my only hope is it won't be TOO BAD.

Either way, I took a risk of which I was completely aware of, so yeah... :)

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    I just re-purchased the gold edition cause i can't wait lol. I hope optimization isn't as bad as they say. For the fun i ran Origins on a 980 at 2560x1080 on very high and was stunned that it could maintain above 40fps!
    I capped it at 30fps and turned resolution scaling to 120% and game looked even better and had no issues staying at a steady 30fps.

At least it feels 2 times better then AC on PS4 Pro at 30fps, it runs like trash and feels like 20fps.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Do you get the AC III and AC Liberation Remasters with the Gold Edition or are they for the Ultimate Edition only? I have a blank Coming Soon icon in my Uplay library along with the pre-loaded Odyssey which appeared at the same time so I thought this might be one of them.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So Kassandra or Alexios? Supposedly the voice work for the former is superior but I prefer to play as a man. Hmmm, choices... it’s a really long game as well and you can’t change once you’ve started without losing all your progress.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Patch notes 1.0.2

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/9ki72r/assassins_creed_odyssey_102_patch_notes/

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Most definitely Kassandra for me, if I'll do a second playtrough I might pick Alexios then. It's just that it does look like they've put way more effort into her. Besides, I've been wanting to play as a female in an AC game for a long time (Liberation was too little and too far back).

signex and Darren Hodgson like this.