1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Damn, the game is long. I have Origins logged at 80 hours and this at 62 hours on steam (with 7 and 5 hours less in uplay respectively?) and I have the gold edition for the former :p I should be done with the story tonight but I still have quests to do for Kass' dad, some legendary animals, and the blue mark quests (finished divine intervention tho). Where is the new poet dlc's quest located? I can see two markers in Elis and one in Phokis.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad they backed down from the forced level scaling "feature". It made the game significantly more enjoyable to me. I wish the cult felt like a bigger threat than it was. Less members like the order of ancients would've made it better. Only a handful of cultists were memorable.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    After killing people with feathers in one of the most terrible and boring video game stories I have ever experienced, Origins. I won't be buying Odyssey.

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    Ha I am playing through Origins now and I don't get that either. Why am I killing people twice? What is the point of this different realm?
    Unless I missed something it just feels like an excuse to have dialogue between you and assassination targets, since they obviously don't have the chance to say anything with their throats slit from behind.

4. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I watched The Last Jedi before playing Origins.

I don't how I'm going to recover.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I gave up after never finishing the first game in the series. Bought the others on sale. Never played them.

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    I agree the post-kill conversations are boring in AC titles, but afaik there are no such scenes in Odyssey are there?

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Finally finished the game. I found it interesting that the ending is segmented into 3 (the cult-family storyline, ending the cult, the precursor stuff).

I wanted to do the lost tales of Greece too but I was fatigued with the game and after finishing Markos' quest line at the end, I completely lost the will to continue. I felt it was a good way to end the game. I had already finished Divine Intervention and started Show Must Go On but it was the standard run around with forts and Ikaros. Meh.

I upgraded the Adrestia entirely except the Javelins but I couldn't be bothered accumulating even more precious gems just for an achievement at that point :p I didn't care much for the ship for some reason. Maybe because BF had the pirate theme, the Jackdaw felt more important. I played it only last year so no rose-tinted glasses for the past :p The Origins naval missions were an interesting diversion and not a part of the game. I thought the drummer on board in that game was really cool and wished he was present on the Adrestia too. I don't understand Greek but I could tell there are only a handful of shanties. I switched the crew to female to change the voice at least and then just shut them up after a while.

Horse control was unbearable. I made it a point to unlock towers so I could just fast travel long distances and ran where I couldn't. Origins was mostly flat so it didn't matter there and the older games had different mechanics. They should fix it in the next one. Even the animation of the character on the horse was ridiculous to look at.

Civilians would get involved in fights far too often. In a quest in Sparta, I had to help out a trainer. We ended up sparring and a bunch of civilians had to budge in and I had to kill them to end the quest ... right in front of the trainer! It happened many other times too. Pretty jarring. I also noticed animals attack you too if you're wanted. Even the damn chickens peck at you ... had a good laugh at that :D

Maybe it was due to the cultists but the game was much more generous with legendary gear than Origins. I had the gold edition there and was basically in a pay to win mode so the difference was noticeable here. 11 v/s 130!!

I hit level 50 naturally and didn't have problems with grinding but it was the level scaling update that helped the most. I had given up on the game until that landed.

I liked and missed the post kill cinematics ... screw you guys :D

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    DocStrangelove likes this.
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Meh. Revelations wasn't good but the series really went downhill from 3. Dunno why are they bothering.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    dunno it i ever played 3 guess i see when they release that. but for like morning light it can be that yellow ish light, but the whole game sees to be yellow shifted.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I think we're going to get another "epic exclusive" announcement :p There was a thread on the steam discussions about the release for AC3 remastered for SP holders but it's gone now. This should be entertaining :D

Edit: Okay I jumped the gun :p Ubi employee posted it's coming to steam np.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    Why havent they updated AC 2 first? It was the best AC title ever imho.

lucidus likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    They did though not as extensively, might actually just be a few smaller tweaks and then running at a higher resolution.

Assassin's Creed 2 Ezio collection. From a quick look it's mainly various texture tweaks? (Could be more, might have to look into it more in-depth to see the specifics.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Console only. XBox One and PS4 specifically.)

Following that AC Rogue was also given a (Also console only.) re-release which revamped the water somewhat, implemented temporal anti-aliasing and I think it runs at a higher resolution though compared to the PC version it lacks the APEX smoke effects available on NVIDIA GPU's.

[​IMG]

And for Assassin's Creed 3 here in addition to the graphical tweaks there's also some changes to the gameplay, I don't expect much of that to carry over to Liberation but we'll see I suppose.

Beyond these there's also the Far Cry 3 re-release but it seems very similar to the existing PC version though somehow it ended up getting a few new bugs that took time for Ubisoft to sort out.

lucidus likes this.
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Kinda silly to bring all these previous gen games to a console generation nearing its end unless BC is a lock. As a PC guy, I'd rather they use Odyssey for a DX12 version.

15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    It almost seem like Ubisoft can't really deal with the fact that AC3 was forgettable for most people. I mean, even now it's kinda the lamest of them all. Yeah, Revelation was needlessly stretching out the Eizo story, and Unity had it's truckload of issues on launch, but AC3 was just a big pile of meh. Boring characters, boring story, the setting was nothing much, only the naval battles were fun (hence why Black Flag was announced, like, within a month of 3's release).

16. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    big ooof. Was somewhat expecting a real remaster. This looks like a new console gen rerelease with a generic bronze LUT applied. ouch

Near EOL consoles are the best market, early isnt because.. erm most people havent bought them yet. They're re-releasing them to make bank. Unless we're talking about something like a real remaster such as Shadow of the Colossus which might as well be a new game as product with the amount of work that goes into that. These AC's are just there for the console player who wants to re-experience that PS3/360 release.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Wut.

AC4, Black Flag, is universally regarded as the best in the entire series (though perhaps not since Odyssey).

I certainly have no interested in a remastered AC3. But a remastered AC4? I'd blow goats and let Gaben buttsecks me for that!

JonasBeckman likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Not quite to that level but i really liked Black Flag trying something different doing the little boat in a bay missions from AC3 into the main experience...though here's some land missions just so you don't get too comfortable with that ship now tail that man! (And only within the specifics outlined in the mission, you get creative we will fail you!)
    (Oh tried using the roofs? Sorry the Z axis is too far away even if the dude is directly below you. Well at least it's not the three trials of the ancient medieval assassin bros where you raced against beggars, poked archers in the arse with the hidden blade and did one or two other things in the PC version because mini-game creed! And then you could get stabbing and the actual fun part of the game.)

EDIT: Ah the archer hunting, well they had it coming really.
    [​IMG]

Though the series has always had the BOTY or Bug of the Year really. :D

(And not forgetting that one face glitch in Unity where while it only really affected a few GPU's and a few drivers or possibly even only one driver but that glitch is still one of the main subjects of AC Unity bugs.)

EDIT: Origins tried but I don't think it hit quite the same level.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I got lucky with Origins and only had the age old problem of being stuck in the geometry and needing to reload and assassinating an invisible target but Odyssey gave me a few laughs :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also had instances of the crew of the Adrestia floating in the air for a few seconds if I fast traveled to the ship with 4 lieutenants but it corrected itself after a few moments of sailing. I saw that AC4 problem too, it only happened at that island headquarters just like in the video. The steam community of AC3 had a gif of a glitch where it seemed like Connor was giving a handjob to a guard lol.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+