Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    well the german version actually got me into Arma 1 even with its bugs. I downloaded the game from somewhere then bought the serial key through Morphicon Digital download. even with its bugs It got me ready to buy 3 more copies when the UK edition came out. The initial bugs did make the game broken so I didnt play it for some time till a few patches mainly 1.05

But it does seem they didnt learn a lesson from previous mistakes I am also expecting about 50% of the promises for features will not be there like arma

2. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    so if the buildings are blow'able.. u think they made it so certain guns (Barret comes to my mind) will be able to shoot into buildings and light armor.. alway wanted to shoot a BDRM driver while hes driving lol

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.armaholic.com/

Early helicopter addon from ArmA 1 and some missions from OfP that were later converted to ArmA and now ArmA 2. :)

Initial impressions with the digital download edition (Renaming paul.dll switches to a disc check by the way, useless unless you have the disc though.) are rather positive but some minor bugs and glitches still need to be worked out in future updates though 1.01 beta works pretty well.

Runs pretty good but probably doesn't scale much in Crossfire yet until ATI gets a proper profile for the game, that AA thing from that percentage based slider absolutely kills performance but with everything to max and it set to 125% the game is more than playable. :)

Some of the oddities so far includes hitting a cow with a car during training and being "failed" due to friendly fire (lol #1, save the milk) or taking said car, avoiding the grazing cows and driving to town only to be gunned down by groups of enemy forces (lol #2, so much for training.) and some missions objectives are repeated if you're not quick enough (Drive vehicle - Drive vehicle, for example, completing one sometimes doesn't complete the other so it took a while to beat some of those training missions.)

Nice improvements over ArmA 1 though some of the bugs need to be worked out quick via patching, guess a day-1 update will also be made available for the EU English edition seeing as it usually takes two to three weeks for the disc manufacturing to complete but the German patch can probably be adapted rather quickly whatever version it'll be up to when the game comes out later next month. :)

Also you can play and test practically anything in the armory section, even play as wild animals (Only a goat unlocked so far, pretty slow unfortunately.) complete with unique challenges like avoiding poachers.
    (There's even separate control binds for seagull mode during spectating or if you somehow were to get faded via the games protection mechanism.)

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  4. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Are the A.I. issues fixed for you? I tried the first mission again with the beta patch but the enemy NPCs still ignored me for the most part.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I'm about to go into the campaign but I've spent a lot of time doing basic training and testing equipment in the armory in order to better understand the new features and the way the game plays, was a while since I played ArmA 1 so I'm a bit rusty or what to call it.
    (Mistakes like when parachuting you need to remember to deploy parachute properly via that context menu, also don't deploy it immediately as it'll take ten minutes or so before you hit ground although you will most likely hit the painted target, or incase of the above example repaint the target.)

Still from the actual missions I've tried the AI has been very responsive, playing on veteran so they do have a bit of a advantage in terms of accuracy and reaction time plus some help features are disabled, more challenging and realistic that way.

Going to try the main campaign and see what happens, I don't expect them to just idle and be unresponsive but we'll see as scripting might be a bit wonky still.

EDIT: Allied and enemy forces are both very active, mission started a bit slow but once one of the AI controlled team members started shooting things got quite hectic. :)
    (Nearly a bit too responsive seeing as it's a night mission and silenced weapons, AI is very accurate as well, probably due to the difficulty level, got hit in the leg and had to crawl around all over the place.)

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  6. Sexie

Sexie New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6600GT 256MB
    Am i the only one with buggy textures ?

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
    Motherboard Name Asus P5Q (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Eaglelake P45
    System Memory 8192 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
    2 x Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 245B/245BW (Digital) [24" LCD] (HS4P700587)
    Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    hmmm, no texture probs here...
    im on win7 64bit...

but im on 23-27 frames :( all on very high and full..;)

gonna post screens later on...and benches...greetz

8. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    The game is buggy,in many situations freeses the game,and it looks like Crysis in its early stages.

9. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Hey hirmak, are you running a GTX260, a Core 2 Quad 9450@3,45 Ghz
    with 8 GB RAM in a 400W PSU ? :gape:

Maybe is the cause of freezes ...

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Went trough the config files and some launch parameters, most of what worked in ArmA will work in ArmA 2 such as -nosplash to avoid the logos.

For settings there's ArmA2.cfg for render related stuff and "ProfileName".Arma2profile for options and game related settings, plus view distance and unlocks.

The above is ArmA2.cfg with comments related to settings and what I estimate that they do.
    (Fillrate scales screen resolution instead of traditional AA by the way so saying 150% equals 2xAA is a bit wrong, for 125% the values are 1982 for width and 1239 for height so it's kinda trying to render at a 1920x1200 resolution, higher would put quite a strain so this really pushes performance at large resolutions.)

The above then is that profile file with comemnts where needed. :)
    (Hopefully this helps somewhat.)

EDIT: Come to think of it Fillrate and AA are kinda similar as MSAA filters x amount of times (Using stuff like different AA modes for ATI/NVIDIA like Edge Detect plus extras like Adaptive AA and so on) whereas super sampling scales the image x amount of times so it's kinda like a resize of resolution (Pixels?) so I guess it's accurate to call it a form of AA.
    (It does reach the same effect after all being a filtered and smooth image with less of the so called "jaggies" on edges and other surfaces or how to best describe it.)

EDIT: Launch parameters.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009

11. Sexie

Sexie New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6600GT 256MB
    is there any way to run it in windowmode ?

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
  13. mehdi

mehdi Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    Jonas if you want crossfire to work add winxp to the shortcut like this
    "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp it doubled my fps I can max the game out no problem view distance default.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Hey i got some problem with the manatten mision that u need to take out a enemy base, i have to wait for some kind of go code, i just need too wait or something or what? oO p.s there are few M1A1 tanks with me doing nothing, is that the backup?

15. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    That's a TAGAN 400 Watt NT.I had no problems even with Crysis,and look at the tests about this NT.It's even capable to work with 2 GTX285.:banana:

16. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    is this game good? I saw some review and actually not that much players like it. I tried the first Armed assault and find it terrible...but i was llokig to this one because it seems quite better. But OFP2 seems to be better. But i like the idea multiple simulations in one game...and since Armed Assault 2 it's now available i was thinking to buy it

17. evilfury

evilfury Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    1.00.57270 is this correct version of 1.01 beta patch?

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    how come ?

directly from nvidias website for a single 285:

"
    Thermal and Power Specs:
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 204 W
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 550 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2
    "

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_285_us.html

for the 260

Thermal and Power Specs:
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 182 W
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 500 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_260_us.html

19. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Just look at the reviews of this NT.I've never had any problems with this NT.Marke is very important when U buy an NT.This is very stronger than many NTs with 650-750 Watt Noname NTs:banana:

20. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    @ Jonas:
    Thanks for the hints and details on the config/profile/launch options. Figured some out myself already but on some i was not 100% sure.
    In the german forums over at armed-assault.de some guys mentioned that HW-Acceleration seems not to work even when enabled in the profile, not sure how true that is.

1.01.57631 is shown ingame when the 1.01 beta is applied.

The 185.85WHQL is not recommended by the devs because the game was not tested with it, i guess that includes the 185.81Beta driver too.
    They suggest using the 182.50WHQL driver.