Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    JonasBeckman do thoes ati drivers improve performance in arma 2?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    9.6 with the -winxp parameter to make Crossfire work properly on this OS made a great difference in terms of performance, 9.7 made it possible to run without the -winxp parameter which improved mouse responce in certain menus and parts of the game amongst others and 9.8 seems to have made some minor improvements over that, outside of heavily scripted areas and cities the performance difference between Crossfire and non-Crossfire is a pretty amazing 100% so I can't complain. :)
    (I posted a few screens showing this earlier in the thread, can redo them if needed as the latest patch - and beta update - further helps performance a bit so it runs great outside of the above situations or when using heavy AA sampling or the upscale filtering both of which are disabled albeit low AA quality is still playable.)

EDIT: Not the best comparison but it'll work, first image has Crossfire enabled, second one shows the settings used and the third image is with Crossfire disabled (Catalyst AI turned off.)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ArmA2.cfg
    UserName/ProfileName.cfg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    JonasBeckman I know these thing is just wanted to know if the new hotfix driver gives better performance then the 9.8?

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I find the actual performance differences between 9.8 and the hotfix very minor (It's already scaling close to 100% so it can't do much better.) but it seems a bit more technically improved such as less HDR flashing as frames are swapped between GPU1 to GPU2 and so on plus the beta patch improves mouse based response which further helps to smoothen out the gameplay experience.

Game is still very CPU bound during heavily scripted missions like the actual campaign and city environments are also somewhat more demanding than any other area in the game, especially with AA but performance manages pretty well despite this.

Not much else that can be done aside from getting a better/faster GPU once available (5890 X2 for example if ATI goes that far, GT300 GX2 for NVIDIA just to use example names, bit overkill perhaps, don't know how fast those cards will turn out to be.) in order to utilize larger amounts of AA (That resolution scaler isn't that useful albeit it depends on how you scale it I guess though it takes a lot of GPU power at higher resolutions and using it alongside even low amounts of AA is a bit much for current cards although it looks great.)

(Getting a fast GPU might make the CPU the limiting component though as it needs to keep up, same goes for RAM and other components as well albeit to a lesser degree.)

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
  7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Updated beta build, fixes a few issues since the last one like driving over enemies with their own vehicles counting as friendly fire plus the ability to enable and disable moust smoothing.

8. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
  9. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Good lookin out on the SCAR, the gun rocks. Hopefully the G36c or E makes it in too! :)

10. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I love ARMA II. Its great... my 5 cent's!

11. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

Will this patch work with the arma2 DEMO?

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    No it needs the 1.03 update installed (Adds the updated files to a separate folder and then uses 1.03 as the base with these files and the new EXE as a sort of modification over it.) and that in turn requires the retail version.

13. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    this game is even better with no mousesmoothing, thanks for pointing me towards that beta patch JonasBeckman

14. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    they're in the process of releasing a new beta build

ARMA2_Build_58879.zip

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

btw beta version are compatible online with the latest official releases

edit links aren't working atm.....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    thats the build i got mate. i to can confirm you can still go online with beta patches.

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cbp-caa1/news

Sort of a port over, early version, makes part of Arma 1 playable in Arma 2. :)

EDIT: Hmm it might have been posted already albeit as a different name, seems there's quite a few things involved with some of the ArmA 2 projects. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  18. ALien8ed

ALien8ed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti SLI
  19. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
  20. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU: