artifacts in games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dmitrice, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dmitrice

dmitrice Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    i own an agp 6800gs and i have realised that after unlocking the extra quad and vertex, there are some artifacts when playing fifa 2005 but don't have that with other games, so my question is are artifacts game dependent. don't they appear
    in all games?

2. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    yeah i think they are graphics intensive or it may even be a driver issue. what other games and benchies have you tried?

3. dmitrice

dmitrice Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    need for speed most wanted, prince of persia the two thrones, prince of persia warior within, GTA San Andreas etc, i only have them with fifa 2006

4. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    originally i only noticed it in doom3, and not in any other games...but i later noticed it in NFS:MW as well, which originally seemed fine...so im not sure if anything got more damaged while i was operating it unlocked. hope this helps. :)

5. LabShark

LabShark Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX70 SLI
    It may be that certain games AND certain settings tax your card a bit differently. Have you tried different settings to see if the artifacts disappear?

6. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Try a game with shader2.0 that uses almost all effects (like far Cry) you'll probably see texture corruption on some surfaces. My old 6800LE had a quad that didn't show artifacts in games that didn't use 2.0/3.0 shaders, but in Far Cry, F.E.A.R., Doom3 it showed texture corruption in some places. Also in 3dmark05 if you looked carefully.
    I also didn't have arti's in PoP1/2 or NFS:MW.

7. dmitrice

dmitrice Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    not really, but i'm used to setting everything to the max at 1280*1024

8. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I had the same issue with my old BFG 6800 after unlocking it. Most games would play fine but Far Cry & HL2 would show artifacts. I ended up setting it back to default. :frown:

9. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Hmm, try atrifact finder in ATI-tool!

10. wolf68k

wolf68k Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB AGP 400
    Don't trust that. I did originally and relocked back to stock.
    Later I unlocked again and tested in 3DMark and a few games and saw no artifacting

11. dmitrice

dmitrice Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    thanks guys

12. Verga_del_Brujo

Verga_del_Brujo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4670 512mb
    Kind of same question here. I have this 6800le, tried all the lock-unlock stuff and I can play very good Doom 3 with 12pp,6vp but in Brothers in Arms: eib, got artifacts, so I lock'em all again.
    The question is, can I lock-unlock depending the games or this constant procedure will wreck the card?
    I haven't tried more games yet, only this two.

13. AgentGOD

AgentGOD Guest

This is too late (3 months) for my post, but ATITool is actually very reliable (latest version at least). You didn't see artifacts in DOOM 3 because they were so minor, and weren't visible to you. ATITool detects even the slightest artifacting.

14. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I had a 6800LE too, and it wouldn't artifact in Doom3 (at first), but in later levels I began to see minor texture errors which would disappear when I locked the pipes back.
    It probably won't wreck the card as I've done it countless times and it's still running fine(in a friends PC, but he's happy with it as it is)