1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

You kinda missed the point with that, Its Symbolic to bayek and beliefs at the time, Hence why the assassins do it in the other games too.

Example..

The Weighing of the Heart
    In the Duat, the Egyptian underworld, the hearts of the dead were said to be weighed against her single "Feather of Ma'at", symbolically representing the concept of Maat, in the Hall of Two Truths. This is why hearts were left in Egyptian mummies while their other organs were removed, as the heart (called "ib") was seen as part of the Egyptian soul. If the heart was found to be lighter or equal in weight to the feather of Maat, the deceased had led a virtuous life and would go on to Aaru. Osiris came to be seen as the guardian of the gates of Aaru after he became part of the Egyptian pantheon and displaced Anubis in the Ogdoad tradition. A heart which was unworthy was devoured by the goddess Ammit and its owner condemned to remain in the Duat.

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    If that's the case, Bayek shouldn't be in the underworld waving feathers, unless the plot twist is he is a god.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Not quite god but part of the DNA of the ancestors or the precursors and the very different ways this has been handled since Assassin's Creed 3 and the leave of the original creator of the series and this working up to what might be a pseudo reboot of well possibly the series overall or possibly parts of the existing established canon.

The Isu and their many abilities and artifacts, part of the game is historical and part of it is fantastical and diverges heavily with Origins and Odyssey even hinting as to why that is.

In this case the link established is more telepathic in nature between the assassin and his/her target and hearing their last words and confessions in what aptly looks like a simulation. :)
    I only know part of it too, been following the overall lore and canon loosely but the series is going into some very strange directions and places since Black Flag and newer and now Layla here has some possibilities and they're delving more into it with Origins and Odyssey layering and revealing what is truth and what is false. Egh it's just making it more complicated without spoiling everything so spoiler!

Reality is just another layer of a simulation which the Isu tried to break this cycle but couldn't. Layla here has the ability to possibly affect it more permanently and bring changes possibly changing the fabric of this simulation or even ending the simulation. At least the cycle of it all.

Yeah it's kinda complicated and that's a pretty short summary of what you will uncover in Origins and Odyssey, partially. Much of it is just fractional though the Atlantis piece coming up might give a bigger answer although I don't expect the full conclusion until at least the next game.

And with that out of the way the series is somewhat sci-fi and going into more fantastical elements beyond the realistic aspect of a assassin having a conversation and ritual with a dying victim to where it's more like a mental link as part of the ancestor DNA. (First game went into this somewhat, sequel delved into it more and then AC3 seemingly concluded the Desmond story but then a shift in writers and side materials like comics and books really saw this going way off and changing it all up.)

Wouldn't surprise me if the Ubisoft Assasin's Creed key writer is buddies with the Far Cry key writer because it's very similar in many regards asking players what is real and what is false and isn't really afraid to toy with them and throw things around and even hint or taunt about what is actually going on although it used to be more subtle in Assassin's Creed but then the comics and books went into some very in-depth details on how it all worked even resolving some plot hooks (Minverva who?) outside of what the games did while the game seemingly had less and less real-world tie-ins and jumping in and out of the Animus whereas it's actually still kinda there though explored more subtly.
    (Certain areas in Origins, some of the Odyssey events in Odyssey but the above spoiler is something you would have to puzzle together from both of the above games and the prior titles and the comics and the books all though the games give some pretty big clues and hints almost outright spelling it all out at times only vaguely avoiding a full reveal.)

EDIT: And yes it might seem a bit dumb and silly and it's not just some humiliation rite where you're tickling a dying person with a feather as some precursor to the tea-bagging ritual of defeat but we'll see where Ubisoft goes with it.

EDIT: These comics among others. Uprising in this example.

[​IMG]

Subtle!

And yeah from vague 2012-ish setting in AC1 and now it's all out science fiction and power armor.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

In previous games you have magic like tech in the past, You see a " vision " that talks to you the player ( I wont spoil just incase anyone has no played it ), In origins you fight the gods themselves, A giant snake and the weapons from FF drop from the sky.

But its the feather you have an issue with?

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    The feather isn't the issue. The forced, unexplained encounter in the "underworld" with every boss you kill, is. I guess it's explained in the older games?
    Anyway, it's not that important. The less I hear about the Animus part of the story the better.

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    Never understood why they implemented that even back in AC1 tbh. I mean, a kill is a kill and thats it. Why do i have to listen to a madman thinking he just followed orders for 2 minutes?
    You killed your boss and that's it. Let us move on to the next target.

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    because you and i think like assassins we do not give a F if you got a tragic backstory son, dead is dead.

:p. but they trying to cram story and plot any place they can and the death scenes are a way of a enemy "monologue" wo having to think of a way for the target and assassin to have a one on one conversation before death. I suspect that is why they went with the mystic angle since that allows you to kill them anywhere and in any way but still get the exposition.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  8. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    It's a way to explain the story from the enemy's point of view and add something to the lore. In the end they are both fanatics fighting from different sides as they are firmly convinced that their way is the best way. That's what they tried to show us I guess.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    Ok i get that but they could have archieved this a more realistic way. Say, with killing a guy you also get a key to his office room where you find documents. And when finding the documents you hear the guy's voice in your head so he explains his situation in his own words. Would have been so much better than some hilarious 'Afterlive in the Matrix' scene.

The problem is: those scenes take you right out of the action and destroy the immersion of the game. You stab a guy, the whole game stops and you're forced to watch a cutscene which you couldn't skip - at least in the older titles.
    Then when everything is done you 'wake up' at the moment of the murder - with guards looking at you, screaming citizens and you're being chased back to a safehouse.
    Really hated these scenes.

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    but then they have to script several different ways you break into the office or question the guy in a flashback or script the kill so you can have a monologue moment.

And any way you did it you would begin repeating your reveals.

and the way they chose was just easier why they kept going back to it even when it makes no sense. but but it such a great plot device.

but it always been immersion breaking going back to game one. yea because did the psychic monologues ever make sense? no much much of assasins creed ever did and one of the things i think ubisoft did that was good for the series was embrace the mystic and the silly because they were already doing that in some many other areas with the lore and game mechanics.

before they tried to have it both ways and had those jarring disconnects for people that look for more logical threads to follow. now it like we want demi gods or gods? why not. so the more illogical stuff slides easier.

11. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    slowly playing through this game.. Bit tired of all the control changes for PC for this game compared to Origin..Level 5 now
    Any tips on how to level up fast? Which weapons are best to keep or sell? Which Upgrades are best which are not?

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    First thing I'd do is change the level scaling option in the game's settings. I chose medium to let enemies and quests be upto two levels below me. You can allow it to be four levels below if you want to as well. This of course affects loot. Originally, they'd level up with you and you'd feel like you're not making progress.

I gained a lot of XP by completing location objectives be it bandit camps, forts (it's very easy at night and if you just run and avoid soldiers if detected), tombs (you get a skill point), and old temples (you get old tablets that are a resource for ship upgrades). You don't have to kill everyone, just the listed objectives. I also took on mercenaries to rank up as a merc, which gave me bonuses such as cheaper upgrades and XP. You should do optional quests for characters who are in the main story like Sokrates, Hippokrates, and that super horny guy. The legendary animals quest (in Phokis) is also good for XP and gear. I skipped most of the generic ones but I still ended up at level 42 by the time the main storyline concluded. You get a lot of XP and pieces of legendary gear sets if you go after cultists. Legendary gear sets can be leveled up to the highest level in the set once you complete it so I wouldn't skip those.

Don't bother to keep weapons. You should be getting a lot of new ones so keep switching out. Don't upgrade the junk you get early on, it's overpriced anyway. You can sell weapons and armor for quick drachmae ... and an enormous amount as you level up. You can also break them down for resources but I never considered them a good source.

For skills, shield breaker was essential. There was an assassin skill called hero strike iirc. It's a skill that sweeps the enemy down and attacks with the spear, dealing massive damage. Critical assassination and poison strikes were good too. Fire is also good but fire has a chance to cause frame drops thanks to shadows and all that so I wasn't a big fan. There's a skill in the warrior tree that reduces enemy damage and increases yours and also adds a golden filter while active, it's very good when dealing with difficult enemies. Overpower (both in hunter and warrior) is also a time saver. In the hunter skill tree, I liked to use the multiple target shots while boarding ships. Level up the spear too because you get more adrenaline bars.

That's what I can recall ... the game should be a breeze.

darrenj and cerebus23 like this.
  13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    New game+ added today:

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

New game plus is end of the month

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    Yes, my bad!

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Apologies if my reply came across a bit short, Was at work/

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    No worries, I didn't actually watch the video, just read an article that made it seem like it came yesterday.