Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Sadly a common occurrence in games these days, like you, I find the night way too bright and I know this is done because when devs make night dark (you know, like night actually is), people start whinging.

It doesn't have to be Dragon's Dogma dark, but it should be much darker than it currently is.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD FirePro M6100
    I think mine got a big increase, cause i'm not sure if this is due to having a 1070 as i switched my Vega 56 to a 1070.
    I couldn't hold 60fps in the benchmark and now i can easily and vega 56 should be on par in this benchmark.

This patch also made my CPU work harder in a good way though as i think this fixed my low fps.
    Should have waited shipping my Vega 56, else i could have confirmed this.

I posted this above: https://imgur.com/a/KbGL1
    You can see the benchmarks between 1070 and Vega 56. Benchmark with Vega 56 was done 2 days ago i believe.

Yes there were some lag spikes with the 1070, not sure why? maybe that's why it says Performance: Low.
    The graph with the Vega 56 shows no lag spikes.

3. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Poseidon1080TI
    with this update i got + 5-10fps better performance! 2560x1440 Ultra settings with 120% Resolution scaling + G-SYNC + nvidia 388.00 driver.

signex likes this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well the v1.03 patch *appears* to have improved performance although how much is hard to quantify since the map is huge and I’m in different areas all the time (tonight it was Giza and Memphis). I still saw some high CPU usage but not the prolonged 100% usage on all 8-threads that I was seeing previously. Seems like they’ve optimised this but it may just be a result of playing in another region of the map.

I ran the benchmark with the RTSS 60 FPS framerate cap in place (I forgot!) and it returned Stable performance for the game (which is true). I then removed the cap and re-ran the benchmark; it showed Very High performance rather the Low I was seeing with v1.02.

Absolutely fantastic game though; there’s even a brief section where you
    fight naval battles in ships like AC: Black Flag, which was cool.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    cutscenes now run smooth 60fps

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    While the patch has increased FPS, I'm now noticing a bit of stutter when moving from one side of Alexandria to the other. This stutter was not there with patch 1.02, so it seems that whatever Ubisoft did with patch 1.03, caused this problem. The stutters aren't frequent, but when they occur, they are very invasive to the actual performance. The game will actually pause for about half a second, and then continue. When I look at the monitoring graph for the game, there is a clear spike in CPU time, so it appears to be caused by something to do with the CPU threads.

kx11, have you noticed anything like this, since your rig closely matches mine? If you run or horse ride from one side of Alexandria to the other, you will notice it.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That is true for the most part but I still saw a few instances of what appeared to be slowdown in a few last night with the v1.03 patch. What was odd about it was that the RTSS framerate overlay showed a rock solid 60 FPS thoughout (these were when I had the RTSS 60 FPS cap in place) with not a single dip that would support the slowdown I was seeing!! They may have been streaming related bugs (the game is installed on 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD though) but even if they were then the framerate counter should have dropped with the slowdown.

Anyone else seen this? I think it was even happening in v1.02 as well? It's certainly not a VRAM issue as I haven't seen the game use more than 4.9 GB of my card's 11 GB of memory and I played the game virtually non-stop for 5 hours last night (yes, it's that addictive!).

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    I tried the patch yesterday only to notice stuttering every second. When I looked in the MSI AB graphs I could clearly see the GPU load going up and down every second (like 20% difference every second). I tried a number of different settings but nothing helped. In frustration I simply turned off MSI AB and RTSS and suddenly got a smooth ride just like earlier. So there is something fishy with the latest MSI AB / RTSS release but I'm not sure yet.

I don't experience a FPS increase like you guys do but at 1440p I do notice a more stable framerate. Earlier it felt like you could stand still and watch the FPS go up and down (for example 85-89-81-87-82) but now it only moved a little.

I was hoping to finally have that smooth 4K/60fps ride so I fired up High preset, turned off AA and DoF and started running around in one part of Alexandria and almost held 60fps! Overjoyed I attempted the Pegasus mission where I had to go out in the woods but there the FPS dropped like a rock just like before down to 51-54 which completely destroyed the smoothness I previously had. Later I tried completing yet another quest (Story) and got into one of those in-game cut scenes where the camera is closer to the NPCs involved. As always the FPS drops to 45-48. The funny thing is that those quests that involve in-game cut scenes where the camera is farther from the NPCs, the FPS is not affected.

Another interesting thing is that if I limit my FPS to 60 while at 1440p the CPU usage goes down to about 65% instead of the usual 95%.

I'll have to keep playing at 1440p for now, that's really the most fluid and best looking option I have at the moment.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    I'm sorry but I fail to see how it helps to limit the FPS to 60. When you are roaming the desert you could easily get 120fps, but does it really help that much in Alexandria where the FPS should be around 80? I remembered you saying this so I did cap my FPS just to try. Unfortunately I had MSIAB and RTSS in the background which made everything stutter constantly. I can try the in-game limiter (although you disregarded it) just to understand what you mean. I'll have to find an earlier version of MSIAB to try your version of the story.

It's true that it's the Black Flag team who has done Origins and Kiev who has helped with the PC port.

It feels like everyone can just include that phrase so it makes them look good. Skype for example - every time it updates it just states "performance optimizations and bug fixes", what the hell does that mean?

I couldn't agree more. Sure, I assume that night behaves differently in brightly colored cities with sand all around but still, should it really be that bright?

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    re ran bench at 4k max settings no AA my system now says very high it did say low avg 69fps was 56fps

Darren Hodgson likes this.

11. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    So it seems they canceled HDR option for the PC at the last minute in the new patch. Only PS4 Pro and Xbox One X got it ... that makes me sad ... sooooooo sad o_O

wrathloki likes this.
  12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The one-second stutter is an issue with the v388.10 and v388.13 drivers (something to do with NVAPI polling, I believe, when used with MSI Afterburner).

However, the v388.00 driver, which I am using, does not have this issue and as such the game runs smoothly for 99% of the time with only the odd streaming stutter from time to time. I did try playing the game with an uncapped framerate last night but I've found that the game is more prone to random stutters when played this way and that forcing a 60 fps cap in RTSS (not the game because that forces 62 fps for some reason) gives me a nice smooth game that holds 60 fps for much of the time in the area I'm currently playing. And when there are dips below 60 fps then they aren't that noticeable, thanks to G-SYNC.

I think the game runs so much better for me now though, mostly because I've relocated it from a SATAIII hard drive to an SSD. I do find that open-world games that use streaming do tend to run better on SSDs otherwise for most games I find that loading times are really the only think that separate the two devices (and then only by seconds usually).

Can't hurt to try it IMO.

I hope this game gets some kind of HD/4K texture pack as it only uses 5 GB VRAM and while overall the graphics are very nice, it's hard not to notice low-res texturing here and there, say, when squeezing through a gap in the rocks and spotting the obnoxiously blurry textures there.

P.S. I am using MSI Afterburner v4.4.0/RTSS v7.0.0 Final.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Although the benchmark does a bad job in representing actual gameplay those results are quite impressive. When you play the game, are you able to sustain 60fps at all times even while in cities or heavily wooded areas?

Thanks, that could definitely be it.

I must test this 60fps limit at 1440p and see how it works. I cannot say that I've experienced a lot of stuttering, at least that I can think of but on the other hand my FPS has not yet fallen as low as 60fps while playing normally. I think that 70 something is the lowest figure I've seen so far. 60fps feels is in itself more "stuttery" than 100fps for obvious reasons which is why I was reluctant to your proposition at first.

A texture pack would be nice but since it's still not possible to play the game properly at 4K, such a pack would only make things worse from a performance point of view.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My understanding is that higher resolution textures have no effect on performance provided you have sufficient VRAM. Otherwise the paging of data to and from system memory is the primary cause of performance issues when using them.

15. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    I was just looking for a new HD for storage and was also going to buy Assassins Creed Origins tonight , whilst looking for my HD on overclockers uk i can across this

Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB 7200RPM with onboard 8gb flash memory for £92.99 and you also get a FREE copy of Assassin's creed origins , wow, now thats a mega deal , only one drawback is that i have to wait 14 days for the game key ,which just gives more time for patches or that what i'm telling myself :)

Im very happy as normal when i purchase PC parts i miss out on the free games :)

16. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    game still runs like ass for me

wrathloki likes this.
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    You are probably right that Texture Quality does not affect the FPS and if so, it would indeed be nice with a HD pack of some sorts. I think FarCry Primal got one so I hope this game does too.

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    So what ever happened to Nvidia’s tweak guides? They were always an excellent resource in trying to figure out the best performance to visual quality ratio but all they’ve had this entire year is a tweak guide for Destiny 2. Trying to figure out the best ratio for this game is a bit daunting

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    So I’m getting some pretty big frame rate drops (down to low 50s) in cutscenes and also stutter in the cutscenes. Any idea what’s causing that? Also does anyone know what kind of AA method the different settings use?

Noticed a few bugs so far, NPC pathing seems to be borked and I’ve noticed a few times now loud music was triggered right before a cutscene so I couldn’t hear what they were saying. That music definitely did not fit the tone of the cutscene so it has to be a bug.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I believe it some kind of temporal AA as I haven’t noticed any aliasing on the highest setting. There is also a Dynamic Resolution option that oddly adjusts only the level of AA used according to the description so you could always give that a try to see if it smooths out those dips. It doesn’t sound like it affects resolution.