ASRock Z170 Extr.4 & i7-6700K OC Problems

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Vlad00n, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Vlad00n

Vlad00n Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-280X OC
    Hello there !

Probably this one was discussed before... if it was, I'm sorry.

Recently I bought ASRock Z170 Extreme 4 with Intel i7-6700K. The issue I'm facing is when I want to put most of the voltages manually for 4.5GHz - Vcore using an Offset Mode (+55mv) + LLC3 = under full load of Prime95 v29.4, 1344K = 1.28v to 1.296v monitoring with HardwareInfo64 and HardwareMonitor, RAM voltage (1.35v) and using XMP Profile, DRAM Activating power (2.5v), VCCIO (0.950v), VCCSA (1.050v), PCH (1.0v), VCC PLL (1.2v) and Internal PLL Voltage to Auto, for 3+ hours - no errors, nothing. Same goes for 4.2GHz, when I was trying to put manual voltage 1.2v, which I know is the default.

Rest of the configuration is: RAM G.Skill RipjawsV 3000MHz, CL15, 1.35v, Power Supply CoolerMaster GX 750, CPU Cooler CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO.

I've been using this power supply for maybe 6 years now with i5-2500K 4.0 GHz, HD6850 Stock, and never had an issue with it. I upgraded just 3 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

But, when I'm playing GTA V my Computer suddenly restarts, but with no blue screen, just black screen, beep and ASRock logo - Loading windows ... Then after checking Reliability Monitor, using Windows 10 x64 1709, the only thing that I can read about the error is: Windows was not properly shutdown - nothing else. no clue about error code.

My question is: My Vcore voltage is too low ? Or other voltages are not correct ? Probably power supply issue ?

Thank you in advance !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    More than likely you had a power spike and the PSU shutdown to protect your system. Mine is doing this now and I fixed it by pointing fan at the PSU intake during game play. It must the PSU fan, the components or you need a more powerful PSU as you are drawing more power during OC.

Also PSU components do wear out such as capacitors. The fan fails a lot too. 6 years is a good run and perhaps time to buy a newer or stronger PSU. You can try the fan method to see if that helps.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above this does looks like PSU,assume yours GPU is OC as well there ?

These temperatures in Prime95 are not bad although close to 90C on PKG is bit too much,try keep it at 85C and if budget allows get better cooler there

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Probably psu too old and it has 12v+ line issues. Replace it soon.

HD6850 => 280x will stress it more, that new cpu also.

Vlad00n likes this.

5. Vlad00n

Vlad00n Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-280X OC
    Hi there. Thank you for the replays.

Last night I decided to go back to 4.2 GHz on Auto Voltages, which means the board is giving more voltage to the processor than needed. The problem was still there. So ... definitely I think is the PSU, as all of you are suggesting. It is 6 or 7 years old now, never let me down, but now maybe it is.. The R9-280X is OC version VaporX = 1070MHz GPU and 1550MHz Memory. Thank you for your time and your help. This evening I'm going to take out the PSU.

God day to all !

-Tj- likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok let us know the situation with new psu

7. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    doesn't seems psu issue, your vcore not sufficient for that load. leave the vcore to auto @4.5ghz and see if this happens again

8. Vlad00n

Vlad00n Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-280X OC
    Hi there.
    I gave the PSU to а friend of mine to fix it. Because right now I can't afford a new one. So I'm waiting for news from him. Probably it's just Capacitors. 6-7 years old PSU I think the 12v lane is the problem. Only under load is happening, and not every single time, it's random. So when I have it back I'll report here for the result.

ocsystem. I did that but on 4.2 GHz. It was the same. Thank you.

9. Vlad00n

Vlad00n Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-280X OC
    Two days ago I had the chance to try my PC with different PSU. So I had in hand a Corsair TX650W and even that its less powerful than mine Cooler master GX750W, the computer was working just normally. NO more suddenly shutdowns, I was able to run GTA V for much more time than before. It's the PSU. Now I'm waiting for a new one. Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W 80+ Platinum. I'm so excited now, can't wait. Thank you for the help to everybody !