Article: AMD Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) explored

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2022.

1. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    With my rx580 8gb these drivers are not quite right. I can't lower the voltage as much as with previous versions.

2. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Odd thing started happening to me. I would start getting micro stutters non stop in my games. When watching my GPU metrics, I could see the utilization was dropping to 0 during the spikes. I tried everything to correct the issue, turning RSR off, disabling my OC, and etc but still had the issues. I ended up reverting back to the previous driver, because I could not figure it out.

I'm running a Asrock 6900xt Phantom D. Has anyone else had odd issues with this new driver?

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    No issues here, in fact I can get my 6800xt boosting over 2500 core and memory at 2150. No stuttering, everything is smooth.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I absolutely disagree - textures is the one setting that i deffo notice and would never run at less than max... shadows and the likes of it, sure turn it down a notch, but not textures...

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    From the example images I had hard time seeing any difference :D I do understand that I would most likely see some when running it on my pc.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It depends on the game though. And if you are trying to save on vram on lower end cards then textures is the best place to start. Just 1 notch down from Ultra to High won't make much difference is most games with some exceptions.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Try disabling all the deep sleep states using More Power Tools and bumping up power draw a little. I normally disabled all the DS_XXXXX features and up the power of the card from 278 to 350. Then set min core clock in Radeon software to 2400MHz and max clock to 2600MHz and just max the memory out to 2150MHz with fast timings. Also set power to +15 and then create a custom fan curve mine is set to default temps but fan speeds are 35,35,55,55,65.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That's why you never want a gpu with a low amount of vram... i HATED that i got the 780 ti's for that very reason - very often limited by vram at high res, which meant either vram swap stutter, or lowering textures.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    As someone who made the jump fairly recently, NVIDIA's drivers on Windows are on another class to AMD, and also NVIDIA seems to pull crap like this (artificially restricting a software feature), FAR LESS than AMD does.

AMD was always doing this, from antialiasing in the really old days, to VSR more recently, and now this (and perhaps more I'm not aware of). Like back then, I'm sick of people defending companies for no reason.

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    As someone with both Nvidia and AMD gpus in current use, I can not stand Nvidia drivers. Piss me off how slow they are on a NVME, how shitty Nvidia HDTV scaling is, how shitty their surround support is.
    If you are coming at me saying I am defending any company before the other, you can show it right up your dark side. IDC. Nvidia pulls alot of shady crap in different ways vs AMD. I do not sit here and cry that something is not supported on 6+ year old gpus from either side etc.
    And I am still pissed off about the GTX 970 Vram debacle. I bought of them at full price, and got a shitty $50 check. I had to sell them, spend money to get R9 290x and take a loss on the display port adapters I had to buy to use because Nvidias surround drivers were complete trash. All 3 monitors had the exact same EDID timings, exact adapters, and still would not work correctly. Not to mention the massive problems of using more then 3.5gb vram in SLI.

Naw, I say what I want about both sides. AMD has plently that is messed up, but still less of douche bag assholes like Nvidia.

mikeysg likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wait till he realises nvidia's cp slowness is a never gunna get fixed windows bug.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be honest I still don't understand what his issue was. I don't use Surround and I can't talk about that, but what's the issue with HDTV scaling?

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Obviously this is offtopic but I can weigh in my experience on this. When it comes to multi-monitor support, AMD cards in my experience tend to have a much easier time to set up and use.

I also found out something rather amusing recently, a friend of my upgraded to a high refreshrate monitor in preperation for a new GPU (he was still using a GTX 770 until recently due to the GPU shortage) and we found the 770 only supported a maximum refreshrate of 120Hz, yet my ancient (I kid you not) AGP HD3850 that I recently restored and sold, supported 144Hz no problem.

Since Maxwell though, Nvidia fortunately pulled their finger out and improved monitor support but their multi-monitor environment is still something that's left to be desired, particularly if you hook up a TV and have to mess about with NVs method of setting the over or underscan ratio (even Intel iGPUs have an easier time of multi-monitor setup).

NV multi-monitor works, but it can be clunky, cumbersome and sometimes annoying (when upgrading drivers also have to reset the over or underscan which is a tedious thing to do).

I imagine things are better now though since multi-monitor usage is much more mainstream now so I'm unsure how out of date my experience is (I've not used any systems with RTX 2000/3000 series GPUs so can't comment on how they handle).

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't comment on Kepler, I don't really remember what I had at the time (screenwise).. but I had a 980 (Maxwell) running 3 monitors + a TV:

https://i.imgur.com/QCUgrMS.jpg

The Acer was 1440P/144hz, Dell screens were 1440/60hz - TV is 4K60. I ran this setup flawlessly for years. I never had to adjust over/underscan ratios or timings or anything.

I don't have a shot with the TV on but surround across the same setup (I could never get used to surround, thought it looked dumb and can't handle bezels, I know I tried in multiple games but only had a picture of WoW):

https://i.imgur.com/vsTUeFy.jpg

In fact one time I even had an Oculus DK2 attached at the same time with an older TV (4 screens total with all kinds of weird refreshrates/timings/resolutions/etc):

https://i.imgur.com/jgKplf1.jpg

_

So yeah maybe before Maxwell Nvidia had some issues, not sure about that.. but I've been running extremely weird setups with all kinds of devices throughout the years and haven't had any problems.

To be clear I'm not saying Nvidia is flawless here - I'm sure we can get all kinds of anecdotal reports from people on all devices but just throwing out my own experiences.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Truder likes this.
  15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+

Indeed, it's not like I haven't had issues with AMD either. My old TV/Monitor, Samsung T220HD, worked flawlessly with an HD6850 using its DVI-D port however when I upgraded to an R9-285, when windows loaded the graphics driver, that was it, blackscreen, couldn't use my monitor at all so I had to use HDMI, which for that monitor was a bit quirky as it would say its max resolution was 1080p (yet it was a 1680x1050 monitor so when displaying 1080p PC content, it would use its built in scaler, it was FUGLY). Later when I got an R9 Fury, I checked again if I could use the monitor on DVI-D and again, it wouldn't work. (Other monitors I own that use DVI-D were totally fine, just the Samsung that didn't agree with GCN based cards). I thought maybe the monitor was knackered, tested other graphics cards and no problem. (I did make a thread about it here years ago but sadly it wasn't anything anyone could solve - and I long since replaced that monitor too).

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    For some reason I do like AMD drivers more then recent Nvidia drivers (was using 2060 in my other machine). Also had bit more issues also on that machine with the drivers. Tho I do not update my drivers with every beta so far on AMD.

I feel both companies have quite a bit of issues when it comes to drivers and it comes down to user luck if you have to deal with them. I know I've been lucky with AMD reading other peoples experiences.

And from what I can gather unlucky with Nvidia. But like nightmarish drivers is a weird accusation, only nightmarish drivers I have ever used have been creative soundcard drivers.

Like Denial there mentioning him having good time with dual monitor Nvidia. I had horrible time :D awesome with AMD. But yes since we are all using different setups with different stuff on our operating systems the luck of draw can be horrible or great.

Doesn't only come down to hardware combination that we use.

Maddness likes this.
  17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Been a user of both AMD and nVidia drivers thru the years, single GPU setups to CF and SLi setups, I can't say I've ever had a really bad issue with either (dodged the bullet when I'd missed the GeForce driver that had killed some cards). Even now, I have two AMD cards and an nVidia GTX card, no issue at all. I'd like to add that AMD has worked on, and have polished their drivers as of late. I'm liking the added tweaks and functionality that AMD has added to their drivers.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Even though I'm currently using an Nvidia card, I've mostly used Radeon in the past all the way back to the 9700pro. I've never had any really bad experiences, baring the minor red and black screen of deaths. A reboot always fixed those though. Apart from that have had great experience from both camps.