Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    He's entitled to express his opinion. Stop telling people what they may or may not post (you seem to do this sort of thing a lot).

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Good try but the magic word in your post is "Adaptive Quality". I also tried that setting and got super smooth 60fps but at a significant cost of image quality.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/...his-month-in-assassins-creed-origins-november

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Hoping for an improvement in cpu is kinda low...

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    yeah this game needs HDR

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Can you move games from their installed location on one drive (in my case a 7,200rpm SATAIII hard drive) to another (an SSD) without having to reinstall the game for Uplay games?

I am experiencing a lot of hard drive-related stuttering when resuming a save game on my PC (definitely not driver-related as the hard drive light is active when this happens and the stuttering gradually goes away once it goes off) and I want to see how it runs off my SSD? I know Steam now has an option to move games but I have not seen any such option for Uplay (or Origin for that matter).

Thanks.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    i dont recommend moving games to ssd, i always install it never move it, however i move games to hdd sata

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Yes it's extremely easy, move to where you want it, launch Uplay then there'll be an option to locate the game, point it to the new directory and it should be ready to play in seconds, that's how I installed it for my wife, downloaded on my PC first, then copied the whole directory to a flashdrive and copied that to her hard drive then she logged into Uplay and chose the locate option.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
  10. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I'm waiting for the info regarding the pirated version for this game just to see how it performs cpu wise

11. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I legitimately bought this game and I'm getting 100% CPU usage and 40fps. Oh, but it's just a bunch of pissed off pirates...

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    40% due to the DRM might be too extreme, but I don't fully trust Ubisoft either. Ubisoft isn't stupid enough to publicly confirm DRM is the main reason people are having performance issues in this game.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    What does this have to do with what I said? I posted Ubisoft's response to the claim that the DRM is causing the high CPU usage. I never said anything about the issue not existing or that it was false.

Obviously something else is causing it. And my guess is that it's a combination of these two factors:

1) High level API

2) Massive, seamless game with tons of detail, A.I and simulation

Watch Dogs 2 has high CPU usage as well, but nobody blamed DRM for their high CPU usage when the game first launched. But by all means, if you want to blame the DRM because it makes you feel better, go ahead.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    So did Watch Dogs 2 have this same DRM scheme as well? Because that game had very high CPU usage as well if I recall.

As I've said repeatedly, my explanation is that it's because the game is using DX11. DX11 always front loads one or two cores, and has high CPU overhead. This is amplified even more due to the game being open world, seamless and having very long draw distances, lots of detail, A.I and simulation. The only cure for this DX12, so what we should be doing is petitioning Ubisoft to release a DX12 update for the game rather than complaining about the DRM's insignificant performance impact.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I don't trust the words of a pirate group either whose sole purpose is to crack the game so they will say anything to get Ubisoft to change or remove the DRM to make it easier for them to pirate it.

I'm not saying the DRM is not the reason for the unusual 100% CPU usage I am also seeing in the game but that it could just as easily be something like a bug in the code, some conflict with other PC services, anything really. That's just the nature of the PC with its infinite combinations of software and hardware. That said, if the issue is widespread then you have to ask how Ubisoft's testers missed it.

I did read over on the Ubisoft forum from someone who spoke to support that Ubisoft are supposedly aware of the issue and will fix it in a later patch. (And, yes, I know, support people are generally even less trustworthy than pirate groups but you never know... it just might be true!).

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Let's not forget that this is a massive world and tons of AI running around doing stuff. So it would be weird if the game was running at 25% CPU load. What I don't understand is why the GPU load isn't maxed out as I believe it is on Unity.

17. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @Darren Hodgson Well
    I don't think that DRM is hurting that much the performance, I don't own the game, but I've been reading, and it's lovely how dumb people from steam forums buys the declarations of voski.

Voski it is an early DRM cracker, he started to piracy games when Denuvo 4 got out, Denuvo 4 didn't used VMProtect, so that's why denuvo 4 games end up pirated in a matter of 1 or 2 days, and sometimes even some hours.
    The early Denuvo games that took months to get pirated did use VMProtect, and I can confirm that even with a low end Phenom II x4, I've never noticed any difference in performance between a pirated copy of X game to a legit copy of the same game, aside from extra ram consumption due to Steam running background which is something it is not necessary for a pirated copy.

Voski is using the old method that scene pirates tried before.
    At first it was the SSD scandal, which Denuvo was killing off SSDs writing like 50GB per hour LOL, it was debunked pretty quickly, but websites like "thedarksideofgaming" which is a formelly PCGaming focus website that just loves piracy and are against every publisher out there, spread the word to a point, that even now some people still have affraid of buying denuvo titles because they think it will kill their SSDs..
    It also worked with RIME, with accusations that denuvo was hindering the performance of the game.
    Rime team did release a patch removing denuvo but also with 1.2GB of fixes, which made the game running so much better overall, but people only had to read the first line of the changelog which was the denuvo removal, and so they did think removing denuvo did grant them a great boost in performance when the game even after denuvo removal still had some optimization issues that the team had kept releasing more patchs to optimize it further.

And now we have this... VMProtect which was used before with denuvo, is back, and voski is pissed because he never cracked a game with VMProtect before, since he started after the denuvo 4, which didn't had VMProtect, since he don't know how to deal with it, nothing like pointing out that it consumes 40% of the CPU without any single proof, the only proof he gave us, it is that VMProtect is being called in loop through out the game, but nothing more than that, there are millions of stuff called through out the game, and people are blaming that can also hinder performance.

Also some websites already started to include this declarations like it is 100% confirmed, and also claiming that this 2 DRMs are killing off CPUs with BSODs lol, people have higher OCs and unstable systems that can't take 100% load for 5 minutes, then put the blame on the game loool, and media says it kills CPUs..

Like I said I don't own the game, but as far as I've seen on youtube, the ammount of drawcalls in this game it is clearly an abuse!
    I've never seen nothing so alive like this, astonish view distances with a ton of lod detail, a ton of NPCs roaming around, every blade grass moving, day/night cycle and above of that, multiple cloth physics floating in mid-air consuming a ton of CPU.
    All of this wrapped to DX11 which this could clearly benefit from DX12 or vulkan.

This game has a ton of reasons to be demanding to the CPU, obviously the DRM might have some impact, but there is nothing confirmed and It shouldn't be more than 0.1FPS.
    People are just pissed, then we have a bunch of liars posting on internet, and people believing in what they really want to hear.
    Add all of this mixture with ubisoft past mistakes, and we have this explosion! XD

I also don't like DRM either, and I still think a good game with or without DRM will always sell, Witcher 3 it is the living proof of that. I know that some pirates can't stand to wait and it will end up buying the game anyway if it don't get cracked soon, altough I don't except too much of them to do that to make a difference.

but apart the DRM what I hate the most it is liars and dumb people.

PS: Edited for fixing some english errors!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Darren Hodgson and Carfax like this.
  18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    ^^ Absolutely. There's no shortage of gullible people out there that will believe anything when it falls in line with their beliefs, despite the contradictory nonsense. What gets me though, is that a lot of reputable sites have published articles or comments on this which further lends it credence, even though it was never verified.

19. yafatana

yafatana Member

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390 nitro
    Vmprotect It's like playing a game while running a virtual machine 100% CPU usage stutter in game and very hot CPU for people with stock cooler . If future games start using this method of protection in future I'm gonna say goodbye to PC gaming .i refunded this game .

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm neutral about DRM as, as far as I am aware, it hasn't gotten in the way of me enjoying a game (except for perhaps those games that had online requirements for single player campaigns!) and if it protects publishers from early piracy of their games then that is a very good thing in my book.

I doubt the issue with 100% CPU usage is related to the DRM either but there's something odd about this game as there have been other open-world games like this with lots of AI controlled NPCs but not one of them has ever maxed out my CPU 100% on all 8-threads for prolonged periods like this game does. IMO, it is not hugely different to Unity or Syndicate. The setting is different but both of those had large open areas too to explore filled with NPCs and long draw distances. What is different about Origins? Sure, there's more detail and better lighting but they don't account for the high CPU usage IMO. And this is a game that runs on consoles with extremely weak CPUs with low clock speeds albeit they target 30 fps. You'd think that a modern PC with their CPUs would have not be maxing out like I see in this game. The game is gorgeous for sure, mostly due to the art design and setting, not because it is technically amazing. Look close and you can see pop in, low-res texturing and character models that look no better than those of Unity or Syndicate (plus obviously less detailed NPCs). I'm not really sure what this is doing that Unity and Syndicate didn't to warrant such high CPU usage.