Are you upgrading to Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by r3claim3r, Dec 15, 2005.

?

Are you upgrading to Windows Vista?

1. Yes, I'm upgrading.

22 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Maybe a while later, if I need to.

44 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. Never!

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I'm curious to find out who will upgrade to Windows Vista. And if you're not upgrading, tell us why.

As for me, I don't think I'll be upgrading at all. XP is fine for me, and I didn't even upgrade to it until May this year. I fear Vista will be a whole lot more restrictive on what you can or cannot do with your computer. There's also the huge system requirements. And DirectX10 will not be enough to change my mind.

2. Elleomea

Elleomea Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9)
    Haven't used Windows in years; don't see any reason why Vista would make me switch back. Even if it the various improvements pan out it's still closed and proprietary; that's enough reason for me not to use it alone.

3. 1wacko

1wacko Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI HD3870 512 MB in CF
    i will upgrade cuz i think MS have learned their lesson and they are making all effort into bringing out a stable and decent operating system, which will include DX10 and ie 7.

I've been a windows user since windows 3.0 was out and really never had a lot of problems with it. XP was definitly the best though and the most stable.

in addition, i don't have to worry about software being compatible with the os or not, which makes it easy for me specially that i'm living in a part of the world were it is not easy finding software for diffirent operating systems.

4. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    I won't be upgrading unless the few things I can't use with better operating systems absolutely require it 100%. Only then will I consider....obtaining it.

Windows Vista doesn't look like anything special, all the hype Microsoft has for it is just that. There's not a single thing in Vista that hasn't already been around in other OSes for years.

5. SupaSiLa

SupaSiLa Banned

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 256mb @ 430/1150 (Zm
    i think im gonna try the vista beta 2 tonight. i tried beta 1 and i loved it :D

6. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    I'll leave my currnet PC as is and probably put Vista on my next new PC.

7. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    If I get a new PC then I might consider it, but Vista only seems to offer refinements so far. If it had WinFS still included I'd consider it but without WinFS it's not very attractive (unless you like glossy system resource hogging effects...).

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Sadly I will probably end up upgrading to Vista a while after it comes out. It's not that I want to, cause who feels like shelling out a few hundred bucks for a new OS when the the one you have now works fine and you can get a better one for free. It's that I'm a gamer so I have to have the OS that games come out for. I wish gaming companies would just ditch Windows and go Linux. If that happened Linux would take over the computer world.

9. zenkmander

zenkmander Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950
    I'm probably just going to have a dual-boot setup until I'm confident Vista is better than XP. Not just in gaming, but in security and such as well.

10. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

no and neither should any of you.

BOYCOTT VISTA

FORCE MS TO MAKE DX10 COMPATIBLE WITH DX9/8/7

11. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I'm with zenk on this one....XP was, and still is....getting hammered by security exploits...the list goes on and on. If it weren't for my gaming habits, I wouldn't be needing it, and I too have been with it since 3.0. Still have all my copies of each OS from 1, to 2003. XP has gotten pretty beat up over the years, but that's to be expected. If Vista turns out to be XP with a shiny new gold ring, then DX10, or any other new feature (IE7?? what a joke), will not be enough for me to invest. I've already had beta testers tell me it's not worth the wait. It may be fun to play around with, but it's time the world starts to move away from Windows.

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Vista is a hog I gonna stay with my 2k3 Tried tested and true

13. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

xp is only the most exploited coz its the standard used

14. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Maybe a while later, if I need to.

XP is fine now, if I switch, I'll trash all that eye candy. Windowblinds 5 forever! (but it's not gonna be compatible with vista *cough*, for that is WB 6 I heard) :)

15. jx1-f

jx1-f Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600 256MB
    I would upgrade to test the new features and all. But the System Reqs. Are Steap. And what's this with DX10?? Not sure about that.

16. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I will, for free.

17. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    I am not happy about this, but I think that I will get Vista. Not because it is "good". But because games will actually run better on Vista (just like XP now). Also because most programs will be released mainly (if not only) for Vista. Just like Win. 2000 now. Many progs. are released these days without Win 2000 compatibility...
    So, me and many others will just be "forced" to upgrade...

18. Pastrami X

Pastrami X Guest

Do you use Windows 2000?

If so, I will be giving you thumbs up, I use Windows 2000 as well, and I have tried XP on my current machine, it was unusable, especially for gaming.

I have NEVER had one problem with Windows 2000, this being without any security software at all, just Service Pack 4.

The latest games may only be available to people who use XP, but I don't care, I'm perfectly happy with Windows 2000 and since it has given me no issues (with speed or security) through 5+ years of using it, then I will be sticking with it.

Vista looks very unattractive to me (those silly 3D window features look absolutely unnecessary in an Operating System), as such, I will NOT be upgrading to Vista, and nothing anyone says will sway this decision.

19. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    I like to get Vista for free and test with my current pc hardware...I ain't upgrade new hardware just yet (64 Bit)...I stick with XP and roll service pack 3 and future.

Vista might be little too late cuz PS3 is on way.

NO Vista Games come out yet !.

Very few 64 bit games.

Right move to upgrade ? I dont think so. I have been on Win 95 to XP, that is enough for me.

BRING COMMODORE computer back on business, I love old C-64 everything. and I like flip switch on INSTANTLY and ready to go.

WHY built in OS on harddrive ??? they are biggest problem also they should build Soild-state Flash-ram or something similar. tired of UGLY boot screen with cheap graphic and loading screen.

Peace.

20. Pastrami X

Pastrami X Guest

Oh, how I wish I still had my Mac 'Elsie' :p

(No really.. I do!) :(