ASRock Releases X399 Phantom Gaming 6 for AMD Ryzen Threadripper X series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it is not healthy for prices to support "Gaming" branding on TR platform. It is not gaming platform, and supporting this will only lead in manufacturer's belief that Gamers are actually buying computer parts priced way TR platform is.

Benefit of TR platform for someone who plays games is only if that someone streams at same time and does encoding via CPU for improved IQ and reduced size. But those people have it mostly as "job".

airbud7 and tunejunky like this.
  3. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I saw Z390 boards that cost same as X399 boards- so price is not the problem.
    I believe that with ZEN2 many will go for X399 if they don't care about money( like 9900K buyers?).

4. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    with zen2 and threadripper zen2 i see coming a refresh of the x399 chipset, they already can t use precision boost 2.

i agree with fox2232, this product is silly. Games needs ghz and from all the ryzen configurations threadripper is the one that make less sense for gaming ( starting from the fact that the gamer mode disable the quad channel memory )

I do not even understand if it make sense to make more x399 motherboards now, unless the previous asrock has problem feeding the wx2990

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    and still have lan from Intel...

As i play sometime on Xeon (many core and memory channel), i can confirm many core as on TR is useless for now, a normal Ryzen 2700 is enough if you don't want Intel CPU.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    i agree with most posters that this is a weird product. asrock makes an excellent mobo (i have x399 Taichi m) but the only rationale i can see for this is the 8 ram slots...and the custom builder doing bling rgb city.
    in truth the only games i play on x399 are rts and mmo's where i don't care about the fps drop vs my ryzen 2700 (or I-7 laptop).

7. m4dn355

m4dn355 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    The board does not support WX cpus?!

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    I really wish ASRock brings to TR their WS and Extreme range with more PCI_E slots, have their X99 WS which does have 6 PCI_E slots and only this I'm still on X99, if there is board with more than 6 PCI_E slots I would go route of TR4 for sure, but for now I will pass, shame

Maybe with X399 refresh there will be released such board, I just hope so,

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Master Guru

GPU:
    4 eVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Soooooo we are still stuck with dual channel ram and limited PCI-e lanes from AMD?!? I will not upgrade to a lesser configuration that is for sure.

If TR is no good for gaming then with Intels gimped offerings as of late I am without an upgrade still.

Wanting to do a mobo, CPU and RAM just to see if there are added benefits from using more lanes (PCI-E) and newer CPU tech for the GPU config at this current moment.