Are you a person who oils their fans?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Astyanax, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    I did clean up some old nzxt fans that started making grinding noises.

Took them apart and then cleaned them and added a bit of wd40 so it was only slightly lubricated and they still work now with minimal noises

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

It's on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3247832...m4b9e97872d:g:WY4AAOSw1BdhOZsL&frcectupt=true

Some results from UK as well.

Remember now, generic WD40 is a water-displacing spray, not exactly a long lasting lubricant... unless you are talking about "WD40 branded bike chain lubricant" which I have also tried in the past for ball bearing fan.. it did not work very well.

I have tried normal WD40 as well long time ago when I didn't know any better, it worked for a while but after a while it was back to square one.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Passus likes this.
  3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Yes I did not put oil on the magnets just a tiny bit inside the spindle housing

I just blasted the magnets with a can of compressed air I had lying around

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Just to update on the TF2 All Purpose Lithium Grease.. it seems to be working really well, no more noticeable tick from the Antec TriCool 120mm, decided to open up the Antec BigBoy 200mm yesterday and redid that also with the lithium grease and it's all working just fine.

After reading up on the stuff it has a high heat tolerance and sticks to what you want it to be on which in this case is really good.. the multipurpose oil that I was trying before seems to spin outwards away from the core of the fan and then dries up really fast, especially with it being at the rear of a rad where it's getting quite hot.

--

@Astyanax

Just in case you missed it before I had edit linked it to you, it's on ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3247832...m4b9e97872d:g:WY4AAOSw1BdhOZsL&frcectupt=true