Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Unstability?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by randomizer, Apr 26, 2020.

1. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Hey guys, a little puzzled here.. I had an MSI RX 580 in my rig and had issues with it until it was replaced and fixed the issue. The same issue has occured once again with Gigabyte 5600xt Gaming OC

I now wonder after all this time the issue lies with the Motherboard? And that MSI was replacing the GPU in good faith?... And I was lucky until I replaced GPU.

What's happening
    A: Fails to post, 4 beeps, then startup 1 beep and starts without GPU Signall (GPU fan off, seems fine) and can power down correctly but just pressing power button lightly
    B: Fails to Post, 4 beeps and nothing (GPU fans are running). Need to hold the power button to force shut down
    C: In windows after resuming from sleep, completely hang with no GPU signal, after I restart. Situtation A would happen.

What troubleshooting have i done?
    A. DDU in Safemode
    B. Used BIOS default
    C. Changed startup is set to normal sequence
    D. Removed CMOS Battery and held power button for 30 seconds
    E. Updated VBIOS on GPU to latest version

What haven't I done
    A. Put GPU in another PC
    B. Haven't BIOS updated to latest version as ASROCK advises not to update if older then Ryzen 3000
    C. Formatted PC
    D. Something else I missed
    E. I have a spare 8gb DDR4 2100mhz I could try
    F. I did Memtest on MB and Ram prior to upgrading GPU and they were fine. But probably need to redo a test? any others to recommend?

OS Build: Win 10 Pro x64 19041.207 (2004)
    MB: Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac

Does anyone else have this Motherboard?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If you're getting motherboard beeps I don't think it would be your GPU. You've already done quite a bit, at this point I would try a bios update but that might be kinda risky with the way it's acting. Maybe try the other ram, and formatting first though.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    All 3 conditions can be caused by flaky PSU or flaky motherboard.....
    How old is the PSU?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    and displayport cable.

5. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    WOW! interesting about displayport! I just switched back to HDMI. See how I go.

Corsair RM550x. 2 years old

*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
    *Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its the pin20 issue, system doesn't fully power off the gpu/mainboard so trying to power it up again when the hardwares already powered on will cause it not to initialize properly.

7. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Formatted, enabled XMP 2.0 3200mhz, still in HDMI and seems to be far more stable with signal going fuzzy/black screen split second here and there (not gaming so far, just in windows). Maybe my screen is damaged from the displayport PIN20 issue? anyway I hated my Samsung 28 inch 4k screen. I may buy a new one soon. QLED = let down (first world problems).

I haven't updated MB bios yet.

Still early! but looks promising

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Do not worry about updating bios for your motherboard even if manufacturer says something different.

9. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Issues still occured so I updated the bios and downclocked.

10. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Bluescreen error 116 came up as well as LiveKernalEvent 141. I suspect my new GPU could be faulty.

Tested different ram, I need to test the GPU in another system. Don't have any at the moment.

Either MB or GPU at this point.

The flicker in Windows seems to be getting worse. It's weird it doesn't happen in games.