ASRock Z790 Nova / Z790 Riptide / Z790 Lightning / Support , Overclocking , Help , thread.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by chispy, Nov 13, 2023.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Testing high frequency on the Asrock Z790 Riptide PG wifi7 4 dimm mobo.

So far im up to 8266Mhz stable , gb3 15K + mem score done and working my way up to 8400 now , with patience and lots of testing and tweaking Meta is 8600 . I can boot at 8600 but it will need some massaging on every voltage to get it stable , i will get there soon or later .

8266 (1).jpg

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  4. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Hello Chispy,

Recently found your thread on overclocking on the Nova and was immediately interested. I currently have a z790 Taichi Lite/I7-13700K/Corsair Titanium 2x24gb 7200xmp/RTX 4080. Not the same as your setup but I was wondering if you thought the Corsair 2x24gb ram and Z790 Taichi Lite might also hit 7600 ram speed reliably? Board seems physically similar by capabilities but maybe lacks currency of Bios improvements? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I start to learn. Thanks for all your work!
    B,

tunejunky likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No worries it's ok :) . i will help you out the 2nd of January or so as right now i'm away from home and in a family gathering celebrating New year 2024.

Happy New Year 2024 to you.

Regards: Angelo

tunejunky likes this.
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Have you tried the DDR5 profiles i have written on this thread ? Try them at 7600Mhz and let me know if that helps. ( Copy the voltages and timmings )

Regards: chispy

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I did try your timings and voltages for 7600 with no luck. I played around with voltages for a couple days at the intervals you suggested but couldn’t get past 30 minutes in Karhu testing or single pass in Memtest 86 pro. Best I could do as a noob was 7466 MTs using your 7600 timings and voltages. I was hoping for 7600 and tight timings but can’t help but wonder if it is a bios difference between the Taichi lite and the new Nova. Thoughts?
    Thank you,
    B

chispy and tunejunky like this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm glad that at least one of my profiles did work for you eventhought at 7466Mhz instead of 7600Mhz. Keep it at 7466Mhz and be happy and enjoy it as the new Nova is a different beast when it comes to ram overclocking. You won't noticed a difference between 7600 and 7466Mhz. I hope this helps/

Kind Regards: Chispy

9. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    O
    Out of curiosity do you think the difference is more than bios related? Both boards are 8 layer pcb and the Taichi lite technically has a beefier VRM than the Nova but doesn’t perform as well. Seems like it is bios related. I am not unhappy with mine in any way, I love to tinker and think pc stuff is catching my interest as a first time builder. Let us know if you ever decide to play with the Taichi lite. Thanks again for your work and responses.

B,

chispy likes this.
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi there Viking1 , there is more to it than Bios on the Nova , as you know Nova is the refresh and last Z790 from ASRock as such some changes were made to the motherboard layout and traces for better memory overclocking hence why you see the Nova overclocking ram capabilities above and beyond any other 4dimm motherboard , pair that with Nickshih ( extreme overclocker legend and engineer at asrock that made the Nova ) and you got a trully master piece for overclocking.

11. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thanks Chispy!
    I will be watching your work to hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. Until then my new pc combo is doing great for flight simming. As a flight simmer only boards with igpu support work for me to pop out avionics panels without a huge fps hit that happens when done with the same gpu running the sim. This makes the apex useless to me and so the search for boards with igpu support and thunderbolt support started. I really am enjoying the performance uptick your work provided. Thanks again!
    p.s.
    People that claim additional monitors have minimal effect on fps have obviously not done this testing with flight sim popped out avionics panels onto touch screens. It’s huge!

chispy likes this.
  12. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Hello Chispy,
    My apologies, I forgot to ask you something in my last message. Have you, or would you be willing to share your Nova bios cpu settings for the 14700KS you used? Being new I think I am creating deficits instead of gains. Thank you again for your time.
    B,

chispy likes this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Those cpu voltages and settings used on those benchmarks were suicide runs for hwbot points , not recommended for daily 24/7 use.

14. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Chispy,
    I’m a little confused. Do you mean the voltages you used to stabilize 7600 on the Nova were suicide levels? I thought those were safe to game with. Was hoping to get some insight into asrock bios for cpu settings. I should probably turn all my settings back to stock and xmp. I don’t want to fry my system with crazy voltage. I used your 1.5 for vdd and vddq along with the other voltages in the 7600 posting.
    Thanks!
    Viking

chispy likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No , only the cpu overclock for benchmarks were suicide runs , not the memory. The memory profile and voltages are ok for daily use 24/7.1.45v-1.50 vdd / vddq is ok for daily as some memory kits already comes with this volatges on xmp.

16. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Those are really impressive memory OC results. That's going to shut down some debates about what is possible on 4 slot board, but if you can only do it with 2 sticks - who cares if it's a 4 slot board? If you want max RAM speed you're only using 2 sticks anyway, but what if I needed 192 gigs of RAM? What can it do with 4 sticks?

I'm looking forward to seeing some CPU OC action. I've got the Lightning, and it's pushing my i5 along nicely. It's boring compared to the Nova, but I'd love to see what you can do with it.

I've never heard anyone say it would be "a big performance downgrade", but there will definitely be a negative impact. TPU has thoroughly documented this over the last 14 years. The effect of PCIe scaling varies by game and resolution so you can find cases where you wont see any differences, but if you test enough with a good card you will find many cases of better performance with more PCIe bandwidth. Their 4090 scaling comparison showed consistent decreases in performance with an average 2% reduction going from gen 4x16 to gen 4x8, and with the worst case being a 15% reduction in FPS which is well beyond any margin of error. You don't need a 4090 to see the effect. You can see it with a 3080 on gen 4. Usually its a 0-5% difference. I'd dare to say most users care more about their FPS in games than some otherwise meaningless memory benchmark and the equally "mythical" gains from overclocking their RAM.

chispy likes this.
  17. Viking1

Viking1 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Chispy,
    Understood and thank you! I have everything set and with 4.08 bios update on z790 Taichi Lite I am running 7600 with your settings. 24 hours Karhu stable and full run of memtest 86 pro with zero errors. Flight sim runs smooth as silk. You are da man!!
    Thank you very much,
    Viking

chispy likes this.
  18. Steve weatherly

Steve weatherly New Member

GPU:
    amazing, i got the nova tuesday, can boot 8000 can not get it stable, work in progress and have 7600 stable thanks to a very good friend from the discord we use .. dont think my imc is quite as good on my 13700k

chispy likes this.
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=5416

TAIPEI, Taiwan, February 07, 2024 – ASRock releases new BIOS for Intel® 600/700 series motherboards, the updated BIOS is able to drastically improve CPU performance on 14th gen non-K series processors up to 10% with I7-14700 by Cinebench R23.

The performance gain is benefit from Intel's latest microcode and ASRock is the first to implement this new update before Chinese New Year, the new BIOS for Z790 series motherboards are as below, 600 & B760 series will be updated shortly!

New Bios is out: 4.05 ( Beta ) - Release date , February 7 , 2024

Download - https://pg.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z790 Nova WiFi/index.asp#BIOS

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  20. John88

John88 New Member

GPU:
    Hi do you have info for overcloacking i7 14700k in bios i would like to oc mine and i just followed ur ddr5 oc and im running 7800 cas34 with riptid stable im rlly happy