Are you a person who oils their fans?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Astyanax, Apr 2, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Is that this one? I've had it bookmarked for a little while but was unsure because it is 230mm, not 200mm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255288068418?epid=2254462551

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    You'd be surprised about the quality of old fans. I've got some Panaflo fans that have been running 24/7 (along with a pair of 74gb 10k rpm WD raptor drives from 2006) for close to 15 years now. Last time i checked crystal disk info, the raptors had around 100k hours on them. The more i think about it, i'm starting to think the biggest contributor to component failure isn't run time, but powering on and off. The temperature fluctuations between ambient and full load over time must work harden solder joints eventually causing failure. At least from my experience, the vast majority of part failures were in systems that didn't stay on 24/7

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The part number from spectres website for black should be BFF-SCF-20020KK-RP. And i just noticed that i am mistaken. It's the 230mm with the flat sides, not the 200mm. Though by the look of it, the 200mm might fit. Was the thickness also part of the issue with fitting a third party fan?

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I haven't purchased anything yet because I am still trying to figure out what will work / what is best.

So far I found someone use a Thermaltake Riing Plus 20, but it was so ugly and janky and doesn't fit right and had rgb.

Took some screenshots of the youtube video of them doing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess I need to open up my case again and take measurements of the original fan and try finding the dimension specs of that Bitfenix 230mm one, my gut is telling me they are the same but I need to confirm.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I found this too and is why my drives have been powered on 24/7 without idle for what must be approaching 10 yrs.
    Not had a single drive failure since then, only a corruption when my water cooler failed causing the CPU to overheat, nutsing my HGST 6TB.
    I managed to recover the data and the drive runs perfectly, its still in use on my new gaming PC (not a 24/7 machine).

Its not just solder joints that fail, too high or too low temp puts the disk platter out of size spec which can cause data to be partially written on the wrong sector. (This wont necessarily corrupt adjacent data immediately but can weaken it so it corrupts later during natural aging.)
    The same reason the IBM Deathstars failed except the glass platters would resize too far under normal temps.

Its not clear cut in my case though as I did 2 other things shortly after I went for 24/7 operation.
    1) changed to HGST drives only.
    2) improved cooling to all drives so they can never run too hot under any condition.

Before this I used Samsung, WD and Seagate Hard drives with regular failures.
    Since then I have used Samsung and Sabrent SSDs and only HGST hard drives, without failure.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've got 2 drives due replacing for RAW read errors (correctable toxic bits) and because i could do with capacity increases, and 2 that i want to replace with ssds.

7. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    Some great choices here! Personally I like to clean my old bearing fans and use some graphite grease application.

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The problem with oiling something, unless sealed, it can attract dirt and can actually be worse.

I have dealt with alot of issues such as this with over-oiling/incorrect oil/contamination via debris of specifc types of HV circuit breakers and in the end, instruct people not to oil any more (not in the sense of getting an oil and applying directly).

We simply clean, scotch bright etc and wipe with an oily rag.

I guess the same application could be given to fans and at the end of the day, they are meant to be maintenance free?

Surely if you are wanting to oil fans because they have become noisy the damage is already done?

Have a good 'en

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not true, grit and gunk in the bearing can introduce noise and wobble.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah, also noise of metal on metal.

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    In which case wouldn't you want to blast it out with air and clean, rather than add oil?

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Just thought I'd come back to this thread to share a bit of info regarding the ball bearings in the 200mm fan my case has.

Fan was starting to become quite loud, I could hear like a gritty sound from inside it.. took it apart and cleaned up up with paper towel and put some 3-in-one multi-purpose oil in it like I have in the past... then put it back together, and it was good for just a day.

Next day heard same gritty sound coming from inside, really annoyed at this point, took it apart again, did the same thing again, put back together and gritty sound still.

Messed around with the fan and the two ball-bearings inside it to no avail.

So thought I'd try a heavy degreaser on the ball bearings, the sort you use for cars... then cleaned it all out, put the ball bearings on a flame to burn off the leftover degreaser.. then applied the same 3-in-one oil.. and stillllllll the same gritty sound....

Figured the 3-in-one oil was just no good and did degreaser again, burned leftovers with flame... and this time got a little plastic tub and poured some 10w-40 car oil in it and then put the ball bearings in the oil and had them have a bath overnight... never tried car oil before so wasn't sure what it would do.

Now the next day, got a little syringe and sucked up some oil and then placed the nozzle at the edge where there is a very small gap between the spinning ring and the outer body of the ballbearing and tried pumping more oil inside, and there was a kind of grey mist coming out of it as I was forcing more oil in... did this for a while and then noticed kind of particles coming out.

After this, put it back together and freaking low and behold the damn thing is spinning with no gritty sound.

Fingers crossed this keeps working for a while.

Passus likes this.
  13. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I don't have any fans on account of me not being famous, Like:mick jagger or some one. But yeah if I did then I would oil a variant of them that I am drawn to. :D:rolleyes:

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What you into dude, are they Turkish?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_wrestling

15. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Oh no.I have been found out. :eek::oops:
    Time to get my coat and make for a speedy exit.

[​IMG]

user1 likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Well fellow Guru's... I am no longer the one that oils his fan :<

The previous attempt at fixing the old Antec BigBoy 200 fan didn't turn out to work very well and I've finally given up on it, if you know how old this case is, then you know how old that fan was haha.

I can now confirm that the Thermaltake Pure 20 ARGB Sync 200mm Fan will indeed fit inside the original revision of the Antec Nine Hundred Case.

I did need to drill holes in the case to mount it as there are none for the original as it just snaps in place.

That said, it's so nice to not have a repeating whoosh whoosh sound because of the annoying metal ball bearings used in that old fan.

New one is really quiet... and... very colorful when on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I might have to try that type of fan to resurrect my Antec 900. I’ve had to replace the fan a few times over the years.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023 at 4:20 AM