Artifacts after Unlocking R9 Fury

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by G-lad21, Aug 24, 2016.

1. G-lad21

G-lad21 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Try upping voltage, if it still artifacts you now know why they disabled those extra cores.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    First V
    Then 3850 -> Test it
    then if Artif. 37xx and same Test it

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yep 3840 or what it was is usually the max, not all cards can do a full 4096 unlock. :)
    (The core info tool or what it's name was that shows info on disabled cores is usually a good indicator, if a few of them are not in the far right position they are likely disabled for a reason.)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

5. G-lad21

G-lad21 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    So my Sapphire Fury can be different than yours?, here is a screenshot, 3840 shaders:
    [​IMG]

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yes the report you get for these shader clusters differ between every Fury GPU model and some of the newest models are even locked entirely and can't be modified at all.

For my own GPU the first two disabled units had the right configuration with both X's in the far-right end of that diagram but the other two only had one whereas the other was in the middle so the unlock I did left those locked resulting in a total of 3840 cores out of 4096 total becoming unlocked and so far fully functional without any side effects like artifacts or stability problems.
    (I forgot exactly if it was called 4-low or 4-high, basically determines which "row" will be unlocked so it's either the outermost units or the ones before or of course all of them if results are OK for that.)

My understanding and knowledge about this isn't completely perfect, at all, but in general when the tool shows that the locked down clusters are located at the rightmost part of that slider then those are usually just software locked and completely fine for unlocking but any other position is going to vary and in general these are actually faulty in some way and can result in artifacts or other issues if one unlocks them. :)

Via binning processes and during testing any FuryX chip that doesn't meet the requirements / expected quality is turned into a Fury chip (If possible.) with the faulty parts disabled so that's why this varies so between every Fury GPU out there even for later models like say the Sapphire Nitro.
    (Say there's one faulty cluster so it gets disabled but the Fury specifications have four disabled so three others that are technically fine are locked too but can then be unlocked via this method and should perform fine.)

Probably not the best explanation but yes the recommended method is to start with the lower unlocks and then do some tests either in benchmarking or just gaming as usual and if everything seems stable and there's no artifacts you can try for a higher unlock and then repeat this process, far as I've read most Fury GPU's can reach 3840 or what it was over the default 3560 albeit some will only be able to reach 3770 or what the middle option was again.

And then there's the few GPU's that can do a full on 4096 unlock without error essentially turning the GPU to a air-cooled FuryX, I'm not sure how it is in later batches but I assume at least the initial chips weren't that good for a full unlock having more actual faults whereas as the process improved more and more chips turned out perfectly fine during the binning and testing and more Fury GPU's became available that could be fully unlocked as the locked units were completely healthy. :)
    (Although on a few models there's some other restriction resulting in a total lock that can't be modified, I'm not sure on how common this is though.)

Sorry if my explanation is a bit poor, I believe the thread for this located here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1592384/fiji-bios-editing-fury-fury-x-nano-radeon-pro-duo - has a much better explanation on the finer details on how this all works and also reports from other users on how unlocking their GPU's went and which models might have a full lock.
    (It's a little bit more technical than the shorter guide though but also very informative.)

Anyways essentially the quality of every GPU is going to differ so they're not all identical thus unlock results will vary from GPU to GPU even if it's the same model.

It's the same with CPU's and this also affects overclock results which as I understand it is why the standard FuryX usually fares better than the Fury when overclocked and why two of the same model can reach different top results before becoming unstable.

From testing I can reach around 1100 Mhz with a small bump in voltage for extra stability but above that it ramps up quickly with a lot of voltage needed for just a small bump in core speed so I'm using 1050 Mhz with a slight voltage increase just in case.
    (HBM memory overclocking while a bit more advanced also varies a lot with 525 - 550 being the average though some few GPU's can reach higher results but it once again requires a hefty voltage increase.)
    (Although from what I've read a slight bump of both core and memory clock speeds provide better results than just focusing on the core clocks alone.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016