AS 5 (rev 3) Cooler Review for 7800GTX

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by plac, Nov 9, 2005.

1. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    (2) BFG 8800 GT 512MB in SLI
    AC 5 (rev 3) Cooler Review for 7800GTX

Damn... that title should say AC 5 shouldnt it....

AC 5 (rev 3) Cooler Review for 7800GTX

It arrived today, I'll be installing tonight. I prob wont do pics, there are already enough pics out there for this install.

I do know my temps are MAX 78C with my stock cooler. And I enabled "auto overclock" in my BFG 7800GTX properties box, it shot my core to 567Mhz... but i saw tons of artifacts in 3dmark05, so i guess it didnt like it. I turned off overlocking for now. I will compare my new temps under max load using that drbtl.exe program, and will post results here in 4-5 hours.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    well..

my cards broke. toast. done.

i didnt overtighten anything.. screen is jumbled mess.. even after putting my stock heak sink back on..

there goes $500... ill have pics of my screen later.

3. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
  4. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Dude,

Im crying for you here, that sucks.Hopefully you teach peeps a valuable lesson posting that here. Spend 525(what I spent) you shouldnt need to OC it. However, if you do need to OC ,then unfortunatley you are buying the wrong product:)

5. Shotbothsides

Shotbothsides Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280 sc
    you got thermal paste all over, and it looks like the wrong thermal pads for the ram were used

6. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    umm... if you looked at the pads.. you'd see the memory imprint is on there.. of course i used the right pads.. and i hand tightened everything..

i never overclocked this card.. after switching heatsinks it never worked again.

lucky, i can go buy another card. and i will never modify a graphics card again. i didnt even have heat problems...

most expensive hardware i ever bought. ill never spend that much again.

7. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    only thing i can think of... the new sink musta cracked the core.

it will boot up all scrambled like that.. but it crashes before it shows the desktop.

ive triple checked the cards seating.. something had to have been permanetly cracked. this isnt a heat issue.

8. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

I really dont now, this is very very bad.
    I will cry a lot.
    Well, i see that there is a lot of thermal paste on there.
    Even, it went to the PCB, i think you burned it.

9. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    That mess is after i gave up. and wanted to make sure it was making contact.. I know to only put a thin spread over the chip. Thats how i did it the first time.

I made these pics huge on purpose, to show detail. No visible cracks whatsoever on the GPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

So, thats strange.
    I think you didnt applied the thermal pads where there are no memory modules as i can see right?

Because if the thermal pads were there, you could have caused a bridge between the components and fry it.

11. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    im gonna put my AC 5 for sale in a few mins.. just got some pics.. this was bad luck for me, im not taking apart another card.

i just ordered a replacment card... OUCH...

12. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    I do have 4 unused white pads which go on that back plate. It came with a strip of 8.

I paid $38 shipped. I'll sell for ????..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. skyln

skyln Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX
    The original picture shows way too much thermal paste. That might have caused a problem. Sorry bout that card man. Hey I'll buy the card off of you for $10 :)

14. chrisewaters

chrisewaters Active Member

GPU:
    256mb 7800GTX 450/1250
    man i recon its when you use the auto overclock, going up to 576 so quickly i recon thats what burnt it out. you need to make 5 - 10mhz increases and then test them going up by over 100mhz on one hit burnt it out.

15. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    I doubt it was the OC that broke it, at worst it would have caused a lock-up or reboot, not actully damage the card.

It broke when he took it out and tried to install the new heatsink.

My best educated guess is ESD electro static discharge wich can easily break a piece of sensitive electronics without you even knowing.

I broke a piece of ram like this one day just moving wires around in my case for better air flow, next thing I know my pc wont boot took 4 hours trouble shooting and found out 1 of my 2 sticks of ram got fried and the only way possible was esd since the pc was unplugged. I even keep my self grounded to the pc by holding the case but I must have forgot and fried it.

16. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    exact same thing happened to my 9800xt when i changed the heatsink. im guessing we did the same thing, stilltrying to find out what i did though

17. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    i been building my own systems since 1995, and have been a systems admin for 5 years.. this is the first time in my entire life i have ever seen ESD kill my card.. and thats all it could really be.. still in shock over losing that much money..

18. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I know other's have already said it but what a bummer man. If I were you I probably would have cried, screamed, and yelled! Check your P/M please. Take it easy man.

19. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    I just remembered another fact, as i wake up from this terrible dream..

I did see a spark once... as i was putting my card back in with its new heatsink.. i was aiming the PCI bracket into my case.. The tip of the PCI bracket on the card touched the PCI rack, and i saw a bright yet tiny blue spark...

sigh..

20. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    I only have one PM and it was from Lars..

and im not selling this for a while..

im gonna at least price out a repair job..

cuz i already have another card on the way for $550 anyway.

SLI would be NICE..