Are you a pirate?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by CleavesF, Jul 30, 2006.

?

Are you a Pirate?

1. Yes. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

89 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No. I pay for everything.

14 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Maybe/Sometimes/I don't know

42 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    hahah this is awsome 63.49% of us are pirates!!!! ARGGG
    :pirate:

2. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    every game i have on my computer and in my room right now is ether pirated or burned from my brother/freinds.

i wont pay 50+ dollars for a game that i can beat in 1-2 days.

the only way i will pay for a game is if i REALLY like the devolper (ex. 3drealms and ID SOFTWARE and serious sam makers)

3. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    i feel terrible when i pirate stuff because I KNOW it hurts people like you but i just can't afford all the software i need and the only other alternitave is to well, steal it :(

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Blaise: nobody said anything about movies..... but since you must bring it up.... i USED to download movies.... but stopped, since half the movies i wound up downloading were really crappy quality, and were a waste of bandwidth. now i either rent the movie when it comes out, or go to our local drive-in during the drive-in season and see two new movies, for basically $3 each and still rent the movie when it comes out.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
  6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I try to avoid pirating software. Even if it comes from a big company like EA or MS, most of the actual work is done by normal people. I will only download something to try it out or to get a cracked version of something I already have. Nothing I hate more then having to put in a CD to play a game!!

I don't download music because I simply don't really listen to any music at all.

I will download TV shows I can't watch even if I wanted too. I downloaded Richard Dawkin's Root of all Evil? and Johnathan Miller's A Brief History of Disbelif because niether one of these shows will ever air in the US.

It is a shame that I have to break the law for freedom of thought. A new dark ages is surely upon us...

7. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    Your point is probably one of the best ones in this thread. Nobody owns all the games. And after the LAN Party... why would you delete them? I mean sucky games aren't even worth playing solo, so why multiplayer?

I heard about this being very rampant a few years back when LAN gaming was in its hayday. Perhaps if more demos weren't demos but actually shareware with a solid multiplayer it would still be successful. Remember the Quakes? Dooms? You still could frag all day on the first episode of Doom. Sadly shareware is not the true "shareware" we used to know.

Lately shareware is essentially demos. Shareware isn't supposed to have expiration dates and such.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'd download hardware if i could.....

9. Bhstickman

Bhstickman Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb AGP 545/616
    What doesnt make much sense to me is that fact that everything is just skyrocketing in price. Im more of a console gamer than a pc gamer, mainly because $400 for a console is way cheaper and will last me much longer than a $2000 pc. But just looking through circuit city and best buy ads makes me angry, because everything is going up in price, not just games. I mean cmon, $40 for an xbox 360 controller? $60 games? $600 for a ps3? Things are just ridicoulous and out of proportion in the way that they are priced. And then the resell value of consoles and games is usually 1/16 of the actual price i paid for the game. Piracy is really appealing as the prices continue to skyrocket, but i read an article in the paper a few weeks ago about kazaa getting sued for $100 million. They also said that a lot of popular P2P networks were going to switch to a pay to download model. I know that the US government mostly goes after uploaders than downloaders, but its just so dangerous to pirate games, as you could end up spending millions of dollars trying to repay all of your pirated software. Being a dial up user i really cant pirate much stuff, so i dont worry about it much, but if prices would just be lowered i think they would stop most piracy. If i wanted to play oblivion with the settings full blown and didnt have money to buy a whole new pc, i would have to spend $460 on a 360 and the game, just to play a video game. Its just ridiculous to me.

10. Cornelius

Cornelius Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 770 2GB
    I buy some, pirate some. I'm cheap...

Don't get me started on costs. Sure, games cost upwards of $50, but that's really nothing compared to programs some actually need.

Especially if you're a developer. I know the prices don't seem to be very ridiculous to large businesses, but independent professionals get raped every time they need to upgrade. While Visual Studio 2005 cost me less than $100 (student license), it costs about 10 times that for a full commercial license. I'm actually running my copy on two machines (illegally, since it's a one-machine license) because I don't see the point in buying a separate copy for my laptop. Another job forced me to buy an expensive intel compiler ($500).

On the upside I got some nice tax write-offs when I was an independent contractor.

While software dev tools are costly, they pale in comparison to 3d modeling tools. Ever look up the price of Maya? The full-version (student version doesn't allow you to use it commercially) will set you back 7-8 grand. The free version of Maya (unlimited, i think) is a very restricted demo product that doesn't really reflect the actual product. How do you know if you'll like it? Why not use 3dsmax, when it costs less than half that?

Piracy is probably the only way to try-before-you buy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006

11. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 FTW
    lol badass, if you figure out a way - let me know!

All of my game software is actually legit, I download demo's whenever possible while I wait on the prices to fall before buying a game (same with hardware) - which means I probably won't be playing Oblivion until next year - with no demo to play either. :cry:

12. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    HAH! thats a nice picture.

13. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Ow do U rob software at sea me hearties? Do you use a cutlass or do you threatn em wit tha plank?

Ahh correct me if ya dare ya scurvy dogs, but spellin was nay a stong point of a pirate!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    it's Cutlass.

15. INGINE

INGINE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro 2800m
    The black flag with a skull, will about the whats called third world contries, here, a game is %25 - %30 of the monthly wage (here is at a cost of $60-$75, and the wage is at $260/month) but the guys with money buys the original, so if you buy a game you are broke, or, have a computer with nothing on it, not to mention that that wage is never enough to help you through the month, so there is alot of loans here :D

16. Photoshop has got to be somthing that people dont get a "legit" version of as a home user who will drop 300-600$ to have a "paint" program?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=photoshop&btnG=Search+Froogle

I am not bad with it personaly I download things that will never be in america like fan subed anime, games I already have, and somtimes I break the rules with a game I dont have but end up buying it if I like it. (tomb raider legends, BF2, just bought them both)

To that extent I am probably helping more than hurting since I would have never bought the game in the first place without playing it.

Freeware is not really freeware anymore its usually "demo ware" shareware is not shareware anymore.... Its almost not worth bothering to download anything labled free/share ware as you just end up having somthing for a week then have to uninstall it and it leaves crap on your pc like registry files and somtimes other stuff too.

I remember when you could go to tucows.com and look up anything you needed and it was freeware and worked 100% now you have to pay out the butt for cheap ass products that dont even work well, then the stuff that does work well and is well known is super inflated in price.

Best free anything I have found of the late is America's Army its a pretty good game and its free. Never seen a free game of that quality but of course there was funding there for it since it was made by the army and thus why it can be free.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  17. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    I am defenitely a Pirate..harr harr. I used to be a lot worse, used to even sell copied cd's when a cd burner wasn't a common thing yet. I've had a dreamcast, PS1, a XBOX and I think 3 generations of computers without buying any games, software or music. Now I'm a bit older and have some more money I'm not that bad anymore, now I buy games and DVD's that I reaally like. (Just bought the warriors directors cut and City of God to add to the collection). I buy cd's from artists I support( meaning I'd never buy a 50 cent album or from anyone else who's bragging about how much money they make. If they do, they don't need mine!). Actually I noticed that a lot of artists even promote downloading. I went to the concert of this rapper Immortal Techniques and he asked the crowd how many people downloaded his album and everyone started yelling. Then he was like: "good, see I don't care about recordsales! You came to my show to support me and that's what's important. If you have a friend that wants this music as well, burn him a CD!". I thought that is the right thing to say as a musician.

18. INGINE

INGINE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro 2800m
    I work on 3ds max for 6 years, I can't just spend $3,495 for a legit version, i would spend them on better things, THAT if i have them at the first place :D

19. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

after readind these and then Blaise's statement, well i think the little prirating i do will stop, though these thend to be things like Star Wars X-wing and the like.

20. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I'll be a pirate until I
    A. Can afford not to be.
    B. Cannot do it without dire consequences... and I do mean dire. Like "pickaxe to the head" dire.
    C. Am dead.