Are you a pirate?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by CleavesF, Jul 30, 2006.

?

Are you a Pirate?

1. Yes. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

89 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No. I pay for everything.

14 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Maybe/Sometimes/I don't know

42 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    lower the prices..and i will go 100% legit

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    Damn, man trying to lay a guilt trap or something? Anyways about piracy and third world countries if they can't afford it, then by all means go ahead and download, but at the same time we have to remember that those same third world countries are becoming the targets in the fight against piracy by the big corporations, who should just lower prices so all can afford.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There are many countries in the world where piracy is not illegal. Also MS charge over $400 for Office. I mean for the sake of us stealing, they are basically robbing us in broad day light. I can do the same thing in Open Office that I can in MS Office, are MS trying to make a joke of this? No wonder so many people crack Office and Windows.

4. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Can't buy a ticket if they're no longer showing it. And if you wouldn't pay money to see a certain movie in the first place; no loss for them. For the record, if somebody wouldn't pay for it in the theater, what makes you think they'll pay even more for DVD?

For example:
    Say you're in the mood to watch something and Doom 3 is on bittorrent. Would I actually pay money to see it? Never. Would I buy the DVD? No. Would I watch it if I had nothing better to do at 2am? Sure, why not.

Is it stealing? Maybe. Do they lose money from me? No. Whatever anyone thinks about it, it doesn't keep me up at night.

Lessons to be learned here: Don't make crappy movies.

5. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Once I was a pirate. At one point I had over $5000 in software alone, not to mention all the songs and movies I had. I decided to change all that with the birth of my son, so I got rid of it all. I have to admit, I miss my old pirate ways... lol, but I'd rather be a good example to my son. :)

6. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Back in da day.... arrrgh! but now.... by the book!

Don't you just hate that bloody Concience!

Being a Software developer myself I started to feel the bite of my own actions indirectly!

Same as stealing a candy bar from the grocer, just not punished as vigilantly!

Trade in your eyepatch for an eye-opening legal experience!

It is like they say, there is just nothing like a nice quality, shiny ORIGINAL with a manual which could be in colour! Shiver me timbers! ;)

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    how old is your son?

mybe if hes still a baby or too young to use computer..you can hold-off your non-pirate ways till the time he starts using the computer..LOLS

but going legit is the right thing...good for you

if i were rich, id go legit all the way too

8. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    My son is still too young to use a computer. He's not even 2 yet, lol. But, I couldn't convince myself that there was a good reason to continue after he was born. Also, there was the nagging possibility that I could've gotten caught and went to jail. I just can't imagine risking it, getting caught, and not being here with my boy. I've found that a lot of risks no longer seem worth it now, to be honest. Although, I do miss my street racing, fighting, bar hopping, pirate ways just a little from time to time.. lol. I'm much more happy with "Dad ways". :)

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    ^^^ being a dad changes things...

like my friend..an a1 a-hole..turned 180 when his son was born..now a devoted father

:cheers:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  10. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    I also think prices should come down. Things like XP for 120 bucks isn't too bad since that software technically lasts are least several years, but games and utilities are ridiculous.

I mean I just dropped 70 bucks on Guild Wars Factions Collector's ed. I couldn't see myself spend 50 just to get some CD's. I think $29.99 for games and say 50 for collector's would be excellent. Not to mention the quantity of games I would buy each year.

At current prices, I buy about 4-8 pc games a year. I'm really picky with games especially really expensive ones. Like right now I'm waiting for the price of Prey to go down. Unless I'm a big fan of the series (C&C, Quake) I'm not gonna buy the game when it's $49.99-$59.99. Anything $39.99 and below sounds very reasonable to me.

I mean at the high prices we have now, if you wait a couple months the prices go down anyways. Why not just start the price point at the lower price and allow quantities to be sold?

11. tsunami81

tsunami81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Xpress 200M 256mb
    you guys pay for software? where do you do that?

12. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    i had a pirate windows x64 edition, test it on my pc, nforce 3 driver suck on the 64 verison. so i went back to old 32 bit windows. now i am using the windows xp my pc got XP home edition SP2 OEM from Compaq. Only games i buy is Ubisoft games and rockstar games. and for the first time i am buying games from epic because of unreal 2007. music is no issue with me. movies i check on the review before i see them.

13. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    When people come into my store looking for ms office, I ussually just tell them to go download openoffice for free. Then they suddenly <3 me :).

14. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    hahah nice

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol. I only pirate some software I cannot afford. But I try not to.

16. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I like the "pay as you feel for it" option they got some places. You download a song or the like, and if you like it, you pay a sum of your like. It's been researched on and it seems like in general people pay more than the sum set as an "advised" sum.

17. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    i'm not gunna pay 3000$ for 3dsmax <.< even if i would have thous 3k i would not give them away :p

18. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    What places are these? That is an interesting idea/concept.

19. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    of course im a pirate!!!! why would i pay for something i can get for free... pfft!

20. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    my name is jack sparrow!!!