Artic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by salanos, Feb 18, 2009.

1. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    I saw the Accelero XTREME 4870X2 on Artic Cooing's site.

Now, I, like quite a few people I'm sure, are rather concerned about the pretty intense operating temperatures of the 4870X2 (especially considering my country's hot climate).

Also it seems a bit hard to tell if it's a dual or tri slot cooler, looks dual.

I don't want to void my card warranty by removing its cooler, etc., but do you think this is a worthy investment?

I have a CM Storm Sniper (default fans only). What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 ULTR/HYBR
    Since the Accelero TWIN TURBO is a tri-slot with 4870 I would have to believe this one is to. Man, it sure looks good tho. I would have to get rid of my pci azun prelude 7.1 and get a ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 or AuzenTech AZT-FORTE X-Fi 7.1 and put it in the top pci-express x4 slot. I don't think I'm ready to do that. I get good idle/load temps on all three gpus' now.

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    where can i buy this cooler in the uk

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm, I donno why ppl even think the 4870x2 is that hot to begin with? My 4870x2 @ 820/1000 idles @ 33-42 degrees, and if I open the window I can get it down to 25-35 degrees ( in everest ). During load in Fallout3 all ultra settings max aa and af it peaks at 79-81 degrees, not that bad tbh.

Guess this is highly dependant on the ambient/room temperature, as all passive fan cooling solutions are. Cool climate means better conditions to begin with.

This is with fan forced to 37% all the time.

5. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    looks good and seems to be good alternative to an expensive water cooling

think uses 2 slots right? and fits only on reference design ?
    removing cooler must not void garantie but most companies dont like it cant remeber which one it was who said is ok ask them maybe but when ur carefully its better than running card with 96°c

look at me i bought 2 4870x2 gainward golden samples bought water cooling blocks and it doesnt fit ^^ casue gainward dont use reference design lol but found a way to make the waterblocks fit on the card by some modifications to the card:) i prayd to all gods that it works casue of total garantie loss and was lucky ^^
    throwing away these bulk coolers is best way to extend the gpus life cant be good running at 90°c

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009