1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    148h - 64% - Level 47. Total kills 5522 - 1621317.
    And yeah i restarted when i was level 40 because of broken cultist quests.

2. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Just picked this up. Gotta say I'm a fan. The experience is breathtaking and the setting is awesome, just like Origins.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm just glad they backed down from the forced level scaling. I gave up on the game with the default settings. With medium settings I at least feel like I am making progress. Most fights were either a boring and drawn out exercise or a squash by even single level higher enemies.

They should get a DX12 build ready, windows 10 is already very common among gamers. It's bad enough they have all that disgusting drm, at least try to improve performance in some way.

4. Zenoth

Zenoth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    It's 50% off right now on Humble Bundle's store, from a regular $80 (Canadian) to $40 now. There's 1 day left.

I'm tempted. It would be my absolute first Assassin's Creed game ever (I do own AC3 though, it came with a GPU I bought long ago; never bothered using the code to download it).

I've read some reviews (mostly Steam reviews) and even though the story doesn't seem to make sense (you're a mercenary who apparently never really pick a side, but both actual sides in the conflict taking place don't seem to mind that you keep switching from one to another) the actual gameplay seems to be fun enough. That's the only part I'm 'worried' about, the rest I don't really care about much. I'm definitely not expecting a Witcher 3 level game there (especially not for writing, story and character development) but if I can bash some Spartans or Hoplites on the head and kick them in the chest This-Is-Sparta style and if the loot in general is fun to grind for then... I suppose I could go for it. Although even at half price it seems too much lol. I'll think about it...

But at least I wanted to mention it's on sale just in case others around are still considering it.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea was on sale a few weeks ago on steam for 30 usd? i picked it up then dunno i can work out how the whole sides thing works, i been trying to avoid attacking sparta and just attack greece. But when i get missions in spartan bases i get attacked on sight..your characters beef is mostly with the old man not with sparta itself, but it does give you wiggle room to play both sides i guess.

But the story is a mess in many ways.

But if you like greece sparta, then it is a pretty fun game to run around in doing stuff. But it is basically more of the same of origins just more greek focused.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    Any ETA on the discovery mode?

7. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I think it hasn't been even announced.

8. Zenoth

Zenoth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Alright... I bought it.

Only 3 hours in so far, Level 4; doing a lot of exploration, but I cleared a bandit camp at some docks, they were all Level 4s and I was Level 2 when I did it. I liked to do some harassing, hits-and-runs to get isolated patrols one by one, or assassinating from high above, etc. It took me about 45 minutes to clear it, but I appreciated the challenge (died about 4 times).

I did watch some gameplay videos before though, I knew what to expect from the A.I., they're about as dumb as I thought they'd be; in general anyway. During actual combat they're mostly 'ok', the issues come in whenever they lose track of you, and the obviously-non-existing consequences of a fellow guard missing in the patrols or a captain getting killed. They do some searching around if they see a dead body, but if they search too far from it they suddenly go back to normal "Nothing ever happened, this is a peaceful night; I feel like taking a walk" behavior, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But it's nothing new in gaming nor from Ubisoft games (the same can be seen in many camps and settlements in the FarCry series, and I assume the same can be seen in previous AC games too).

It breaks the 'plausibility' immersion aspect a bit. But it's not that major in the end. I tolerate it, it's just gameplay and then I know I'll forget about that camp soon and it'll only have served its purpose of giving me some EXP to move on to the next objective. That's fine, typical grinding stuff. I wanted it actually. I only wish the A.I. would behave a bit more intelligently. When I shoot arrows at them they take "cover"' but often their cover consist of a bench that gets no higher than their knee, then I'm like >_> ... 'K... I'll just... shoot at you again?', also had a good laugh when I hid inside a bush and a patrol passed right next to it (and very close to me), I whistled to get his attention and he went "Huh? That must be a bird..." except my character's model itself was clearly half way outside the bush, wearing leather armor and a bow equipped on my back. I immediately thought "Dude, you guys have pretty unique birds around!".

Anyway, so far I do enjoy it, it's fine. I like the traveling / parcours / climbing-any-surface mechanics, the combat itself (movement, physics, controls, responsiveness, etc) is overall enjoyable too. And I do like the protagonist so far (playing as Kassandra). I'm seeing some NPCs with some depth to them (it's nothing mind-blowing but a little better here and there than what I thought it'd be).

It's good enough to keep my attention focused so that's a good sign. I can totally see myself playing it until the ending for sure. I don't regret the purchase at half the price, good decision I'd say. However, to be honest I might have been a bit disappointed at launch (without the patches as well) and at full price yeah... nah. Good thing I waited. I don't have the DLCs though, nothing extra it's just the base game, but I'm fine with that.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 ti Strix
    DocStrangelove likes this.
  10. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC

11. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    At some point they'll prob add this hack-your-savegame ability they had in Origins. I actually had great fun with this.
    Made the weapons to hit harder and slowing down day & night cycle was one of the
    things that really added to the game imho.

emperorsfist likes this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yep, I even tweaked the character speed, so that everything didn't sprint around like Usein Bolt...

13. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    Hmmm you know what - i wonder if you could make the game slightly slower (more realistic) movement-wise but then make every weapon insta-kill. It would reward every parry or dodge and give you more of a rush when killing someone who just tried the same on you. Esp dodging archers would become quite a big thing in combat.
    I think i need to try that just for fun.

emperorsfist likes this.
  14. Zenoth

Zenoth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I'm about 7 hours in now, Level 10, finished the first two islands (Kellaphonia I think it's called?); got my ship, raided some bandit camp to "recruit" a guy for the ship then made my way to Margaris? I think? I'm bad with names in this game (I like Greek stuff I'm just bad with remembering their names, but I love trying to pronounce them).

More things I notice as I play:

- The general attention to detail (visually) is more impressive than I ever thought Ubisoft could do in their entire history. Not sure what happened, I assume at least one person in their team played Witcher 3 and told the others "Hey guys, what if this time we tried to make a good game like those guys do at CDPR?" (see, that's why there's a lot of praise for TW3, even if it's not your type of game you have to admit games of that quality happening only once every decade or so definitely have their long-lasting impact on the industry just for the sake of being exposure of quality, a contender that others then look to and try to mimic, get close to, and are inspired by).

Little details like when I swim underwater and graze the seabed I can see particles / mud lifting up and creating a small trail, or footsteps in the sand on the beaches, etc. That stuff is not where the money flows from, and there's NEVER, ever gonna be some shareholder out there asking the publishers "Dude remember I want my investments back triple, ask your dev team to put some footsteps on the sand ok?! IT'S IMPORTANT!". When stuff like that happens it's because one or two guys in the team CARED about their game enough to bother taking the time to do it. Or the game director asked for it or something, but I'm glad to see Ubisoft trying to follow good examples in the industry. It'll only make their games better, we'll be happier in return, we'll buy their games as a result, their shareholders will be happy and the cycle will go on like that. That's all we ever ask for, just... you know, good games? It's pretty simple when you think about it.

- The game world feels (and looks) 'living and breathing', more lively and visually active than I thought it'd be. There's more wildlife than I expected to see, even (and especially) underwater. From schools of fish staying in groups and rotating in circles like you'd see in some documentary, from sharks or dolphins and even freakin' WHALES. And not only did they bother to add sea life, they even behave and move plausibly like they should or would in real life (it's limited of course, but what IS there is totally fine and helps increase the immersion a lot). I had a side quest at some point to retrieve an underwater treasure, guarded by sharks; never thought I'd say this but I had fun hunting them. And the underwater visual distortions and the audio from the sea life is very good, hearing whales in the distance but not always seeing them gives a very nice feeling of being in a living world.

On land as well, wildlife is nice, more than I thought they'd ever bother with. They also seem to have some sort of (at least basic) cycle going between Wolves and other herbivores. I see animals sometimes resting at night or dawn / sunrise, they'll react properly to my approach; or they'll run away when a wolf gets near, etc. I like what I'm seeing there. I also had a few situations where wolves would wander within a camp and would distract guards enough for me to have an extra window of opportunity. However, that I do remember being something dating back from FarCry 2 or 3 (where animals would get in camps and sometimes even just kill everyone lol, not plausible but always funny to see).

- On the seas, I can see ships apparently having their own localized wars / battles. Sometimes they're small and might be merchant / cargo ships (maybe), but at times I'm seeing warships just ramming others. I've seen a few of them just sinking in the distance lol, pretty nice to see it. It adds to the atmosphere and context of the game, giving you the feeling that there's indeed a war out there going on as you're busy running after wolves and collecting minerals.

There's a couple more details but gist is... the more I play the more I can see they put actual effort and care in this game. They wanted to make their sort of Witcher 3 attempt, maybe it was already the case with AC Origins (wouldn't know never bought it, never watched any gameplay of it), but the point is I think they're trying to get their crap together basically. That's good. Credits where due. When I see something is well crafted, cared for, was made by passionate devs then I say it; because it's there and is obvious too and impossible to miss. Especially when it's something recent in the history of a company.

To conclude on my latest train of thoughts as I discover this game, I had a good laugh in my last enemy camp raid (well I call it raid but it's more like infiltration):

I'm in an enemy camp, there's a cage with a prisoner (or hostage maybe) inside. The prisoner goes "Oh please help!", I'm going like "Mmmk sure...", I open the cage but the camp is filled with guards. I decide to step back into the bushes to see what happens. The woman blahbles something in the distance probably praising the Gods or something (during those times they'd probably praise Gods for having a piss) and as she does and continues on her prayers (loudly) I see guards starting to run after her, each one of them yelling "TRRRRAAAAITOOOOR!!!" one after another in a domino effect, literally creating a 'trail' of the path the woman took to escape ending up with the whole camp going after her. I just couldn't stop laughing, mostly because of those guards going bunkers on her even though she was a prisoner and must have been in the camp for a while and never was a threat, but now she's trying to escape and she's now a traitor to Athens or something like that. That made my day.

Yeah... I'm enjoying myself with this game, good stuff Ubisoft... good stuff.

15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    While instakills aren't my idea of fun, I could see that appealing to others. I mostly tweaked the balance around so that I didn't feel overpowered and the enemies didn't sprint everywhere. Overall, the control panel was a neat addition to Origins, and it would be just as neat in Odyssey.

16. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    Did you actually play Origins as well? 99% of this great stuff was already in there.

It may be personal taste but i really think Origins looks more realistic than Odyssey, but i guess i'm just more into deserts and jungles than greek islands.
    It reminded me of AC4 BlackFlag a lot. Ubisoft is close to follow Rockstar open world titles in their footsteps with their last 2 AC titles. The worlds got better, the combat more fun and they gave the games more depth with the RPG mechanics.

Anyone who just expected another BlackFlag copy&paste AC title should really take a deeper look at Origins & Odyssey.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    or wait for skull and bones and see how that title shakes out i need me more pirate games. something some people have been saying a long time was a untapped market and the only way anyone would stick their toe in that pool was trough a assassins creed title and wow people liked it. pirate fans only had the clunky akellia (sp?) games for single player pirate rpgs, fun games if you could get past the horrid land stuff the sea ship battles were great fun and challenging.

Sid meyers pirates! to akella then to ubisoft finally attempting to break into that market almost 15 years later.

cyberpunk will be the next thing. there just some genras the industry has NEVER given two spits about, even though players were saying hey we need more games like these.

18. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    Woah you remember Akella SeaDogs 2? I think Disney bought it and pasted the PotC label onto it. Around 2002 i think. There was a mod called Build13 which made the game much better - like playing as Captn Jack Sparrow.
    I agree though, Skull & Bones could be a great game. With AC4 Ubisoft had the perfect pirate game formular, just not perfect for an AC title.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea i have that on a hardrive and i did a few mods for that pirates mod. lol. Not sure if it runs at all i been afraid to try did alot of work on that game.

The story i think goes on that yea they were contacted to do a pirates of the carribean game but the deal fell through and they released all their work as a mod for the game they did manage to make. city of abandon ships was a pretty fun little pirate sandbox. but it been years since i interacted with those guys. but disney never bought them out or anything, and they made sea dogs 3 which is on steam now i think. (not played that one)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I hit the wall at level 23 with all the hunting for pelts/wood etc.
    Had to break out the cheat engine for the pelts/wood etc and now at level 31.

Went to Athens and the set pieces in this game are out of this world and stunning.
    Changed my build to a hunter/warrior ,wow the hunter abilities are awesomely overpowered with headshot I love it and the grind is gone with cheat engine the game is just fun to play.

cerebus23 likes this.