Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 - where is hotplug toggle in BIOS?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bobblunderton, Sep 25, 2020.

1. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I have searched several times for a feature that's listed on the feature list for this motherboard, the SATA HOTPLUG feature. Usually you have to manually turn this on.
    I can't seem to find it in the BIOS, no matter where I look. I have a fairly recent BIOS on this, too. Whatever was current in June/July 2020 is what I used on here when I upgraded to a 3950x processor.

Does anyone else have this board and know where the hotplug feature is, so I can find it and enable it (it's not enabled, I tried hooking things up, to no avail). This would be super-useful as I tend to use my 500gb SSD's to transfer large amounts of project data between computers, and my old Asus Max Hero VII on the intel system always had a toggle per-port for it.

There is also a slightly more recent & cost-reduced Phantom Gaming 4S, this is not the S model, it's the original one. I looked up in the PDF manual for the board on Asrock's website, no luck.

Totally stumped - on the dumbest of all things here. The board / PC is great but I just am dumbfounded that it's not here to toggle.
    When writing out a response, my tech level can be assumed to be fairly good... been doing PC hardware since when the 486 was common in the mid 90's. No-where near perfect or a know-it-all though, sadly.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Hot plug is mentioned once in the manual, so not much info there and the Storage page in the manual is blank.
    Looking here : https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=77 brings up an old page from 2003 (the last question no. 77 at the bottom).
    As far as I can tell Hot Plug is enabled if the drive supports it and if you are using the proper cables (the ones that came with the board)
    You also need to install the ASRock SATA drivers from the support CD (said in the 2003 link)

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you don't.

4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm only quoting what was stated in the FAQ on the ASRock link I posted.

Edit
    But instead of simply saying "no you don't" which doesn't help.
    Why not explain what to do.

5. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    For starters the AMD SATA driver is about as old as that link you posted. The native Windows driver is fine. Second, even if installed it would have zero affect on bios/UEFI settings.

At bobblunderton, had a look at the manual for the motherboard and the setting you are looking for is not shown anywhere. That isn't to say that it isn't there, it may just be in a section/category that you wouldn't expect. On my B450 Pro4 it is exactly where you would expect to find it, under Storage Configuration. On yours for whatever reason it isn't there. If you haven't yet, go through all the settings, (AMD CBS, AMD PBS, etc) and see if it isn't hidden there somewhere.

6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Yes, it old. But it was mentioned as a requirement in the FAQ. Which is why I typed it. I also typed that the info was from 2003, but it's all ASRock list on their homepage.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ahci is the only requirement for sata hotplug where no additional bios settings are exposed

8. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Yeah, that's why I posted - it's MIA completely (missing in action for the civvies among us). There's not a single word about Sata hot-plug, nor anything I can even find that brings it up, aside of in the marketing materials. I tried to hot-plug a device as I own a few identical (Fractal) cases that use the same snap-in drive sleds (which I use mostly for development machines) to transfer data back and forth in large quantities. No-go on the hot plug, even with AHCI enabled.

I do want to thank everyone for the participation here, even if it's still a rabbit hole I was attempting to go down.
    Was... was?
    The ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 x570 board gave up the ghost* almost two weeks ago when the power cut out. The VRM is no longer working (despite the board's power state set to OFF after A/C power failure, to avoid some likelihood of damage from subsequent on/off/on transitions as the 'smart' power grid attempts to re-route power through itself without overloading any of it's components, until it's happy or it just stays off requiring manual intervention).
    "She's dead cap-i-tan"
    It really gave up, no amount of 4~5 hours of trouble-shooting in the middle of the night would help it. Nothing, not one thing. Switched every component out, nothing brought it back. The 3950x proved just too much for that ASRock board to handle, even at stock. The 3700x wouldn't even allow it to boot (had that just sitting in a drawer). Never overclocked, not even to try, never ran PBO, nothing except XMP/DOCP enabled.

So needless to say, we needn't worry about that anymore. I want to appreciate everyone's help here even if all a person can do is brain-storm (and sometimes, that really is all you can do in situations like this).
    After that board failed 14 months into operation, despite it's 3 year warranty, and only two months after putting the 3950x on it (it ran the 3700x stock all the other time), I saw fit to run down to the local Best Buy (an hour away) and pick up an ASUS TUF x570 Plus-Wifi board, and finally get Hot-plug features that WORK. This ASUS board is not only better made, but it has a 200-amp class VRM vs the 'barely 125 amp-class' VRM of the ASRock board. I knew the ASRock board was on the lower end of the spectrum, but having it blown up that easy while hooked to a Seasonic power supply and a surge surpressor/protector, it shouldn't have gone out that soon. Didn't even try to RMA, will worry about that next month sometime and just sell it when it comes back with the 3700x.

So for those looking to go cheap on an X570 - don't - let my lesson be for everyone, skip over the MSI MPG and the ASROCK phantom gaming 4 x570 models, and go right to the ASUS TUF, P-PRO (a little better) or Gigabyte AORUS models.

*No magic smoke seeping, pouring, or exploding out, no FIRE (thankfully, though am over-insured here as a rule), just kept going back to the ram-training boot loop, completing boot and handing off to the OS only for the CPU power status light to flicker off-on and the whole thing to start over again.

--Warmest Regards
    --The Bob.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. Turn off RAID mode it will appear, should show up as an option under each and every SATA port that you have to individually go down and press enter on to reveal it as...

EDIT: ahhh poop... :(