Are you positive about humanity's future

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Sep 22, 2010.

?

Are you positive about humanity's future?

1. Positive

30 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Negative

57 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Will we run out of minerals in our main (Earth) ?
    Are you positive about humanity's future?

To explain, do you believe we will overcome the issues we are faced with as a race; might it be asteroids, the fact that we might not be able to produce a vehicle that can travel to another hospitable planet for us. Do you think the climate will wipe us out?

It's a poll to see what or Gurus think.

I'm asking this because of the LHC that is sort of discovering new things but nothing too interesting so far.

2. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    No matter how far humanity comes, there will always be doom-sayers and people trying to convince the world that humanity is destined to be wiped out if yadda yadda yadda.

I'm sure that day will come one day, but I'm also sure there will be a sign of some sort. Like the sun glowing bright red or the alien motherships on the horizon :D

Anyway... Advancement happens at an exponential rate. Previous advancements let you make new advancements faster. For example, half the technology we have developed between 1940 and today probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for the creation of the computer.

Take a look at the last 50 or so years. Humanity has done so much in such a short amount of time compared to the rest of our history. And it's only going to get more incredible with more time.

3. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I know. Hence why you see no vote for negative so far, I voted positive.

But with all those tin-foil wearing lunatics, once is entitled to ask how much of the population (we'll go with G3D pop here) is affected.

Don't get me wrong anything can happen, just that I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime

4. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I hate positive people negative people ftw.

5. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Things are getting worse,

Future is pretty much doomed.

Glad im not 16 again, wouldnt wanna go through life again, the way things are now.

6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Yeah!! Peter Molyneux FTW!!! :banana:

7. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Holy ****, started out 4-0 now it's 4-5 for the negatives XD

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    We're too superstitious, too tribalistic, too afraid of our own shadows to truly advance.

9. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No question about it, we're screwed :)

11. jimmyme

jimmyme Active Member

GPU:
    4870 1gb GS_stock air
    Negative.
    Its all about fairness. The world continues to be less and less fair. LESS people with MORE power/control. Rights are being taken away and democracies destroyed.
    But the good news is that the people need a crisis in order to demand a change! So if we live through it hopefully on the otherside it will be better! yay!

PS. For me, technological advancements do NOT mean a positive future for id rather have a balanced fair society, that creates fullfilling lives for people than a third iPhone 62 to call all the friends i dont have! :p

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    There's no reason to think that a third iPhone 62 doesn't create balanced, fulfilling lives.

13. waxbytes

waxbytes Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    I think our species will survive and continue to evolve. Our current culture seems to be in for a rough ride though.

14. jimmyme

jimmyme Active Member

GPU:
    4870 1gb GS_stock air
    oops, I guess the iphone was a symbol for our current materialistic, capitalistic system. And furthermore the current fascist capitalism dubbed Democracy that alot of us are currently living it.

15. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Definitely positive for the near term no matter what happens. Humanity will survive, times be better or worse, but we will survive.
    For long term...who knows, even Universe might meet it's end someday

16. jimmyme

jimmyme Active Member

GPU:
    4870 1gb GS_stock air
    Wise words i just heard:
    1- The economy is to serve the people and not the people to serve the economy
    2- Development is about people and not about objects.
    3-Growth is not the same as development. And development does not neccessarily require growth.
    4- No economy is possible in the absence of eco-system services.
    5- The economy is a sub-system of a larger finite system, the biosphere. Hence permanent growth is impossible.
    Manfred Max-Neef.
    Im impressed! Need to get into more of his stuff...

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sure, and.. nop im not positive about humanity's future, im positive about MY future ^^

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Put it this way, we will all be dead by the time the future really starts to decline, I'd worry about your kids/grandkids though...

19. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    the momment humanity gets out off the solar system and manage to survive outside our solar system their not gone be any end.

anyway if always hoped if their gone be any end to humanity i sure hope its in my life time.

i wanna see the end off the world my self ^_^

20. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Right now the outlook is very negative. Why? Its two simple reasons:

1) mankind cannot agree and get along with one another
    2) mankind uses to many resources and reproduces to rapidly for our small planet

We will never see an end to useless war, because mankind cannot get along. If you are religious or not, the problems are apparent. Many books of different faiths and world future forcasts elude to the same: mankind will likely destroy itself. If that doesn't happen first, mankind will continue to multiply and use every last bit of what the Earth has to offer, lleaving a barren planet that can provide us no more. Its only in the last decade we've heard much about "green living" and even still car manufacturers develop automobiles that pollute and use the Earths oil. These "Earth supplies" will not last forever.