1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argh crap Calcium

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by pinkpotato1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pinkpotato1

pinkpotato1 Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6870 xfire :D
    Recently i filled my computer up using NORMAL water to leak check it because i didnt want to waste my coolant in case it leaked.

Later i drained it from the external rad and its since been standing but i looked closely at the pipes and they had gone cloudy, so i stuck my pinkie up one and rubbed it and it came off, is this calcium :(

I have some appliance descaler, would this be ok to flush it through with if i make it extremely dilute?

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    oh god, did you use distilled water?! you cannot use normal/tap water in it!!!

i think if you use some sort of cleaner, and flush it out with distilled water it should be okay.

3. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Use Vinegar, It will disolve the Calcium without damaging the Metal parts. Chemical Calcium cleaners have acids that can burn or disolve the soldering and the metalic parts so its not recomended.

4. pinkpotato1

pinkpotato1 Member Guru

GPU:
    I think ill use diluted cleaner then flush it with distilled water a few times and see what happens but if the cleaner is to dilute ill move onto vinegar or concertrated lime juice.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think the "dangers" of using regular tap water to clean a system are dramatically overstated. I've done it, no problems here, you just need to make sure it's empty of the water before you fill it with the new distilled stuff.

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you arent going to be able to clean it out with solvents. the only way to clean the tubing is to physically scrub the build up out. you can try using a wire clothes hanger with a cloth attached but it isnt easy to do.

7. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    it isn't about the dangers , it is about taking care of your blocks ,pump and tubing on the inside .

buy a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store for $0.89 to rinse parts and flush loops from now on .

8. aleslammer

aleslammer Member Guru

GPU:
    Not Sure
    If the heater core used was new in the box chances are it is not calcium but residue remaining from the manufacturing process. Use vinegar as suggested and hot water to flush. My own system made from two Ford T-Bird cores has been flushed and ran for one week using a vinegar distilled water solution twice, closed loop without the blocks and an inline filter. I still have minute amounts that show up in the bottom and sides of my reservoir.

You can look up radiator flux over at XS as I remember and find some posts concerning the subject.

9. pinkpotato1

pinkpotato1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Its all good now, 2 hour rinse with lemon and vinegar in distilled water. Now ive flushed it 3 times with distilled water and its crystal clear :)

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    well done, hopefully it wont relapse on ya!