Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AMDMatt, Jan 8, 2015.

?

Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

1. I plan to buy a 4k monitor within the next month or so

2.4%
  2. I want a 4k display but can’t afford it

11.2%
  3. I want a 4k display but my graphics card/s is not powerful enough for it

15.0%
  4. I'm happy with my current monitor

48.5%
  5. I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

16.0%
  6. I already have a 4k display

6.8%
  1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    As the owner of several I would strongly advise against gaming @ 4K for the time being.

We simply don't (and I wouldn't imagine we will before 2016 or beyond) have the single GPU horsepower for 4K and relying on AMD or Nvidia for profiles can be extremely frustrating in the realm of Multi GPU setups.

All this G-Sync/144Hz talk is great until you realize that most new AAA titles have trouble maintaining 60FPS @ 1080 (Max details/AA) let alone @ 4K.

Of course AMD and Nvidia are still going to plaster '4K ready' all over their promotional material and card packaging but as an early adopter it has been far more frustrating than entertaining.

JM2C

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I have yet to get a 1440/1600 monitor and they're only just now dropping into a price range I find acceptable, 4K is a long way off for me.

3. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i was gonna vote... but i dont even have a HD screen, so i said never mind

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    In a perfect world, I would love 4k. In reality, my expenses and responsibilities have grown while my spending money has shrunk. That is why I have my 8 year old 47 inch LG 1080p TV and the best GPU I could afford is a 280X.

5. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio X 3090
    I've never had issues trying to hit 60 in 4k. Just buy one now I say.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Sorry, I can't vote, My choice is not there Matt.
    I am going 1440p@144Hz => FreeSync this year.

I was considering 4k monitor for some time for programming, but in the end additional screen would be enough at any resolution.

But if you are looking for killer screen for 2015 then it would be:
    1440p, 144Hz+, Freesync & FPR passive 3D since screen has quite enough pixels and having 3D at 144Hz/fps would be awesome (as bonus ~ no ghosting).
    I do not expect such screen to arrive in 2015. Therefore I am getting Oculus Rift this November/December for 3D.

Edit: Matt, if question was partially to know if there is market for GPU capable to handle 4k with close to stable 60fps in modern games with High/ultra details.
    Then answer is resounding YES! Because while not everyone is sold on 4k@60Hz, Enough of us are willing to get GPU capable to drive 1440p while maintaining over 100fps.
    So, feel free to present us with big guns for 2015.

7. David Ryder

David Ryder Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX2
    4k resolution sure is great but if that means playing games with 30 fps I will always prefer 1080p + 60 fps.
    As long as a single dedicated graphics card is not able to display a decent framerate playing the latest games @ 4k I do not even consider buying a new monitor.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Really would like but I can't see IPS 120hz 4k coming until 2016 or so. Dunno maybe sooner, 1.3 Displayport supports it and is available but how long it'l be until manufacturers actually make the monitors... is the question. Not sure about IPS 120hz 4k, really hope TN is a thing of the past now though.

That said i voted for "I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)".

Oh yeah there is also the fact that GPU's need to do some serious catch up for 4k to be doable at high fps/image settings.

9. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

I had a 39' seiki 4k tv. Found the size compared to my workspace too overwhelming. What I am looking forward to is when amd listed their freesync lineup, there was an offshoot brand that was 24', 1080p, 144hz with freesync. That's my next monitor. Because unless you have about $1200 to play with, you aren't going to get the horsepower for 4k.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Eventually sure. It must not be TN and refresh rate must be higher than 60 (it doesn't have to be 120hz, at least 75hz). Also I'd like to see more size options. It would be nice if either driver or display would offer 1080p pixel doubling support.

11. InStars

InStars New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD7950
    I am happy with my 1440p Qnix 2710 that overclocks great to 112Hz.

Windows and many applications have not resolved the issues with scaling on high-dpi, so I prefer the readable UI elements on 2560x1440 rather than buying a new 4k monitor and not running it in 4k in desktop mode.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Until there's a 21-23", IPS display that supports both Free-Sync and G-Sync, I have no interest in 4K at all. The only exception would be NVidia supporting Adaptive-Sync. But, either way.... until they release in 21-23" IPS at a reasonable price ($150-200 USD), 4K is out of the question for me.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am hoping to get either a 1440p or a 4k monitor some time in the distant future. It will might be a year or 2 before I can get one due to the lack of funds.

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    We have a 4K 28" monitor in the house, and while my son is very pleased with it, windows os isn't. At higher res fonts get very small on that screen.

But granted, the games that support it look great on that screen.
    So I wont get one anytime soon. I'm still happy with 1080p and my current monitor.
    And if I had to get one in the near future, I would rather go for higher refresh rates.

15. Sampson

Sampson Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    Not really interested in 4K atm. Don't have the graphics horsepower for it (struggling to run new titles in 1080p/v-sync).

The low refresh rates and cost are a major factors as well as A major lack of content

16. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Current 4k monitors and current GPUs both aren't up to the task yet (imho), so I'm a happy camper 'just' at 1440p/27" for now. Guess I'll bite somewhere in 2016 or even 2017 :smoke:

17. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I have a 1920x1200 display so I have a while to go before I have exhausted the current upgrade path, let alone moving to the next generation. I'm not against one but they are currently too expensive and currently don't have the colour quality I want. But as well as colour and other quality factors, I don't have the graphics hardware to power it. I'd be okay with desktop work, I guess. But games would die on it. Combine these with the fact that I simply don't need that sort of resolution, it's a non-purchase, I'm afraid.

Give me a graphics card that can really drive something like that, and I might consider it. Though I'll still wait for the prices to come down a little more.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    My pros for owning a 4k display is more pixels which will be good for recording 1080p videos without it taking up your entire screen if you are recording footage in windowed mode.

Cons not enough graphics horse power to run any games @ 4k, however I can probably run the games in 1440p or the mode after 1440p which will be good enough for me. 4k monitors are too price at the moment for me even to consider it at this time.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    I dont agree with that as much on gpu side.
    Its all on the user preferences. Using 4k on my HD 7950 crossfire playing BF4 at high settings was pretty awesome.
    Ultra was not very playable at barely 30fps with no AA but
    High settings got me an average of 45+ and thats with 3 year old gpu
    Too many people wanna run everything ultra at super higher resolution,
    and I agree thats nice to have. Crysis @ 4240x1024 on my eyefinity setup is extremely nice at ultra settings but is hella demanding.

20. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56
    Currently have a ASUS VH226H 60HZ 1080p, but my next monitor will be a 4K monitor.

Perhaps even buy this year.

:)