1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    New beta out, OA Build 72291.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

2. GPU

GPU Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780scsli ek 2x655 ek
    -thanks CONNOS
    -I had some issues with OA , so I removed all and just downloaded\ playing the native ARMA II
    -until steam gets the new patches , the dev's said not to use the non steam patches for now. no big deal,

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    You are welcome. I also have the OA Steam version and Beta is working fine. Even the Dev's are encouraging everyone to use beta patches :) even with the Steam version of the game. The beta patch is like a mod. I own Arma 2 on dvd and OA on Steam and CO is also working fine.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse

5. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    Just bought this game guys- Arma 2 OA
    Even after the the 1.52 patch update... the game is buggy with low FPS and mouse lag.
    I'm running at 1920x1080 res. all high and very high
    Not good for a DX9 game.
    Is the beta patch my only solution?
    Hardware specs to your left

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Set post-processing to normal and mention what happens after that, might help. :)

As I mentioned a while ago in a earlier post //EDIT: Compared to what's explained in the manual or in-game // Bohemia explained the setting somewhat better on their forum V.Low disables many of the extra effects, Low corresponds to normal ArmA 2 high settings, Normal adds a SSAO effect (This will hit framerate a bit.) High adds a higher precision SSAO effect (Will hit performance even more.) and V.High adds a even more precise SSAO effect (Which will hit performance a lot.)

CPU should be able to handle higher view distance and most of the other settings, AA is recommended to be on either low or normal as it's also very demanding, I'd recommend low and then setting 3D resolution a bit above screen resolution to upscale the image, a form of super-sampling AA effect if you want to call it that, which should give a lower framerate hit while still removing most jaggies.
    (It's some shader based solution so upscaling like this should work depending on percentage, custom values via editing the settings file works as well if you know a resolution you want to use, I use 1680x1050 resolution and upscale to 1920x1200 and no AA.)

If the card has 1GB RAM or more you can also use the "Default" setting for video memory, differences between V.High and the "Default" setting (Not to be confused with the "Normal" setting.) from what I've understood is that Default leaves all textures without scaling them or altering via mip-map levels whereas V.High still uses a bit of this (Reduces texture quality.) for distant objects to conserve video RAM usage.

First mission in the OA campaign is a pretty good overview on performance as it's a large open area and filled with AI actors thus testing both GPU and CPU (And RAM.) rather effectively. :)

EDIT: Beta is recommended as well though, allows the game to use more than 2GB of RAM and improves performance via various optimizations, 1.52 still builds on 1.06 code whereas beta builds on 1.07 and later. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  7. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Lower the settings like suggested by Jonas. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to run ArmA2/OA maxed out at a high res with a decent framerate with todays hardware, especially with a lot of AI units on the map and a lot of action going on. The present AI, even if not visible, needs to be handled by the CPU all the time and is not 'magically spawned/despawned' when you get closer to them. Especially in game modes like CTI/Warefare this puts a lot of stress on the CPU (2 Sides, 8 Teams with 12 units + the independent ones easily puts the unitcount up to 192+).

8. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    Thanks guys what a MASSIVE improvement
    FPS around 60 but mouse could move faster

PS getting some white or pink edge bleeding when I move around

Check em out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    most boring game ever. I feel jipped even having paid 50% off on steam when I got it on sale awhile back.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    let me guess you come from the halo school of fps? :p.

11. mehdi

mehdi Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    He most I find games like BFBC2 extremly boring

12. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    I wonder why people post thinks like that. If you don't like it don't bother.

13. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
  14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
  15. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    This game is not boring!!!!!!
    You have to THINK before you shoot..
    There are no health packs and jump boost containers in the bush!!!!!!!

Some games finish too quick for me. This game requires methodical thinking and doing... very real world.
    If I want cheap thrill I have Left for Dead and BFC2 and MW2 etc etc.

I just wish operation flash point was longer..

16. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Nothing is more satisfying than having an ambush go well. Well placed mines, a Javelin, and a couple MAAWs makes for a good show in a TWS scope. This game is all about playing with a good and cooperation bunch of people, otherwise you are screwed.

17. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    simple...this is a thread about the game. I own the game, therefore I feel as though I can post my opinion of the game. Like I mentioned earlier I think the game is crap. If its your most favorite game ever good for you, but no youtube videos, or people berating me is going to change my opinion of the game.

Don't like my post? then ignore it and don't reply, simple really.

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i will take your oa game if you got that since i not bought it yet! thanks!

19. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    I have Arma 2 and its tied to my steam account. I do not own OA.

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    same for me heh worth a shot tho.