Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I know this might not affect everyone but this change made my game from a stuttering laggy mess with like 3k framescore i believe to 11.3 and being next to near smooth.Before these changes i could switch quality from very to high to low and did nothing to my fps.Can u guys try this to see if it fixes your issues ?

For Nvidia Gpu's make sure you have downloaded Driver version 388.00 from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

1)Open Nvidia Control Panel

2)Set Vertical Sync to Adaptive

3)Set Tripple buffering to ON

4)Maximum pre-rendered frames 1

5)Now open up your game,go to the options/display settings and set FPS Limit to 60 and Refreshrate to 60 and put the ingame Vsync OFF.

6) After this step go to the Graphics section and use the High preset,then put the Adaptive Quality at 60 Fps.
    Leave everything else on High for now,reboot the game and check your results.

At step 6 you can also start from Medium preset and work your way up seeing which setting affects your system most After all the changes you just made but Do put Adaptive Quality at 60 Fps.Dont forget to Reboot the game everytime the Game tells you to when you changed a setting.

https://imgur.com/a/xHzRi

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I look forward to Digital Foundry's analysis of this game on PC because I suspect it may be interesting. That is assuming they ever get around to it as they seem to making videos on Destiny 2 and they've got the forthcoming Xbox One X 4K upgrades to cover as well next week.

3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    ive just read a post that a chap called Voksi from revolt as analyzed the .exe and VMProtect is constantly making calls and this is whats causing the 100% cpu usage
    https://image.prntscr.com/image/_6qmeqq0RBCMIAtGK8VnRw.png this is the image he posted , i dont understand it myself but maybe some of you chaps do

I should think that after a few patches the game will be more playable as all AC games have been the same at first release

4. MrIGM

MrIGM Member

GPU:
    CZXZXC
    :D

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    I bought the game, so far i love it, the combat isn't that hard, pretty easy to pick up.

Whats bothering me is the performance in the first city wich drops to around 30-35fps and at that time my GPU usage goes way down to like 70%.
    I don't get how people call this game optimized, it's clearly not.

Dropping down settings doesn't seem to affect performance in any way so i cranked everything to very high.
    Outside the city it performs extremely well so no complaints there.

Ryzen 1500X seems to handle the game good, it's not exceeding 70% what people seem to claim.

7. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, wasn't even going to buy this but I bit the bullet and I am suitably impressed, I think I like it even more than I liked Black Flag.

It feels more like an adventure than most of the other ACs with way less focus on parkour and far more focus on story and immersion.

I'm hooked :)

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    LOL look at those pathetic pirates. Mad because they can't pirate the game yet :D Maybe if they would get a decent job they would have the money to buy AC Origins, and whatever games they want.

Anyway, I don't think the high CPU usage is caused by DRM. The high CPU usage is a consequence of the DX11 API, which has always front loaded one or two threads more than the others. Also, the game is EXTREMELY detailed with very long draw distances.

I have never seen a game like this where there is so much simulation and detail in every scene. This costs processing power. The only way to alleviate it is to use DX12 API, so hopefully Ubisoft will contemplate releasing a DX12 patch somewhere down the road. Even if it's a half baked solution, it will still be better than the status quo.

9. MrIGM

MrIGM Member

GPU:
    CZXZXC
    This game needs DX12 like nobody's business. DX11 seems too dated for the newest generation of games.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Anvil Next in general could probably benefit from it (Especially the newer ones such as Wildlands and Origins.) on that note while the engine is a bit of a hybrid of Dunia and Anvil the Watch_Dogs 2 game actually had planned DX12 support when AMD was behind the development but it switched over to Nvidia after a short amount of time, guessing they gave a better offer.

Draw calls, overall resource management and making certain things standard could help, popping in SpecialK and looking at the shaders also shows heavy reliance on compute shaders in particular though I'm not the most knowledgeable person on how this works but being able to leverage AMD and Nvidia GPU's more directly would likely have several benefits too although it is more work on the developers side and on that note the overall performance gains could be good or they could be pretty low depending on how the API is leveraged, same goes for stability and issues that crop out if something is done incorrectly.

Would be nice to see it patched in a few months down the road given the time it would take to implement it more thoroughly but I doubt anything like that is planned. Better utilization of AMD's CPU series such as Ryzen and Thread-Ripper might still be doable too although it seems they put up a pretty good fight even now because the game really benefits from additional cores and threads.

Also pretty standard for Anvil Next though this game sees pretty high utilization straight from the main menu from what I can tell and then it goes way up in the actual game and up even farther in the bigger cities such as Alexandria.

EDIT: Ah I see Carfax post up above already mentions much of this already.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    What you think doesnt care anyone. Why do you even answer to this post if you have no idea at all, hmm!? You think but doesnt know! He is right, so please stop talking like you know whats going on! Sigh, people!

How much impact issnt known, but there is one!

Grimbarian likes this.
  12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    51 hours played and at 50% game progression! Now on for the next 50 hours. :D it's so big and beautiful, i can't stop playing it!

13. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    I don't regret having bought that game.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    So what makes you think he is right? Every single time a problem like this crops up, the pirates are the first to start bellyaching about how DRM is reducing the performance of the game. But when people actually start to do the benchmarking with the DRM less version, they see that there is zero difference in performance when the game was running with DRM and when it isn't.

They just want to steer the opinion of gamers against the developer for even implementing DRM in the first place, as it makes it harder for them to pirate. The more credible explanation by far is as I said in my previous post:

1) The game uses a high level API which automatically means much higher CPU overhead compared to what's achievable with DX12 or Vulkan, much less the consoles.

2) The game is extremely detailed, seamless and massive in scope, perhaps the first of its kind in that regard other than Ghost Recon Wildlands which is mostly wilderness environments.

This seamlessness and exceptional detail combined with using a high level API is going to put an extra burden on the CPU. On my own machine, I'm seeing an average of 40% CPU usage (with one core maxed), but this is on a 6900K. However, I see roughly the same usage in Novigrad in the Witcher 3 with the FPS unlocked. So basically, the CPU usage isn't anything extraordinary to me, especially considering the size, scope and detail of the game and the fact that I'm getting high framerates. Just went to Alexandria in fact, and I'm getting around 65 FPS with maxed settings at 1440p.

15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    One thing that's a real shame is how hugely overpowered combat/hunting from a horse/camel is, on foot against a pack of hyenas you're in big trouble, on a camel you're invincible, even taking out a couple of lions at once is no problem from camel back, seems poorly tested, there should be a chance your camel/horse will throw you or get hurt/killed by the wild animals you're hunting. At one point I stumbled on a quest to clear a pack of hyenas from a camp, on camel back with an axe they were all dead in about 5 seconds and when I looked back there were 10 dead hyenas.

16. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    That's insane..
    What next?

17. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I still cannot figure out why some scenes are more taxing in 4K than in 1440p.
    Tried playing in 4K yesterday (Alexandria) and observed a 75% CPU load (in comparison with 95% load in 1440p) but the GPU load remains the same. The stuttering is very much there when the games struggles to keep at 60fps which it unfortunately fails doing, even on High preset.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
  20. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    So I looked at the .ini file and found these options, cant seem to find out what they do yet.

[Graphics]
    Culling=0
    Lighting=0
    Particle=0
    PostEffect=0
    Wind=0
    CrowdDensity=0

Also if you press the middle mouse button when hovering over Bayek's outfit in the gear menu, it will toggle his hood for all outfits. And if you have a controller if you press RT + Y anywhere on the gear menu, it will switch Bayek's hairstyles and if you press LT + Y it will switch his beard styles. It seems you cant do it on the keyboard, i even tried matching the respective inputs and no luck. If i can figure out the name of the binding, i could add it to the config file. Also the fov seems to reset to 100 upon a relaunch of the game