Ashes of the Singularity v2.4 update brings Vulkan Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The reason some people consider async to be hype or a gimmick is that without it AMD carda underperformed while Nvidia cards didn't, so it was hard to sell to Nvidia owners.
    It didn't help that so many people were under the impression it was magic and enabled 110% performance on AMD cards, while poor Nvidia cards could only do 100% at best.

As for AOTS, i bought it but i have yet to play it,mostly down to the fact i have a HTPC style setup so need some preparation to get it working for mouse/kb, and not because i think it's bad.

Great news that Vulkan has been added, as i'm sure the devs wanted to get this onto Linux and performance wise this must be a dream compared to what OGL has been providing for years.
    I don't expect it will ever catch DX12 performance wise, but it will be interesting to see how Vulkan performs on W7/W10 and Linux and how it all compares.

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    AMD stated that most of these additional transistors were used/necessary to raise the clockspeed. That's basically the same mistake they made with Bulldozer, focusing on clockspeed at the expense of everything else.