Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I'll probably give it a go again. I might get a Bigfoot 2100 network card to see if that will make any difference.

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Just found this on Rage3D, anyone knows this mod?

3. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Yup, I mentioned it on the previous page. It's absolutely awesome, and now it seems to have gone viral putting Arma2 CO up to number 5 at the Steam sale chart. EDIT: number 3 now in Europe. When I started playing there was only a couple of servers, now I think there are more than 40 and they're all packed. Go check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. pooley

pooley Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    Yep this mod is catching on, It's quite hard to get onto a server, good fun when you do:)

5. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Yeah, it sucks it's so hard to get into a server in prime hours. What I do if I can't get in, is that I join US4 or 3 which are running Arma2 beta patch. It's usually possible to get into one of those.

Some DayZ shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    is it worst reinstalling? (holds both arma2 and arma:eek:a in his hands).

7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Looks amazing, love the concept. I will definitely give this a go.

8. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    You mean: worth?

Yes. Even with ArmA3 around the corner, missions like Day Z will take a bit to be ported. So just install ArmA2 & OA into the same DIR and let the 1.60 patch run over both.

I'm usually on the GITS server playing their version of Evolution on Lingor, great fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckAkkDd0jo

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just wanted to join this thread. :D

Saw DayZ and decided to try ARMA 2 FREE before putting up the dosh. WOW..... On very high settings for everything, 8x FSAA, and NORMAL distance, I get 30-60 FPS depending where I am.

I guess with the hires textures, this will drop FPS down fairly hard.

Playing to get a feel for the game and so far, except for the overly complex control system, I can drive tanks, HMMVs and Helis fairly well. Just need to get shooting down in Helis/Tanks and will probably buy this soon.

Feels like the classic Ghost Recon on steroids, without the pretty graphics of todays shooters.

edit - whats with the ugly animations? It feels BI mocapped it at 5 Fps or picked Special Olympic athletes as the model. Running, picking up a person, changing gear/guns... They should look at BF3, COD MW, GR:FS, R6 and even CS:GO to see how is done. I hope ARMA3 fixes the fugly animations.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, the ArmA series have always had slightly disjointed animations; but the graphics and gameplay themselves are second to none.

ArmA 2 is also very heavily dependent on the CPU and hard drive. It's one of the tougher benchmarks out there. Check out the mod scene to shock yourself.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I know this is 2 years old but i like this.

I'd say Doom/Quake/UT/CS/BF3 would be arena's but ARMA - I dont know what to class that as since it is basically the same game (as in fps PVP) but the arena's are giant so i think one would class them as a map -

Football stadium players bunched in a tight area = Doom/Quake/UT/CS/BF3

Map of an island or large land mass like a city or country side = Arma

just a thought:)

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I think the graphics and performance for the FREE version is very good. Its just the controls, animations, and other minor things could use more (a lot more maybe) polish.

My system runs it fine for now, but am afraid of buying the retail version for hires textures.

I might need to hold off buying CO until I get a SSD. I remember GTA4 had (still has) texture popping issues which has higher resolution textures than this free version.

Looking forward to ARMA3 if BI can polish up characters, animations and controls mainly.

13. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
  14. PerfectLifeform

PerfectLifeform Member Guru

GPU:
    4Gb 680GTX SLi 1200 Mhz
    for those in the US we have our own server and everyone is welcome to join it .. its called US US 634 ..that's 2x the " US" they make us have that name no idea why.. but we don't put up with hackers or unfair players we just ban them.. so its a really good server.

15. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Just picked up Arma Anniversary Edition for £27 so pretty pleased about that :) Hopefully I'll be able to get Dayz working!

16. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 FE
    I've been playing DayZ for the past few weeks, quite a fun game but its very buggy.

I had an M107 (yes, a Barrett .50) in a saved tent get deleted yesterday by a server crash... lovely. (Yes, the tent was still there... no M107)

In search of optimizing the game further I have just put the ARMA 2 chernarus and DayZ files into a 4GB ramdisk, the game performance is increased a lot by doing this. No more popping textures, and higher minimum framerate. Also getting increase smoothness of gameplay, especially in lower framerate situations in large cities.

There is a lot of info across many forums about how to set it up and get it running, I thought I'd mention it here. Even if you only have 4GB ram, you can put the @dayz files into a ramdisk to improve some things.

17. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Active Member

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    Arma 2 benefits massively from an SSD. Its one of the few games where frame rate is positively impacted (minimums at least). The texture and tree popping disappears using an SSD as well.

18. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Definitely, a ssd works wonders for Arma2. So does a cpu that runs +4ghz.

19. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Now that I've got the whole collection pretty much which versions shall I install on my SSD? Just OA on its own or OA and Arma 2?

20. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    If you have them separately, then start with Arma2, then OA (it'll detect the Arma2 directory during install), then patch 1.62, then DLC's if you have them. Finally you can choose to use the latest beta if you want to. All to the SSD ofcourse. :) Looks like you have a killer system, it'll run great on your rig.