Are you forced to work from home due to covid-19?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Netherwind, Mar 12, 2020.

?

Are you forced to work from home?

1. Yes, I love it!

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yes, I hate it!

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. No, unfortunately not.

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. No, luckily not.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 Pulse
    For me it's a bit complicated i still go to school but they're closed at least until mid-april (i guess they'll be closed longer than that)

I have my finals this year and its unclear if they'll held the exams or if they get delayed ..

So basically i don't have a job / work but i have to learn for exams that may be delayed :/

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Umm... this sort of thing has had a massive decline since the introduction of birth control. History would tell us that birth rates would increase. However, this situation is different in that, disease is the reason for large population confinement and not weather or other transitory event. Lastly, your claim about babies and Covid-19 is unfounded. Infants have no special defense against it any more than any other viral infection. I would argue, given the higher mortality and infection rate, Covid-19 would be even more dangerous to infants.

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Brakes were an example. Car could show some error light and go into limp mode, you might run over a hole on the road and cause suspension damage, hit small animal which destroys your radiator and so on... People living outside city need to get food and they need cars for that.
    Some people could use vans to transport medical supplies to hospital and so. I think car repair business is important and should not be closed.

Some people in here did treat quarantine as a vacation and now that virus is in Lapland too. It doesn't take many careless infected to cause damage.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Most likely thanks to them Uusimaa will be quarantined from the rest of the Finland soon. Not that I would be making trips though... If they plan declaring curfew here in Helsinki, now that would be annoying.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I work in film...so, no. We're completely shutdown. I don't see Hollywood opening back up for at least a year.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There's also the fact that most communities and towns use their local car dealers and mechanics to service and maintain their vehicles. My nephew is still working for precisely that reason. His place of business is under contract to service county vehicles.

7. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    It seems to me that with so many people in various professions, all around the world, now working from their homes, that there would be an elevated risk of sensitive data being placed at risk. For example, I know someone who works for a financial institution who is now gleefully "WiFi-ing" all manner of what is undoubtedly very private information all about her neighborhood. Sure, I guess her network is encrypted. I guess...

And, while that scenario may well seem unrealistic, it just seems as though if one has the patience, it would be a rather target-rich environment out there right about now.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    That's one aspect my employer has tried to emphasize to remote workers, they must be extra careful with any confidential information.
    Handle it only with their work computer, use only work e-mail, use a wired connection if possible etc.

But yes, if you really want to know what your neighbour does for a living, now's your chance...

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    edit: nvm / meh / bad joke

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  10. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I'm a teacher of English as a foreign language. All my colleagues and I have been forced to go online literally overnight. Now I'm a computer fan so it wasn't particularly challenging, but most of my colleagues aren't. As a result, I think it's absolutely amazing how well everyone's coped with the changes. The classes are, in my opinion, about 30% harder to teach due to reduced feedback from your students, but we're slowly adapting to the new circumstances, and the learning curve will level out very soon. In addition, we're maintaining a high level of professionalism, which is quite a challenge under these circumstances.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I´ve been working since this situation started but instead of working from home i work at a grocery store of my parents and now i work more than ever because my parents have to stay at home and because business is higher than ever...

And because i have to work directly with people, customers or suppliers, i took the decision of having myself test for Covid 19 a couple of days ago, it came negative fortunetely. So far so good...

Me and my family want to continue with the store open as long as possible but if the situation starts to resemble Spain or Italy then i will close myself at home!...

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Im a workplace designer,it would be very interesting how the future of workplace design will change after this shitstorm knowing that most professions are able to do remote work. Office design will change as we know it

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Or just get a Chinese worker to do it for you.