Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Unfortunately, DXVK doesn't do much with AC Odyssey, unlike in Origins.
    I actually have fewer fps with DXVK in this game than with DX11.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    mine just shot up 30 frames from sub 60 to 85-90 using dxvk

i had to turn off afterburner as the game crashed if the osd was showing but without it there are a few stutters but 99% maintains locked 60fps

stutters cause 2 or 3 fps to drop then back again

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    4k benches
    1ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY.jpg
    2ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY.jpg

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    AC Origins question (not Odyssey but possibly related). Is this game CPU hungry or just a hot mess? Vram?

I only just started playing this game (forgot I had it). Fresh install from Uplay (latest updates, I presume). I can't get a very good frame-rate, but even worse, once in awhile, the game will just essentially freeze altogether, the last time it dropped to maybe 1FPS, I could barely move the mouse to exit the game. Before that, the previous time this occurred, the game dipped to 1-3FPS for about 5 seconds before returning to "normal" 45-55 (average). I think I had a handful of 1 second or shorter lag spikes.

I'm using almost the lowest possible settings but honestly, the lowest and highest settings don't change the frame-rate that much. Averages about 45-55 on low, 38-45 on ultra. The benchmark seems to indicate the settings make it easier on the CPU but GPU unchanged. GPU too weak? 8gb vram too small perhaps?
    @3440x1440 via DP. (144hz - freesync 2)
    4790K(stock) / 16GB / 5700XT

I knew 1440p ultrawide would sting and I am probably buying a new flagship card this year (and a new rig overall) but I'm still a bit puzzled why this game just grinds to a complete halt with a reasonably good PC.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Yeah it's a very CPU intensive game. On my 5820K rig I was getting ~70-80% GPU usage @1440p, after getting a 3900X the usage popped in the mid to high 90s. All this on the same OCed 1080Ti. But what I noticed immediately was that the game felt a LOT smoother on the new platform, even if the FPS increase was not that dramatic, I used to have a lot of slowdowns and stuttering on the 5820K. I guess the game really likes the extra cores.

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Odd you say that, I've done Origins twice. On different machines, Its very CPU heavy but on the most recent install it has the same as you.

Can run around find then pauses, then fine and then pauses again over and over.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    That's pretty much it. And that's even on a 2080TI. Just out of curiosity, are you also using a quad core? It seems like this game wants 6 or more cores. Like Solfaur above mentions, it seems the people with Ryzens aren't seeing these same freezes. Some mention specifically seeing improvements after upgrading. That's what reading around the web about this anecdotally indicates.

I shut down a few background apps and it has helped tremendously. Some useless MSI Gaming app (not afterburner) and I turned off Uplay (lol). I played for 30 minutes with no freezing. That seems to (meekly) confirm it wants more CPU. That upcoming 3800XT is looking enticing. Or a 10700K. Something.

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    You can try using the DXVulkan wrapper,, doubled my frames but still those damn pauses

so its game engine problem not dx or drivers

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Let's hope the next AC uses Vulkan to fix these issues.

10. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I have a i9 9900k and never experienced these pauses, do maybe the game does want more than 4 CPU's. Kinda crazy really, but yes - lets hope the next one uses Vulkan.

I have high hopes for the next one. I find that part of history very interesting.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Same here, loved the direction they too with both Origins and Odyssey (even though I agree with the crowd that it's not really "AC" anymore) and as a fan of the Dark Ages / Vikings' history all the premises for Valhalla are very good indeed. However, I don't know if I will get it at launch, like I did with Odyssey or wait a year for all the DLC to pop out and bugs/optimization ironed out (AND the lower price), like I did with Origins...

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Forgive the ignorance but does this benefit windows users at all? I saw it was more Wine related?

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    It does indeed work on windows but there are some bugs so just try and see i guess

14. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Thanks, just drop the dlls in the same folder as ACOdyssey.exe? and something should magical will happen?

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Well i would say magical lol but yes drop the dx version of the games ,, 9/10/11 and the dxgi file

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

9700k and a 2080ti, Odyssey is fine which is odd. Ill see if its anything specific causing it.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Turns out it adds lots of stutter to a previously smooth experience, will try it with Origins when I play that next :) Thanks for the replies :)

Passus likes this.
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I also experienced these mini pauses but after playing around with some of the game settings they stopped. When they occurred, the in-game benchmark would register around 2 FPS minimums as very brief drops. Cant recall which setting caused it, but afterwards the game ran smoothly and minimums settled to around 32 fps. This on a 7700k. (settings)

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The game needs at least 6cores/12threads. 4c/8t will stutter. Blame denuvo + VMprotect BS.

Passus likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I guess people can only speak for themselves. To make universal statements that must apply to all is a bit silly if you ask me. ;)

ACO CPU core scaling from 720p-4k

It could be resolution dependent. At 4k I have zero stuttering. In fact probably one of the smoothest games I've run at this res.