ASRock website reveals new AMD Athlon Procs and APUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASRock once again made a mistake on its website and posted processor names of new unannounced AMD Athlon and APUs. AMD had already announced the Ryzen 3 3200G and the Ryzen 5 3400G. More in inbound. ...

ASRock website reveals new AMD Athlon Procs and APUs

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If the 320 ge etc bring 4 x ryzen 2 cores and 8 threads ... They will be THE killer budget deal !

Pretty much will throw all the 2nd hand i7 quad cores over 80 usd under the bus. Give or take.

rl66 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its a shame it has the same vega igpu. Some navi variant would be amazing in this apu.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those Ryzen 3X00G are 12nm. (Ryzen 2X00G were 14nm.)
    AMD does not list those GE chips, yet. But from clock to power limit, they look like 12nm too.

Undying likes this.

5. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    It feels kinda misleading that APU parts are a generation behind, but share model number prefix of current gen. They're basically Ryzen 2k series with an iGPU, so slightly higher frequencies, same crappy memory latency. Was really hoping for chiplet design, just shove a vega iGPU on the 2nd chiplet location, and enjoy better memory latency / frequency. massive iGPU performance then since vega is starved for memory bandwidth

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Wait so these are G and GE models, but they don't have an iGPU? That's confusing.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    GE = graphics exterminated

waltc3, Kaarme and schmidtbag like this.
  8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    How come you think the Vega graphics are disabled?

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah but they are going APU's after desktop and server chips so we have to wait for them to get off of 12nm CPU/GPU and move to 7nm. AMD's 7nm Zen2 + Navi should make a hell of an APU.

anticupidon and Undying like this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Under the GPU column in the chart, it says "No" for each of the Athlon products.

It is worth pointing out the 200 series Athlons do have iGPUs.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering Intel is catching up, AMD does need a jump in iGPU performance, the sooner the better. It was the one thing in which AMD used to reign supreme due to their (and ATI's) history in the GPU business that Intel lacked.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There's only that much graphical performance one can extract from GPU at given memory bandwidth. Navi may have 10~15% higher potential than Vega due to better compression and other things. Having up to 50% higher performance per watt is nice as lower TDP devices (ultrabooks) may now catch up to desktops.
    Bad side of the coin is that Navi has more transistors per building block than Vega.

8CU Navi iGPU is going to be bit smaller and bit faster than 11CU Vega iGPU and may consume less power at same performance.
    12CU Navi iGPU is going to be maybe 20% bigger than 11CU Vega iGPU. But it will saturate memory bandwidth and high iGPU clock will not yield desired performance increase.
    (If useless higher clock is dropped, it will be very power efficient.)

From my experience with 2400G, it was almost good entry level gaming chip. 12CU Navi will be good entry level gaming chip (with sufficient memory bandwidth).
    And that includes notebooks/ultrabooks.
    = = = =
    Maybe AMD is working on this issue with bandwidth, maybe they are waiting for DDR5 to solve it for them. Maybe they are waiting till they finish chiplet design for GPUs too.
    (Would be funny if they made quad channel i/o die for mobile devices with high performance iGPU having 20CUs. But considering that they do not sell that many notebooks...)
    - - - -
    I am afraid AMD has to focus to where they know that money will flow towards them most.

13. plonk420

plonk420 Guest

yeah, i don't see why the Athlon 300 series wouldn't have a GPU. the first gen did. and the second APU gens didn't change in core/shader count (only clock speed), so i don't see why such a radical change would happen to the Athlon series. they need a CPU for as many market segments as they can get into, and cheaper ones won't want to spend extra money on a dGPU for mass-market boxes (Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc)

haha, TIL it nearly does!

2200G/3200G i assume probably does first/second gen without looking

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Man o Man I never thought I would see Amd come back in such a way and actually give Intel a run for there Money! I will be upgrading soon ( Hopefully) still using an Old Fx-8 core for web-browsing and light gaming ect.... Go Amd!

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Thought G was for graphics and E for energy or efficient

Then again 2700U and 3750H dont follow suit

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    [​IMG]

Venix and Embra like this.
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes but then it would be Ryzen CPU and not Athlon CPU :)
    (btw i am amazed each day on how Athlon GE (Zen core) perform for the price)

G with graphic
    GE with graphic but efficiency (low tdp)
    there is also the not listed here G and GE Pro variant (with security and ECC on demand directely to AMD)

Venix likes this.
  18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why is everyone telling me what G means? I know what it means - does nobody understand what my question is? I'm asking why the G[E] Athlon models at the bottom of the list say "No" under the GPU column.

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On Asrock leaking it is listed as APU (so with graphic) despite the NO in the column.
    also they have GE lettering, so i would said that they have graphic.

Anyway we will enjoy the sun and check when they will be out