Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can you give me a link to some info on Fillrate, I'd like to research it some more..

Also I'm interested to know why there is an option for FSAA in the .cfg file...

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    How could "fillrate" be "anisotropic filtering" when there's already a separate option for that. :)
    (Off, low, medium, high and v.high represented by 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the config file if I remember correctly.)

Low (Under 100%) fillrate doesn't "blur" the image as such, it pixelates it as resolution is rendered at a lower setting.
    (Those Render_W and Render_H values in the config file for resolution width and height to render along with actual screen resolution.)

Anisotropic filtering wouldn't blur the entire image anyway as it's related to texture sharpness as they're filtered x amount of times (Depending on samples) and then drawn so at lower values or with it disabled distant textures (Well not that distant as it's very visible and noticeable.) appear very blurry whereas at higher levels of anisotropic filtering they appear sharp.

(Or atleast that's part of what I know about the technique, it's very advanced stuff though and I'm not really that knowledgeable about graphics technology and advanced stuff like stream processors, CUDA and all other things that todays GPU's are capable off, hehe)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ok but that doesn't explain why there is a FSAA option in the .cfg file, yet no GUI menu option for it...

4. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    A seperate option for AA was in the closed ArmA2 Beta, can be seen on some screenshots showing the Videosettings.
    The FSAA entry in the config seems to be just a leftover because it does not do anything when editing.

Edit:
    A bit about FSAA - SSAA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_aliasing#Full-scene_anti-aliasing

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009

5. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    System Specs:

Windows xp 32 bit
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    4GB DDR2 RAM (2x 2GB sticks)
    Intel Dual Core E8500 @ 3.7ghz
    And a crap sound card :p

... doesnt seemse to be NASA computer. :D

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The developers also said (On the Bohemia Interactive forums.) that re-adding true AA would be a possibility via patches though visual oddities (So called artifacts.) might appear on certain objects, mainly the edges of the shadow maps. :)
    (That is the edges of all shadows cast from objects whereas that's a character or a vehicle or a building.)

EDIT: Aside from some new values the config files and parameters between ArmA and ArmA 2 are more or less identical, several mods from ArmA also work in ArmA 2 albeit some more complex stuff such as scripts and models need a bit of work to function, same with new islands.

EDIT: Should be wheather and not whereas, not really a huge issue though, just used the wrong word, hehe.

7. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Would explain why AA was in the Closed Beta and is now missing in the Retail Version.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  9. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Looks impressive??? In what way? Total open combat, tracers? Smoke?! Yippe...You can turn off blur etc. My question would be, what online protection does it have, Punkbuster? LOL!

This is the one game that absolutely does not interest me. Looks big time boring! The gfx are not super hot to me at all. Tracers etc do nothing for me. I prefer BF1943 remake that they are releasing for free that looks amazing. Open field combat = whores who hide in bushes with scopes spending their time offing you in spawn. I prefer running around villages, buildings and areas more like BF. I've also heard this game is buggy as hell and will be released buggy as hell on PC not to mention feature after feature off because they still haven't gotten the game to work properly. Not to mention you will need todays top class PC to enjoy it in it's full glory. Thus the Crysis references...

Unless someone went in and saw the specs for the machine running this...

Windows xp 32 bit
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    4GB DDR2 RAM (2x 2GB sticks)
    Intel Dual Core E8500 @ 3.7ghz
    And a crap sound card

IMO, I believe these specs are a total load of crap. Win XP with 4GB? Why?

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Fluke

You go play your arcade games while the grown ups play there sims :p

But yeh, this is a Sim, Players repsect each other, and proctection is not needed on Most servers.....This is not your every day Bf2....

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There's just no pleasing some people is there....:wanker:

I am also a bit doubtful about the specs though.

Well put..;)

Anyone that hasn't played Project Reality prob wouldn't understand...lol

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It's leaning more towards "simulator" than game albeit it's still very much a game as to not be a hardcore simulator (VBS being the actual simulator version that Bohemia developed, used by several military organizations around the world even.) so it's not really comparable to Battlefield as they're a bit more arcade oriented and action packed.

Not saying one is better than the other however as it's down to user preference, even so there's already several realism mods for ArmA 2 to further strengthen the simulator bits such as removing crosshairs and indicators amongst other things.
    (And the other way around is true as well, there are mods for ArmA that are more arcade like run'n'gun and there's mod for BF and similar to make them more "real".)

Requirements are very hefty is you do push the settings but it's rendering a entire island (Not everything in it though, battles take part around small parts of the map unless it's a gamemode where the entire island is used.) but you can also scale the game pretty well although even the min requirements are a bit demanding even with low settings and resolution.

(It's more demanding than ArmA 1 though it's also a bit more optimized in a few areas such as scripts and the AI.)

It's a different kind of game so it definitely won't appeal to everyone. :)

Seems it'll also be released on consoles like Operation Flashpoint, pretty cool seing that it's not your average FPS game, Flashpoint 2 will be quite a competitor on the console front though, unsure how the PC edition will turn out but it looks quite good (Nowhere near the targetet rendering or concept art however.) although gameplay seems a bit more arcade like and action oriented even though the demos so far have been on easier difficulties.
    (Might be a good game still.)

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    any1 did benchmarks (or know any review) of XP vs Vista?, im getting like 10fps more in win server 2008 (which its pretty strange for my hardware and my experience with other games).

Too bad nvidia cant release a good vista/7 which dont black screen for this card @_@.

14. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    You could check out the ArmAII-Mark thread over at the BI forums. Most post their full specs including the operating system, so you can compare the results depending on the operating system used.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73610

15. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Banned

GPU:
    kk
    thats third game for me I buy, as being poor eastern european .. it seems worth 45 euros

16. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT

ty will check, but the difference its 5fps, i had 15fps difference bcs i forgot to setup vista and it was w defaults (i mean copy the my documents folder :p)

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Basically it runs like pure **** on any system...not to mention have you noticed the amount of HDD thrashing going on?

I was only using around 2GB of RAM yet my HDD was going nuts - like the info the game needed was being taken straight from the HDD instead of being loaded into RAM first....

18. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Most all of the FRAPS videos I've seen on YouTube seem to be running alright, and that is with the FRAPS frame hit, so I don't think it's any system. I am still waiting for a demo to check out performance however.

19. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT

it works good if well configured, at least on my system, 20+ fps, and around 35 most of the time. but well, for me thats playable :p

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOL.. Then you haven't read a single review of the game have you?...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...chmarks-and-visual-quality-compared/Practice/

http://thereticule.com/2009/06/arma-ii-the-verdict/

ArmA 2: System Specifications/Discussions.
    Official site.

Yeah if I tweaked mine I was able to get 35FPS but it was really inconsistent - like as high as 60 then down to 15 - 20 sometimes.

It looks nice though.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009