Asetek Demands AMD Cease Sales of Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2015.

1. wantobe

wantobe Guest

GPU:
    I believe that there is no bright future if there won't be crowds of folk with pitchforks doing what needs to be done... What I wanted to say by that. Humanity needs a law that would protect common sense until we can witness festering idiocracy around us. Sad article.

To make the post more cheerful :infinity:
    [​IMG]

2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Seriously, Corsair had their H50 CPU water block with integrated pump on sale back in mid 2009, and there were probably some custom prototypes even earlier.
    This patent should never have been granted.

3. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    patents should be banned

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No they absolutely should not. The intended purpose of patents was to protect inventors from getting their work stolen, as a way to encourage people to invent new things. Unfortunately as technology progressed, laws hadn't.

Patents need to exist but they just need much better regulation.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No, they really shouldn't. The system should be overhauled, sure -- but for every few patent trolls there are hundreds of small businesses and inventors that rely on them to compete with larger companies.

6. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    That's capitalism for you!

Might not hold for EU if TTIP goes ahead.

Unfortunately, majority don't understand the concept of voting with their wallets then again, that same majority also want things as cheap as possible hence, rendering any point made against these monopolists somewhat invalid.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay Orky...Let's not make this into a government or political issue...

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    But that's exactly what it is... If it weren't for improperly written patent laws, this wouldn't have happened. I'm like to think Cooler Master isn't stupid enough to get sued twice for the same thing.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay Schmidtbag, let's not go against what the staff asks someone not to do.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Hell no.

But overhauling is nearly manditory imo at this point. Patents are losing their core value lately: "Protecting the inventor / creator of a REAL piece of work, art or technology."

A Simple Example:

Patenting a full design: OK
    Patenting "curved" corners on a smartphone: Not OK

11. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    Best is putting computer case in an aquarium filled with mineral oil. All air cooled parts now should be in a better condition than water cooled.

12. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    And say goodbye to your components resale value.. Other than that and if you don't mind putting up with the greasy task sure thing it will work well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Mineral oil idea never worked, mostly ends up in dead components due to overheating. Because that oil ends up being static as fans die 1st due to force required to spin in oil. And even when they spin, it is not exactly super cooling.
    All you get is material with several magnitudes higher thermal capacity than air. Material which takes longer to heat up and cool down.
    You still need method to remove heat from that oil.

That's reason why most of mineral oil showcases are done by amateurs on old HW which is worthless to them anyway.
    Professionals would not do anything so bad as it would encourage amateurs to kill their stuff.

14. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    I am all for AMD making things with water cooling, but why didn't they make there own cooler/block for it.
    Also to add to the ppl that are saying watercooling sucks. I have water cooled my CPU and GPU for years now. You can make the system pretty dam quiet. I will always watercool my GPU and CPU from now on.

15. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua

uh, they do make a fiji without h20 its called the Fury and Nano, hello?!

AMD offers something like CHOICE, silly nvidiots..

16. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    I think watercooling is a good thing but not for the mainstream user. My CPU and GPU are watercooled. Every device that NV sells is air. Which is what AMD should do. I understand that you can get a Fury without water but not the best one. I am not a NV or a AMD fanboy but I do prefer NV over AMD for the past few years because of what they have offered over AMD.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    there is plenty of AMD user too :)

just a thing the Fury without X is not a Fury X (like if you compare the 980 and the 970 (no no more memory gate bashing plz lol).

and the Nano need WC to unleash the full power (but do you really need it?).

just a thing about noisy pump:
    -the D5 is one of the most silent (the DDC "sing" when old), enheim are expensive for the good one and a bit too big to be in the PC case (mine is near the cooler in the other room).
    -or you can use in-water pump (ok it need a big tank... wich is not a must have)
    -oil is too heavy for fan or pump, but non conductive hydrolic no a simple aquarium pump is enough for circulation in the tank.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The American patent laws are what they are, as the neverending patent troll incidents have shown, so I find it incredulous AMD simply ignored all the Asetek patent infringement cases and went forward with this. Was CM's offer so juicy they just had to accept it despite the risks?

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    maybe the hoped they would be past selling and building FuryX before this becomes a problem.
    Maybe the deal was so good they could not resist they want to be price competitive

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Exactly, patents should not be available to claim upon inventions that are "open source".
    We need to get some sort of GNU or alike patents for inventions that are free to use, so that these patent vultures can't put their greedy hands on them.